An update on shunning (at the store).

by quellycatface 24 Replies latest jw friends

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Just a quick update on the events at my local supermarket.

I was called into a meeting by one of the department managers last week. I had a meeting this morning.

Anyway, to cut a long story short. The people involved in this will be called into a private meeting and spoken to. Basically, saying that ALL customers should be treated with respect and staff to remain professional at all times etc.....No exceptions.

I said this was a positive step. BUT I did mention that these people may feel they have to resign their positions over this. The manager in question replied "that's tough but I don't want people like that working in my store." What a breakthrough!!!

The manager in question has a friend who married a JW and he found the "cult" pretty restrictive and strange, at best.

I said it made me feel as if I was making a stand for those ones who have been so badly affected by "shunning", they have taken their own lives. Not to mention being ostracised from their families, children and friends.

I wonder if this will now be brought up as a "local needs" item? No doubt making the R&F feel like matryrs.

No regrets.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Well it looks like its a question of a choice:-

Staff to remain proffessional at sll times no exceptions..

or

Witnessses to remain professional at all times no exceptions.

Of course a witness who shuns will be made to feel a unselfish dedicated martyr if they loose their job, having furfilled there loyalty to the " organisation".

Personally i can find no redeeming qualities in a shunner. As far as i am concerned it is a personal decision partisipated by people who are capable of shunning. However its nice when " worldly people" support those being shunned by this overwhelmigly hostile force which i call " self centerd holiness"

Your boss for what it is worth is an infinitely more desirable and better person than a shunner, in my opinion.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Very interesting, and good for the supermarket. Is it a big UK chain all over the country, or is it a small local shop?

Kate xx

• Fernando
    Fernando

Them shunners dread being shunned, so either way I guess they'll have to deal with some serious Cognitive Dissonance...

Just may be the wake up call they've been needing.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Kate. A big supermarket chain.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Well we've got big supermarket wars here in the UK. The likes of Tesco, Asda, Morrisons and Sainsburys are all doing their bit to keep customers, and it's unusual that a JW would work in one of these as they would be expected to work on meeting nights and Sundays.

I suspect this JW is a right pain in the neck if she won't do her fair share and insists on working shifts where there are the least amount of customers. The boss is just waiting for an excuse.

Kate xx

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

When I was an active JW all my customers were treated with full respect and friendliness, almost especially DF'd ones, as I felt for them in their position.

An Elder who worked for me said it was not right what I was doing, I told hime where to go if he didn't like it, i.e down the road, he mumbled something about "I suppose its alright for you as the owner of the business".

He used to try to shun DF'd ones who came in to the Company as customers, but I am pretty sure they didn't notice, he was an insignificant little worm.

Well done again Quelly ! you managed as well to get in an anti-witness, always satisfying !

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Quelly, this may be the start of a larger Courtesy (non-shunning) Program for that chain...kudos to you and your friends for standing up for what is right!

Just think...a newspaper picks up the story and it becomes an investigatory matter...stranger things have happened.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

In my local area it has always been the understanding among JW's that if you are in a business situation with a DFd person you could speak to them ,but just keep it about work . If you worked for a person that became DFd you did not need to quit your job over it ,the same advice applied just keep conversation business related .

I work in a couple of different jobs .One is a small gift shop. I have observed JWs looking in the window to see if I am working ,and walk on by if I am there.(or totally walk in the door and reverse right back out when they see me ) Then I have others that come in and act almost normal with me ,except them don't make common chit chat . The other place of employment had another Witness employee .During my fade she would notably shun me until other workers started noticing ,and asking her why she acted like that ...then she would at least acknowledge me .She finally quit working there ,and moved on to something else .

It will be interesting to see what happens at your job whether the witness will comply or quit .

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Good work! The more people know about the true character of this cult the better. Who cares if there's a local needs part and the jw workers quit and are viewed as martyrs. Their loss. The important thing is you've struck a blow for basic human decency.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit