For those who feel that their life has been stolen

by stillin 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

You maintained a level of personal decency and integrity that you almost certainly would not have had if you had chosen another direction.

This comment really bothers me. I don't understand why witnesses assume they have the corner on human decency and morality. This makes it sounds like the JWs were keeping our unfettered barbarian ways in check just enough to be decent people.

My experience since being out of the organization is that most people "in the world" are quite decent human beings, quite naturally so. I don't mean to suggest there was nothing good out being raised a Witness; just not much.

One thing I have noticed about growing up a JW is that they are absolutely not racist in any way. Or at least, that was my experience. After leaving, I was quite surprised to find out how racist some of the world still is.

• Violia
    Violia

One thing I have noticed about growing up a JW is that they are absolutely not racist in any way. Or at least, that was my experience. After leaving, I was quite surprised to find out how racist some of the world still is.

I guess it might have depended on where you lived and also i found the racism to be subtle, just like the classism.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STILLIN:

I feel badly for anybody born into this religion and spent their whole life there. They must certainly feel their life was stolen.

I came in as a young adult and thankfully had a normal childhood - so I can't say they stole my whole life. However, I spent 20+ years in the JW religion and this is time I will never get back. But, at least I didn't quit my decent job to appease these jealous, small-minded people. I would have regretted that...I was told by a wise person to look at my experience in the religion as if I had been in a bad marriage.

WILD THING:

I also think it is offensive that JWs imagine only THEY have any sense of morality. The JWs are motivated by fear to keep up appearances and they will do ANYTHING to maintain a facade so as not to lose friends, family, business contacts, etc.

This doesn't make them more "moral", just more controlled and more paranoid. Who the hell needs it?

• stillin
    stillin

Long hair gal, I also find it offensive that some witnesses feel that they are the only decent people in the wold, or that their motive for being so is more pure than anybody else's. I never said that, though, I only pointed out that it worked for me. There are lots of roads that lead to the right conclusions.

what irks me is when th witnesses express that true agape love is only to be found in their spiritual paradise. It is very common, actually, if they would take their blinders off.

• Violia
    Violia

I have noticed that when you get a card or letter and it says agape-- they really mean:

we judge you to not be worthy but we can't prove it and so we are keeping our bases covered. We really don't Christ blood covers yours sins( and we are sure there must be some, we just know what they are).

So, Agape. Might as well say FU for all it really means. anyone who reallly cares about you says, Love.

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

Interesting thread OP. I thank Blondie for her courage to tell us about, no doubt, painful things in her past. I thank Magnum for your honesty and how you wrote from the heart, anybody reading your post could really feel with you. I appreciate Stillin's humblenes and kind words, after reading about other viewpoints. We can all learn from each other.

I lost a lot too - like many of you (born in, pioneered all my Life, spent 10 years at Bethel, no savings, donated even thousands of Euros to the Org, and finally lost my family to them, including my small Baby girl that is with her mother, living far away from me).

Now, to answer OP's question. It is a difficult one and easy at the same time. I used to feel angry and hateful (if you read my first posts here). Now, looking back I come to the conclusion that I refuse to give them my present Life and my future Life. It's got to stop. They already had enough. I refuse to spend one more minute in misery or thinking that I could have become this or that.

(Matter of truth is: we don't know. I don't think that I would have become a drug, alcohol addict or some criminal without the WT, but I also don't know if I had become a Doctor or Scientist or whatever). Life dealt us a card (either by choice or unvolutarily) and we played our game and are no in a different game. It really doesn't matter. Why? Sometimes I imagine, what if I had been born without arms or legs? What if we where born in a poor, war stricken country? I know, this is no excuse or way of "feeling better", but IF's will not bring any happiness.

It is as it is and now we have to cherish the MOMENT, the NOW we are living in. We only live in the present. Nothing in the past matters or in the future.

This is helping me, it might not make sense to you. But as some of you have said, I became a better person after leaving. After leaving the cult I started donating money and time for different charities that I care about and it makes me happy (something that the WT condemns).

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Violia:

I also feel as you do about the word "Agape" as used by JWs. You are right that they might as well say F.U.... The judgmental idiots can shove their agape.

I feel it has all the warmth of somebody sliding food through the opening in the door to the lion's cage.

I also could never stand JWs who sent cards that either said that or had scriptures quoted or smiley faces. What stupidity. Did they imagine that if they asked for something and put a scripture or smiley face on a note that I was going to do what they wanted if I didn't agree??

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Our lives were commandeered, our choices affected to the point that many of us stand in ruins, trying to put our lives back together and on a better course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit