Biblical verses my JW mom gave me for shunning

by bsand20 23 Replies latest jw friends

• bsand20
    bsand20

John 2:9-11-Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister [a] is still in the darkness. 10 Anyone who loves their brother and sister [b] lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble. 11 But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them.

Isaiah 1:18-Come now, let us settle the matter,”
    says the Lord .
    “Though your sins are like scarlet,
    they shall be as white as snow;
    though they are red as crimson,
    they shall be like wool.

Luke 15:1-7-Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. 2 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”

3 Then Jesus told them this parable: 4 “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? 5 And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders 6 and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ 7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

Isaiah 55:6-7-Seek the Lord while he may be found;
    call on him while he is near.
    7 Let the wicked forsake their ways
    and the unrighteous their thoughts.
    Let them turn to the Lord , and he will have mercy on them,
    and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

And the almighty 1 Cor 5:9-13-

I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister [a] but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.” [b]

I have some understanding of how these verses are twisted around to fit JW doctrine, but what are the verses really referring to?

• Ding
    Ding

The John 2 passage is about loving one's spiritual brothers. It has nothing to do with shunning people.

The Isaiah 1 passage is about forgiveness of sins. It has nothing to do with shunning people.

The Luke 15 passage is about the Pharisees criticizing Jesus for associating with sinners. It was the Pharisees who thought he should shun people.

The Isaiah 55 passage is about forgiveness, not shunning.

The 1 Corinthians 5 passage is about not allowing professing Christians to get engage with obvious hypocrisy. It has nothing to do with shunning people who disagree with a governing body that claims to speak for God.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

The first verse is actually in 1 John ... Do you hate a fellow JW?

The second verse (Is. 1:18) is unrelated... This a is a famous born again scripture though.

Luke 15 argues against shunning

Is. 55 is unrelated and I can't see how this even applies.

1 corinthians 5.... aha finally a verse that seems to be about shunning... are you a: sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler? If not then it doesn;t apply.

Why JWs even use the bible nowdays boggoles my mind

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Talk about a twisting of Scripture.

Luke 15:1-7- Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. 2 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”

Here it shows that Jesus ate with sinners, exactly the opposite point you mum is making. Although it goes on to say they rejoice when a sinner returns does not change the fact that the Scripture shows eatting with sinners is ok.

In 1 Cor in says not to eat with a brother or sister that is engaging in some specific practices. I am not sure if you are engaging in whatever you were disfellowshipped for, but if you no longer claim to be a practicing JW then the Scripture does not apply.

There is a detailed article on why disfellowshipping is wrong at http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/disfellowship-shunning.php

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

I do one 1 Corthians 5

Start with 15 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named[ a ] among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife!

Gentiles versus what Jewish?

Not too sure but under Jewish law even if the father died, the son could not take his fathers young wife. If the father was a live it is the same.

It would be a disgrace for even the Gentiles son to live with his fathers wife.

Anyhow, no one knows if the father was living or dead.

I think Bart Erdhman actually did a good job explaining what was going on at the time. Christian movement was growing among the Jewish. Maybe, this young guy and many more thought they could do whatever because they were no longer under the law. Everthing goes! Because they as Christians were under the law if law.

By the time letters were written to Paul he could have been angry and shocked. So in 1 Corthians 5 he us anwering what the congeregation should do. Do not eat with such ones. Referring to the son who took his father's wife or such ones.

It took Paul about a year( as you are aware JW dfd they keep the person out for about a year)to realise what he had done! He was feeling anguish a bit if drama!

2 Corinthian about 2. is called Paul's Teary letter!

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

So the JW are great with quoting 1 Corthians 5:12 put the wicked man out! or away!

2Corthians 2 - Pauls Teary Letter:

3 And I wrote this very thing to you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow over those from whom I ought to have joy, having confidence in you all that my joy is the joy of you all. 4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote to you, with many tears, not that you should be grieved, but that you might know the love which I have so abundantly for you.

5 But if anyone has caused grief, he has not grieved me, but all of you to some extent—not to be too severe. 6 This punishment which was inflicted by the majority is sufficient for such a man, 7 so that, on the contrary, you ought rather to forgive and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one be swallowed up with too much sorrow. 8 Therefore I urge you to reaffirm your love to him. 9 For to this end I also wrote, that I might put you to the test, whether you are obedient in all things. 10 Now whom you forgive anything, I also forgive. For if indeed I have forgiven anything, I have forgiven that one[a] for your sakes in the presence of Christ, 11 lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices

As far as I am concerned, Paul had a change of heart after he set matters straight about the law of love. He did not mean to throw everthing away! For example, sex with ones Father's wife and taking her for his own! Most of what is mentioned in 1 Corthians 5 are written in the ten commandments.

So I imagine during Paul's time they were throwing the ten commandments away and praticing a new movement with different laws, "Law of love!"

The point is the JWs do not apply 1 Corthians 5 to 2 Corthians 2. Only until they want to reinstate someone. It misapplied!

Considering one does not throw the wicked person out to mean let them sit in the back row!

Many commentaries call 2 Corthians 2 Paul's "Teary Letter"

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

I, for one, couldn't care less what the Bible says on ANY subject. It's really all just utter nonsense. I will tell this to the next Witness who comes to my door: Come into the 21st Century and stop salivating over something written thousands of years ago. I don't care whose 'interpretation' it is.....I refuse to buy into such rubbish.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Compare Paul's Teary Letter to WT rules and harsh cruel punishment!

Paul actually was anguished over his past letter he wrote in 1 Corthians 5. He cried many tears!

Enough to move him to write to forgive this person.

One more thought in 2 Corinthians 1

23 Moreover I call God as witness against my soul, that to spare you I came no more to Corinth.

It was against his soul! to spare the congregation, why? Because they neglected to forgive! After tgat is his big forgiveness words.

So what ever you think you have done the only thing one needs to do is trust God for forgiveness.

Also, when someone sins the test is on the congregation to forgive because the sinner was immediately forgiven through prayer.

WT seems to neglect this very important concept.

• Heaven
    Heaven

What Navytown said.

If any Witnesses use these scriptures on me to justify shunning I'll just reply "I never did agree with the Watchtower interpretation of scripture even as a kid. Guess that's one big reason I'm not a Witness and never will be one. Have a nice day."

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Whether one believes the bible or not. All the scriptures quoted as being PRO shunning are irrelevant.

So, where is the scripture that states you should shun family because 3 men in a back room that work for watchtower corporation say so?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit