How Important Is Progress?

by metatron 2 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

I realize that people from many cultures come to this site,though mostly English speaking. I watched a BBC report about a 3rd country and wondered:

How important is a sense of progress in your culture - and in the "truth"?

Progress is a fairly recent concept if you consider how many centuries have passed while people lived in traditional cultures. You get born, suffer thru life, have kids and die while traditional religion dominates. That's just the way it is (or was)

Fast forward to the present and expectations change. Why isn't the economy growing? Unemployment? Injustice? Where's that cure for cancer? We can go to the moon but we can't (fill in the blank).

As American movies have been sometimes derided for usually 'having a happy ending' (by Europeans) I think this emphasis on 'progress' (however real) is mostly a part of US cultural influence.

Anyway, it seems to me that entire governments - or religions (that got started in the US) could fall if their constituents don't feel that 'progress' is happening.

The Organization better keep hauling in the broke and sick as publishers. Other signs of 'progress' might be hard to find.

metatron

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

progress is anything defined as the Borg as kissing the CO A$$, or local elder, any mind numbing task with large amounts of time consumed with next to zero reward

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

The Americans are on to them, so they are emphasizing their "worldwide" efforts. The people in foreign lands have no idea, but we've been subjected to these people knocking on our doors for how many years??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit