Daniel chapter 9

by Doug Mason 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Apognophos,

Have a look at my understanding of the subjects you raise:

http://www.jwstudies.com/Critique_of_GM_on_Daniel_9.pdf

Go to its Contents listing, where each item is hyperlinked to its text. For example, you will see where to find my thoughts on "Decree/Command".

My other related Study is at:

http://www.jwstudies.com/Is_Awake_accurate_about_Messiah_s_anointing.pdf

Do your own research, come to your own conclusions; I hope that my thoughts provide triggers for your own.

I believe that to rely on apocalyptic writings as the basis for one's life is to depend on a very suspect foundation.

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Oubliette,

And it is no different today, regardless of the religion or creed. For many, religion provides them with the crutch they have to have in order to cope with life, to give them an explanation for the chaos that reigns.

Humans always seek patterns, they always want answers for every question. When these cannot be resolved, rather than accept chaos and randomness, they provide explanations through referencing external supernatural entities. And I am not limiting this to Judaism/Christianity.

Doug

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Remember that "Anointing" referred to the smearing of oil on the High Priest. The Hebrew word is Mesach (Messiah) the Greek is Christ . So the priest was the Anointed One (namely, the "Messiah" or the "Christ"). - Many will come in my name (authority) and say I am the Christ (the Anointed - think of the WTS's GB).

Good that you explain this. And It was referring to only one Messiah. Only Jesus the Son of Man fulfilled these scripture.

Your right everyone one has a choice and I choose Jesus Christ. I choose Christanity as a faithful believer than a lost believer: somone who reads too many historical Christain books and believes them to be factual.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" And It was referring to only one Messiah."

Two Messiahs are clearly referred to in Daniel.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Who has heard of the anointing of kings? See Judges 9:8 (tree king); 1 Sam. 9:16; 1 Sam. 15:1 (Saul); 1 Sam 16:3, 12 (David); 1 Kings 1:34 (Solomon); 1 Kings 19:15 (Hazael of Syria); 1 Kings 19:16 (Jehu); etc.

Now read the book of Daniel. Daniel had a world view in connection with his people and the "beautiful land," Israel. The context of the visions is: Kingship (see Dan. 7 & 8, 11): Messianic kingdom, Dan. 2:44, 45; Someone like a son of man to receive kingship in heaven, Dan. 7:13, 14; Michael to stand up (as king), Dan. 12:1. See how Dan 9 with its “anointed one” fits within such a context.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Wow, thanks Doug Mason, your PDF looks like it addresses a lot of my questions. I'll give it a read when I get the time soon.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I am in the midst of your PDF, Doug. I am intrigued by your suggestion that "the word" that went forth in 9:25 is not the word of Cyrus or any other king, but could very well be the same "word" that God issued in 9:23. Are you aware that the old NWT said:

23 At the start of your entreaties a word went forth, and I myself have come to make report...

but the revised NWT says:

23 When you began your entreaty the word went out, and I have come to report it to you...

The new rendering actually makes it sound more like the "word" in verse 25 is this very same "word" that Gabriel has been sent to report, placing the start of the weeks/sevens at the time of Daniel's prayer. When I would read the old NWT, verse 23 never came across to me that way. I thought that "the word" was simply a command for Gabriel to go and tell Daniel about the weeks of years.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I am having trouble accepting the suggestion that Jesus did not consider himself the Christ/Messiah. I have a number of responses to/questions on this section of your PDF, but I'm not really sure this is the appropriate thread to talk about that subject. Do you have a "Critique of gm book" thread that you want to discuss this on?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit