Am I a judgmental bastard or just one of the last sane persons on this planet?

by skeeter1 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

So, I happened to see a young lady. She's about 13 or 14, can't be more than 16 years old. Fresh faced, rosy cheeks, and a little pudgy. Looks like she would still eat kiddie cereals and like to go to Toys R Us. But, wait, she has a bull ring, tattoos of demons, and tongue/cheek piercings. It looked so out of place on her. I mean, if you're going to have a bull ring in your nostrils, then you better look like a muscle bound, testosterone bar bouncer who can kick arse, a heroin addict, or a Hells Angels rider. You can't look like you've never had a cup of straight black coffee. I would have loved to have seen this chicks parents. I mean, why is it that these little ladies want to look like hardened criminals. I don't get why they think looking like they come from the ghetto is all that great. I grew up in the ghetto and did everything I could to lie about where I actually lived and to get out of it. I wasn't trying to look, act, or talk like a gang leader! Maury Povich is not supposed to be a role model show.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

It's truly sad to see so many young ones lost today, and losing respect for themselves.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I agree it is sad. I didn't think <18 could get a tat?

• sir82
    sir82

why is it that these little ladies want to look like hardened criminals. I don't get why they think looking like they come from the ghetto is all that great.

Simply put, they want exactly the reaction you write about here.

Kids have been trying to assert their independence / rebelliousness for the past 100,000 years or so.

Today it's nose rings and tattoos. 50 years ago it was cigarettes & miniskirts, or long hair for the guys. 1000 years ago it was running away from the family farm and joining a crusade.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

"Asserting their independence" - yeah, there is also such a thing as cutting off ones nose just to spite the face, though!

Bill.

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

Don't you remember the Nazirites of the Bible who grow long hair? Or how Ezekiel Would roll in dung? Or how Job tore apart his clothes? Or the Holy Fools of Holy Orthodoxy? God likes deviant if it proves a point. The best clique a daughter could belong to in some communities is a straight-edge punk rocker (no drugs, no fornication, no meat, no alcohol to interfere with doing it yourself and thinking for yourself) who dress ridiculously to make a statement. I feel sorry for people who have been raised to equate peculiarity with wickedness. You have to look at the soul that chose those clothes and why are those clothes not ridiculous to that person. Personally I love the diversity of my great nation, from Cowboys to Homeboys to Punk Rockers to Hippies. Its a shame that Watchtowerdumb blinds souls to such radiance.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

I'm thinking this speaks more about your age than it does hers.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Skeeter, I'm not sure- maybe a little of both. I get what you are saying about growing up a certain way and not thinking it is anything glamourous. As an example, my father grew up on a cattle ranch where he was required (as the eldest son) to be a REAL cowboy. He hated it. He said driving cattle was the lonelist, dirtiest job on the planet. When he left home he NEVER put on a pair of cowboy boots or hat etc. again. His best friend (a JW) always wore cowboy boots to the meetings (and everywhere else) as well as the hat, shirt etc. My father said it was obvious Jimmy had never worked a real ranch. The young lady you are referring to may have trouble fitting in with kids at school and may be using the piercings to try to seem cool or rebellious. Remember how hard it was to navigate your teens? If I were her mom I would try to see what is troubling her or if it is just harmless self- expression.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

oh the times they are a changin.

It's the end of culture as we know it. Is it good or bad? I prefer not to care.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

body piercings and tattoos are a permanent reminder of a very brief time in our lives when they are the proof that we are 'independent thinkers' and not bound to what mommy/daddy wants. The cowboy can take off the boots,the hat and put on a tshirt and he is a blank slate. Once you mutiate yourself,it's hard to go back from it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit