Help please!!!

by braincleaned 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

My mom just hung up on me, convinced that the Borg has never said that Jesus was NOT the mediator between the sheep and him!
    I KNOW they have presumptuously took the place of Jesus as mediators — Can someone pleeeeeeze give me the WT references of this?
    She does not believe me.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Have you tried jwfacts.com?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

*** w79 4/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Is Jesus the “mediator” only for anointed Christians?

... At a time when God was selecting those to be taken into that new covenant, the apostle Paul wrote that Christ was the “one mediator between God and men.” (1 Tim. 2:5) Reasonably Paul was here using the word “mediator” in the same way he did the other five times, which occurred before the writing of 1 Timothy 2:5, referring to those then being taken into the new covenant for which Christ is “mediator.” So in this strict Biblical sense Jesus is the “mediator” only for anointed Christians.

This view was reaffirmed 10 years later:

*** w89 8/15 p. 30-1 Questions From Readers ***

□ Is Jesus the Mediator only for spirit-anointed Christians or for all mankind, since 1 Timothy 2:5, 6 speaks of him as the “mediator” who “gave himself a corresponding ransom for all”?

... The people of all nations who have the hope of everlasting life on earth benefiteven now from Jesus’ services. Though he is not their legal Mediator, for they are not in the new covenant, he is their means of approaching Jehovah. Christ said: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6) All who will gain life on earth must direct their prayers to Jehovah through Jesus. (John 14:13, 23, 24) Jesus also serves as a compassionate High Priest who is able to apply in their behalf the benefits of his sacrifice, allowing them to gain forgiveness and eventual salvation.—Acts 4:12; Hebrews 4:15.

Consequently, 1 Timothy 2:5, 6 is not using “mediator” in the broad sense common in many languages. It is not saying that Jesus is a mediator between God and all mankind. Rather, it refers to Christ as legal Mediator (or, “attorney”) of the new covenant, this being the restricted way in which the Bible uses the term.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

THANK YOU soooo much! I need all the amunition I can get!!!
    Thank you a million times!

• Ding
    Ding

WT, "Do You Remember?" 12/15/89, p.30

"In what sense does Paul use the term “mediator” when referring to Jesus at 1 Timothy 2:5, 6?
    In this text, Paul uses the Greek word me·si′tes for “mediator,” which term has a legal significance, so he is not using this word in the broad sense common in many languages. Hence, Paul is not saying that Jesus is Mediator between God and all mankind. Rather, he is referring to Christ as legal Mediator of the new covenant, which laid the basis for Christ’s anointed followers to share with him in his heavenly Kingdom. (2 Corinthians 5:1, 5; Ephesians 1:13, 14; Hebrews 8:7-13)—8/15, pages 30, 31."

On the other hand, in refuting the Catholic view of saints interceding for people, Reasoning from the Scriptures, p. 184, says, "“There is only one God, and there is only one mediator between God and mankind, himself a man, Christ Jesus.” (There is no allowance here for others to serve in the role of mediator for the members of Christ’s congregation.)"

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Watchtower April 1, 1979 Page 31:

Likewise, the Greater Moses, Jesus Christ, is not the Mediator between Jehovah God and all mankind. He is the Mediator between his heavenly Father, Jehovah God, and the nation of spiritual Israel, which is limited to only 144,000 members." Worldwide Security Under the "Prince of Peace" pp.10-11

"Is Jesus the "mediator" only for anointed Christians? ... So in this strict Biblical sense Jesus is the "mediator" only for anointed Christians." Watchtower 1979 Apr 1 p.31

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/mediator.php

• KateWild
    KateWild

Hey Vince,

Glad you got what you needed so quickly. Sorry to see you're having problems with your mum. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Take care Kate xx

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

See also http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2008922#p15

... God can then take them into the new covenant with the prospect of their becoming heavenly king-priests! As their Mediator, Jesus assists them in maintaining a clean standing before God.—Heb. 2:16.

14 What about those who are not in the new covenant, those who hope to live forever on earth, not in heaven? While not participants in the new covenant, these are beneficiaries of it. They receive forgiveness of their sins and are declared righteous as God’s friends. (Jas. 2:23; 1 John 2:1, 2) Whether we have a heavenly hope or an earthly hope, each one of us has good reason to appreciate Jesus’ role as the Mediator of the new covenant.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Spot on Ding! Thank you so much!

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I love all of yoou SO much!!! THank you! THank you! THank you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit