What are the consequences if a JW files for an unscriptural divorce?

by Daniel1555 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

In January my wife separated from me, because she views me as an apostate (to make the story short).

At that time the elders explained to us, that the bible doesn't approve of such a separation.

I heard from my mother in law, that my wife finally wants to divorce. (When I think of how my wife treated me the last year I actually want a divorce too).

Now my question to you:

Are there any "theocratic" consequences for the one partner who files for an unscriptural divorce? If yes, what are those consequences / restrictions?

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

For divorcing you for apostacy? No ... she will probabaly be celebrated as a "fine example" of somebody leaving you to protect herself from "spiritual abuse". She will not be able to marry until you do the dirty with someone first, but other than that, I think they will celebrate her as a martyr.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Not if it's based on apostasy and depending on her elder body she can remarry with little to no consequence.

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

Just a little more info.

In her eyes it is because of apostasy. I am officially not df. In the elders eyes I am a brother who has big doubts.

• happy@last
    happy@last

I'm a bit rusty, but I would reckon the only thing would be her being counselled and that's it. She cannot remarry until you have been 'scripturally' unfaithful!

• dozy
    dozy

Applying for an unscriptural divorce in itself isn't an issue , though it will mean that for a time she isn't "exemplary" ( so she wouldn't be allowed to auxiliary pioneer , for example ). I don't know what your circumstances are , but if you don't attend the meetings then your wife will get a lot of sympathy from the elders and other JWs.

She isn't free to re-marry ( unless you embark on a new relationship ). If she is seen dating , then she could get marked. If she has sex with another guy, she will be disfellowshipped ( unless she is repentant ). Ditto if she marries someone else.

Usually what happens is that the man finds someone else , the sister makes it known that her ex-husband has a new girlfriend & she is then pretty much free to re-marry. The downside is that the options in terms of marriagable men for a single sister in the "truth" are pretty limited.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

She isn't free to re-marry ( unless you embark on a new relationship ). If she is seen dating , then she could get marked. If she has sex with another guy, she will be disfellowshipped ( unless she is repentant ). Ditto if she marries someone else.

Doze is correct.

Actually, if you are still in "good standing" the elders should be encouraging you to reconcile. "Jehovah hates a divorcing." Malachi something:something

Doc

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

Thanks for your answers.

Dozy: She moved to another congregation 500 km away. I was just wondering if they would give her some restrictions like not allowed to answer at meetings or as you said no aux. pioneering.

• Poztate
    Poztate

though it will mean that for a time she isn't "exemplary" ( so she wouldn't be allowed to auxiliary pioneer , for example ).

You can still clean the bathrooms at the KH. They never seem to take that privilege away from the sisters

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Shopaholic - WRONG Though Apostacy is a "scriptural" reason for separation it is not one for divorce.

Dozy - RIGHT Nailed it.

When I was an elder we had a sister move into the congregation who was separated from her witness husband. The local elders knew her for years and they appointed her a regular pioneer. The CO rubber stamped it. Then a few months later the elders in her old congregation called upset that she was pioneering. Oddly enough they had appointed him a MS after she left. She was going to divorce him. The CO was confused why all this was happening and said, "Aw just leave it alone. Encourage them to talk but dont remove either of them." Meanwhile someone else would get hammered. Such BS.

I have a relative that was unscripturally divorced and not living with his ex (obviously) for 5 years. When he married someone else, they DF'd him. 23 years ago now. Not bad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit