How to find joy in the ministry, according to one elder

by ohnightdivine 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

He said that having a goal is the most important, since we do not want to waste our time and become depressed when going out in the ministry.

And what else could be better than setting a goal to, say, distribute xx number of magazines during that day?!

In this way we could feel contented and joyful in service.

That's what he said. How profound! I am so grateful for this timely reminder from the publishing corporation! ;)

• designs
    designs

When I pioneered, late 1960s to early 1970s, the requirements were 100 hours per month, 100 mags, 10 Bible Studies, I forget the number of RVs.

• zebagain
    zebagain

So you 'place' magazines with anyone even if you just know they will bin them just for the sake of numbers.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The true meaning of life explained!!! Thank you O Glorious One and font of all wisdom!

Without guys like you & the G.B. instructing us, us riff-raff wouldn't have a clue about anything!

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

During the talk I was so upset I couldn't hide my disgust and kept on sighing. That elder especially talks and sounds intelligent but this time again,

"encouraging" people, mostly adults with that meaningless talk is beyond my comprehension.

"Distribute more magazines, and be happy!!! If you're not happy with that, something is wrong with you." Something like this, right?

• designs
    designs

To meet the 100 mags requirement we would put stacks of mags in Laundromats and Rest Homes, also we would go to the harbor where the freighter ships came in. On those ships we could easily place 300-400 mags..

• stillin
    stillin

Ah, but you never know where that tract or magazine may resurface after the original person throws it into the trash! I remember a true story about a bum walking along the railroad tracks, down and out, when there, there on the ground was a Watchtower with the feature article entitled "Is God Dead?" Why, that was exactly what he had been wondering that very moment! He sat down and read the whole magazine cover to cover and when he looked up, there were people getting out of their cars and going into a building. Clean people, happy people. He walked over there and was warmly invited to come into the Kingdom Hall and listen to the public talk. No collection would be passed. The title of the talk was "Is your life really worth living?"

That man is an elder and a pioneer today

(clap)

so, you see, you can just throw your magazines in the trash. The angels will know what to do from there.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

" When I pioneered, late 1960s to early 1970s, the requirements were 100 hours per month, 100 mags, 10 Bible Studies, I forget the number of RVs."

Ditto, it was a real grind; that last month of the service year, August, trying to make up for taking some time off, ugh

• galaxie
    galaxie

Stillin ;... You just exposed my story !!! Was I conned ?!!! Lol

• Ding
    Ding

Goals that can be measured on a clipboard or record card... a very good motivational approach for the WT's never-ending, legalistic works treadmill.

Since things like love, mercy, and compassion can't be measured this way, they aren't as important, right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit