800 Infant Bodies Found in a Septic Tank at Roman Catholic Children's Home

by cofty 43 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

VG's comments on Irish (ie. Eire) sympathies toward Germany in WW2 are essentially true, but should be balanced by a knowledge of British refusal to grant independence to Ireland (or, at least the southern section, and the atrocities committed by British troops in Ireland.

Here's a entry from Wikipedia that gives a glimpse of incidents that stirred up hatred against the British:

Irish War of Independence

On 9 August 1920, the British Parliament passed the Restoration of Order in Ireland Act during the Anglo-Irish War. It replaced the trial by jury by courts-martial by regulation for those areas in Ireland where IRA activity was prevalent. [14] To combat the Irish Republican Army, Winston Churchill, then UK Secretary of State for War, suggested recruiting World War I veterans to boost the strength of the Royal Irish Constabulary . Lloyd George agreed and advertisements were placed in newspapers. The recruits were formed into groups of temporary constables who became known as the Black and Tans, so called because of their mixture of British Army and police uniforms. Veterans who had held officers rank were formed into the Auxiliary Division, who were better paid and received better supplies.

Kevin Barry, an 18-year-old medical student and Irish Republican Army paramilitary, was captured following a gun battle between IRA paramilitaries and British soldiers, in which three British soldiers were killed. [15] Following his capture, Barry was interrogated and allegedly subjected to violence and threats of murder by British soldiers. [15] The British Government denied POW status to IRA paramilitaries and Barry was reportedly interrogated under torture by British servicemen without access to a solicitor or civilian constable. He refused to name the others present at the ambush, and was subsequently charged and convicted of first degree murder by a military tribunal on 28 October 1919, and executed by hanging on 1 November 1919. [16] John Ainsworth, author of Kevin Barry, the Incident at Monk's bakery and the Making of an Irish Republican Legend, has pointed out that Barry had been captured by the British not as a uniformed soldier but disguised as a civilian and in possession of flat-nosed "Dum-dum" bullets, in contravention of the Hague Convention of 1899. [17]

Bloody Sunday began when Michael Collins' assassin squad, known as "The Twelve Apostles", assassinated 13 British intelligence agents, including most of the "Cairo Gang". That same afternoon, British security forces opened fire on a crowd attending a Gaelic football match in Croke Park, killing 14 civilians.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_war_crimes

In any event the politics of the Irish problem have little to do with Church atrocities toward children.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

fulltimestudent, thank you for those balancing comments.

• glenster
    glenster

General history of adoption
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

I am sure atheism would have cured the problem.

Would you have fed the babies to dingos?

• cofty
    cofty

Zed - Athesim isn't a "thing" - it's a lack of belief in god, and it has nothing to do with this thread.

If you want to observe a compassionate secular society consider Scandanavia, and contrast that to any country where religion has a strong influence.

The abuse of children by priests and nuns in Ireland was epidemic.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As the Article showed, this wicked abuse, and I suspect actual murder, of these poor children was fuelled by the evil religious Doctrine of the R.C Church

that these children deserved to be punished.

Non-belief fuels no actions.

• glenster
    glenster

Oh, brother.

To be balanced, neither the basic definitions of God nor atheism carry character
    determinants. Either may add a good or bad stipulation to their outlook from a
    religious stance, society generally, or be 'centric and intolerant. There have
    been problems with either made law of the land, which is institutionalized 'cen-
    tric intolerance. Modern US social rules about adoption are pretty modern (see
    the Wikipedia article above).

"The American model of adoption eventually proliferated globally. England and
    Wales established their first formal adoption law in 1926. The Netherlands passed
    its law in 1956. Sweden made adoptees full members of the family in 1959. West
    Germany enacted its first laws in 1977. Additionally, the Asian powers opened
    their orphanage systems to adoption, influenced as they were by Western ideas
    following colonial rule and military occupation."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption#Modern_period

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

So sad. So sad.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

I wonder, but I don't want to know, how many were sacrificed in a ritual murder. That shit still goes on in this day out there on a grand scale.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

This should be another thread, i guess, but I can't supply links as this is what i heard out in service, in the car group. A brother said his grandmother, here in Tennessee, had an Irishman slave and she would tie him to the buggy when she went anywhere. He had to walk. And I had read lately that Irish boys came over to the U.S. and were made to join the army. This was during the Civil War with Abraham Lincoln. Some were made to join the North, and were promised they wouldn't be fighting against other Irish boys in the South, however, one night when they were sitting around the camp, he heard a violin playing an Irish tune from the other camp. He knew he was lied to. Point is, the Irish had it rough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit