An Unsettling Experience

by snowbird 30 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

In the year 2011, I was very ill with severe anxiety and panic attacks.

My psychiatrist prescribed two potent anti-depressants.

One day, when I was all alone, I heard a distinct voice say, "There are knives in the kitchen - small, medium, and large ..."

The voice trailed off, but the meaning was clear: Use one of those knives on yourself!

My niece in Atlanta reported a similar experience when she was prescribed the same anti-depressants following a stillborn delivery.

I'm curious.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks, and have often experienced auditory or visual inconsistencies during the build up.......but nothing like you are describing where I hear a voice when I am alone..........perhaps a combination of the medication and being very anxious contributed to this?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Those are powerful drugs. A young man brutally ( severely brutal) killed his parents ( near me) after beginning a new antidepressant. He was seeing a therapist as well. Also a teen I knew since he was born killed himself after beginning a new antidepressant. He was living at home and his parents locked their bedroom door at night. He was also seeing a therapist.

Those drugs are nothing to mess around with, and any suspicion of something strange needs to be reported to a dr asap and the drug stopped.

The first young man I mentioned said a voice was telling him to do this.

• snowbird
    snowbird

@Pam's Girl.

Perhaps, but it was very scary.

• snowbird
    snowbird

NJWS, how right you are!

I've since discontinued them and am making slow but steady progress.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Oh my goodness. Bury, burn, cut up in little pieces and flush, zap in the microwave. Do not take antedepressants. They will make you kill yourself of someone else. Knives in the drawer. Oh my.

• snowbird
    snowbird

ROFL @ Jeannette.

Now I see why my family doctor would not prescribe them.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Snowbird, this was in 2011? And you are better? Thank goodness. No pills, please. Alcohol, yes, in moderation, yes. Whiskey on orange juice with spring water, good. Walk, walk, walk. Read labels. No aspartame, high fructose corn syrup, MSG , the list goes on and on. Sugar only, in moderation of course. Lots and lots of sleep. We are in Satan's system and I believe that. Love.

• snowbird
    snowbird

@Jeannette

I'm much better.

Eating lots of protein and whole grain, drinking water, water, water ...

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Snowbird, while I agree they are not to be taken lightly, but sometimes they really do help. It's a balance, just like everything in life. Doing as much as you can for yourself like you are now is crucial, but sometimes a person does need some time under medication to get them to the point of helping themselves. But yes, ANY sign of unsettling things especially one like you had is a huge sign to get OFF that medication asap.

My husband is experiencing the gambut of depression medication right now. It is so difficult to figure out what is him and what is the medication causing his unproductive actions. I doubt ANY of them work because he refuses to help himself in other ways. I think his is a matter of not choosing to help himself sometimes.

So frustrating.

Snowbird I'm glad you are slowly getting better! Sounds you are the exact right track. There is no magic pill, just time and working step by step just like you are. The pills can be a helper, or a bridge, but they are not magically going to relieve a person of doing the real work themselves. They can also cause horrific things to happen, which is why they can be do dangerous when not followed CLOSELY.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit