Why the big fuss?

by Marilyn 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Leander's final day at the Tower, has made me wonder, about why the big fuss when people leave? We try to tip toe out, shutting the door quietly as we go, but inevitably the game of cat and mouse begins. Why? What is behind the big fuss? What is REALLY behind it? Surely if they are happy and secure in their beliefs - they would just feel sad that one of their friends has dropped out of the queue for everlasting life. Was it Shakespear who wrote: I think thou doet protest too much? Why do they protest SO much?

Marilyn

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Make that doest? I am really not very good at this. I think I'll stick to reading.....

• Gopher
    Gopher

Marilyn,

I think it's because the WT Society and JW's are all about CONTROL over your life and the ability to inflict guilt. If they lose a member, that person has gained his/her freedom, and will bear favorable witness to others about how good life is outside the control of the WT organization.

So the organization must inflict further guilt and damage, to scare people away from even thinking about leaving their loving spiritual brotherhood!!

P.S. : I think it was regards Lady MacBeth, it was said (when she was falsely protesting her innocence): "The lady doth protest too much".

-J.R.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.--Will Rogers, 1879-1935

• gumby
    gumby

Gopher:I think it's because the WT Society and JW's are all about CONTROL over your life and the ability to inflict guilt

I think some of the old farts at bethel may feel this but....I don't think this is the way the average judicial committee feels.

Why do THEY not make it easy to leave? Because they follow what has been taught them. They use the scripture in John that says "they went OUT from us because they are not of our sort"

They also use the one..."if anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching that we have declared to you as truth" do not have a sharing with him.

They want to make sure you have the proper title when you exit.

I always wondered this: 1st cor. 5:11 " If anyone CALLS HIMSELF A BROTHER", and is a fornicator , a drunkard,blah, blah...never say a greeting to him"

What if you do not WANT to be called a brother anymore and you tell them that? The scripture penalizes only the one who CALLS himself a brother..(a Jehovah's witness.)

I haven't called myself a dub for 7 years yet they STILL apply shunning to me.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

It's an abusive rerlationship, and like so many abusers,

they can use, abuse, shame, humiliate, and finally throw you away---

But don't you dare WALK AWAY untill I say so!!!

BEFORE YOU TRY AND REMOVE THE STICK FROM MY ARSE, REMOVE THE TELEPHONE POLE FROM YOUR OWN ARSE.

• barry
    barry

Marilyn,
    After haveing studied with the witnesses im still dont understand why one cant just leave, all other churches, clubs or organisations can be left with no problems.
    Barry

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

I always wondered this: 1st cor. 5:11 " If anyone CALLS HIMSELF A BROTHER", and is a fornicator , a
    drunkard,blah, blah...never say a greeting to him"

Yes it doesn't seem to quite fit the bill. Unless... what does the blah, blah, blah bit say? because many who have left quietly are not fornicator or drunkards - they are just average people with average lives who don't want to be called a brother.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

The big fuss generally is over those who were the so-called "good Witnesses" who were regular meeting attenders, regular publishers or those holding some sort of "position" in the organization. When these ones suddenly become inactive or start missing meetings or just disappear, the break in their routine is noticed and the concern for them is often genuine.

If they understand that their abscence is due to "doubts" they often genuinely try to help the individual with standard lines of reasoning. Doubts typical of "apostates" are easily spotted and this changes things. When these fail or the individual refuses these offers of "help" and they can see you no longer wish to be involved, the "genuine concern" quickly turns to anger and paranoia and they begin seeking to find ways of disfellowshipping you and they gossip in the congregation by "warning" individuals against association with you, tying your name with "apostasy".

I think many Witnesses hate to see people "get away" with something. They have a very vengeful sense of justice. Plus, most don't exactly love meetings and service and when you skip out on these things and are actually enjoying life, I think they are a little envious and angry that you are presently going "unpunished". They can't stand those who still identify themselves as Witnesses but don't attend meetings or report service time. They want you "in" or "out" and not somewhere in between and that makes them very uncomfortable because that is where the most dangerous 'apostates' are.

Path

• Xena
    Xena

uuummmm cause they are a CULT maybe?????

• outnfree
    outnfree

CONTROL, yes!

If they lose a member, that person has gained his/her freedom, and will bear favorable witness to others about how good life is outside the control of the WT organization.

As a Witness you have it inculcated into you that the world outside the organization is so awful, so heathen, so wicked!

Yet, I had three inactive friends telling me that they were much happier AWAY from the organization. This "did not compute." I kept asking them, "Really?" and didn't know how to argue with them about this! Happiness is subjective, right? How can you tell someone they're "not really happy?" You can't. I couldn't argue. I was supposed to want happiness for my friends, right? And I did.

So yes, people who become inactive and prove to live happy lives without the 'tower, are definitely a threat to the 'tower's CONTROL over its membership. If they were lying about the 'big, bad world' out there, what else might they be lying about?

outnfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit