Who knows when Native Americans was granted citizenship?? Very strange.

by jam 52 Replies latest jw friends

• VIII
    VIII

Very interesting thread. Usually these are targeted at the USA; I don't have answers, yet I'm now very curious to watch this play out.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Very interesting, indeed.

I am a Deep South African-American who experienced some of the same injustices described by Marmot; I, too, have been told to just get over it.

• designs
    designs

The groups in power rely on- 'just get over it'.

There are no amount of subsidies to satisfy the rich but they have a pretty good idea how little a poor person should live on...

• snowbird
    snowbird

@ Designs

AMEN!!!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

And I grow weary of being told that natives are shiftless tax-exempt drunks.

-------------

As were the Irish and almost every other people under the sun and you know what? When they were shipped off their land, when they were starved out, when they were hunted and slaughtered and sold into slavery, when whole villages were wiped out, when children were forced to change their names and forced to adhere to religion, when they were poor and shipped from their mother country as 5 year olds, - they were told to get over it. They had no choice. It is the way of history - people move, they war, they occupy - and unless everyone works together, nobody wins. So when you grow 'weary', look at the other side of it - people who have fled, been forced to leave, shipped out, shackled and otherwise been subjected to horrors of thousands of years - sometimes their weariness may come from their own history, their suffering, the recognition that people lack of knowledge, understanding or unity for what they lost and the understanding that a country is not 'made' by one people alone. Just a few examples - of a great, great, many. Suffering has not and is not owned nor felt by only one people - history is full of such incidents around the world. sw

Bodies of 800 Babies Were Found in Sewer Tank in Ireland

| June 5, 2014 | ----------------------------------------------

Mass Grave of Dead Babies in Ireland Used as Guinea Pigs for Pharmaceutical Company

By Harriet Arkell, Neil Michael, The Daily Mail

08 June 14

-------------------------------------------------

Irish Slaves - The Irish slave trade began when James II sold 30,000 Irish prisoners as slaves to the New World. His Proclamation of 1625 required Irish political prisoners be sent overseas and sold to English settlers in the West Indies. By the mid 1600s, the Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat. At that time, 70% of the total population of Montserrat were Irish slaves.

Ireland quickly became the biggest source of human livestock for English merchants. The majority of the early slaves to the New World were actually white.

From 1641 to 1652, over 500,000 Irish were killed by the English and another 300,000 were sold as slaves. Ireland’s population fell from about 1,500,000 to 600,000 in one single decade. Families were ripped apart as the British did not allow Irish dads to take their wives and children with them across the Atlantic. This led to a helpless population of homeless women and children. Britain’s solution was to auction them off as well.

During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.

----------

There is a movie out made in Australia about the child trafficking that England was part of - excellent film -

In 200 years it is estimated that 150,000 British children were dumped around the globe. Between 1912 and 1970, about 7000 were shipped to Australia. The first big hurt for those children was the rejection. They couldn't understand what they had done that was so wrong that their own country didn't want them. They were promised that loving families were waiting to adopt them but they were delivered into institutionalised abuse. Very few were adopted or fostered.

The whole system was based on lies. The majority of the children had mothers who were alive: women who had been told that their child had been adopted in Britain or had died. Many had put their children into care until they got back on their feet.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/i-can-still-hear-the-kids-screams-20110611-1fyap.html#ixzz34u8Bxf3E

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Consider this: the aboriginal population in Canada is roughly 4.3% of the overall population, guess what percentage of land we have to live on and create an economy with?

------

You also have a choice - you can live anywhere you wish in Canada. Traditions move with you - Canadians every day are told to get off their collective asses and move to find a job, leave your family, your church, your community behind - there is no sympathy for anyone who complains. Let me point out Chief Clarence Louie - respected and admired for the thriving, motivated community he leads. This is what can be -sw

--------------------------------

Speaking to a large aboriginal conference and some of the attendees, including a few who hold high office, have straggled in.

'I can't stand people who are late, he says into the microphone. Indian Time doesn't cut it. '
    Some giggle, but no one is quite sure how far he is going to go. Just sit back and listen:

'My first rule for success is Show up on time.'
    'My No. 2 rule for success is follow Rule No. 1.'
    'If your life sucks, it's because you suck.'
    'Quit your sniffling.'
    'Join the real world. Go to school, or get a job.'
    'Get off of welfare. Get off your butt.'

He pauses, seeming to gauge whether he dare, then does.
    'People often say to me, How you doin'? Geez I'm working with Indians what do you think?'
    Now they are openly laughing ... applauding. Clarence Louie is everything that was advertised and more.

'Our ancestors worked for a living, he says. So should you.'

He is, fortunately, aboriginal himself. If someone else stood up and said these things - the white columnist standing there with his mouth open, for example - you'd be seen as a racist. Instead, Chief Clarence Louie is seen, increasingly, as one of the most interesting and innovative native leaders in the country even though he avoids national politics.

He has come here to Fort McMurray because the aboriginal community needs, desperately, to start talking about economic development and what all this multibillion-dollar oil madness might mean,for good and for bad.

Clarence Louie is chief and CEO of the Osoyoos Band in British Columbia's South Okanagan. He is 44 years old, though he looks like he would have been an infant when he began his remarkable 20-year-run as chief. He took a band that had been declared bankrupt and taken over by Indian Affairs and he has turned in into an inspiration.

• designs
    designs

It very often is 'racist' when a person of another race says some of the above about another race just like a man speaking to a woman can say misogynistic things while woman to woman blunt talk can be very different.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

The article on Chief Louie is not about race - it is about leadership. He has accomplished a great deal - and it is his positive message that should be held up as an example of what can be - part of the solution - not the problem. His message is not always approved of when he speaks at events because even on reserve, those who benefit from the status quo don't want change.

sw

• snowbird
    snowbird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOPFjIvqr1I

This is how it was when I was growing up in the Black Belt of Alabama.

There were 13 kids with a per capita income of $1,500.00 or less.

You do the math.

How did we make it?

Resourcefulness and ingenuity - on the part of our mother and us.

• jam
    jam

The whole point of my op, whatever you may call it racism, corruption

from the power in charge it is still happening today. We have all at one time

had some type of injustice played out against each of us, Irish, Jews, blacks,

and etc. But what is happening in Canada Today is so surprising. Do we

have any Native Americans here, if so are you experiencing the same

problems in Canada here in the US???? To be honest , I was happen

to see Casnios opening up on the Indian rev, but it has hurt my pocket book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit