If you reject the existence of the soul then you are an Animist?

by Seraphim23 149 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Doesn't sound like an argument or an explanation!

... and your own explanation or hypothesis of consciousness outside the brain is ?

Perhaps if you studied more on neurology rather than ancient mythology .

Carry on with your beliefs nevertheless but please don't come here and say I have proof of consciousness outside

of the brain. why ? ... because you simply don't have any.

Here's a start ....

Your brain is made up of billions of brain cells called neurons, which use electricity to communicate with each other. The combination of millions of neurons sending signals at once produces an enormous amount of electrical activity in the brain, which can be detected using sensitive medical equipment (such as an EEG), measuring electricity levels over areas of the scalp.

The combination of electrical activity of the brain is commonly called a brainwave pattern, because of its cyclic, "wave-like" nature.

Below is one of the first recordings of brain activity. 1

Here is a more modern EEG recording:

Brainwave Frequencies

With the discovery of brainwaves came the discovery that electrical activity in the brain will change depending on what the person is doing. For instance, the brainwaves of a sleeping person are vastly different than the brainwaves of someone wide awake. Over the years, more sensitive equipment has brought us closer to figuring out exactly what brainwaves represent and with that, what they mean about a person's health and state of mind.

Here is a table showing the known brainwave types and their associated mental states:

Wave Frequency Associated Mental State
    Gamma 27 Hz and up

Gamma is associated with the formation of ideas, language and memory processing, and various types of learning. Gamma waves have been shown to disappear during deep sleep induced by anesthesia, but return with the transition back to a wakeful state.

Beta 12hz - 27hz

Wide awake. This is generally the mental state most people are in during the day and most of their waking lives. Usually, this state in itself is uneventful, but don't underestimate its importance. Many people lack sufficient beta activity, which can cause mental or emotional disorders such as depression and ADD. and insomnia. And low SMR production (a sub-range of beta at 12-15hz) may be related to insomnia. Stimulating beta activity can improve emotional stability, energy levels, attentiveness and concentration.

Alpha 8hz - 12hz

Awake but relaxed and not processing much information. When you get up in the morning and just before sleep, you are naturally in this state. When you close your eyes your brain automatically starts producing more alpha waves.

Many studies monitoring the EEG activity of experienced meditators have revealed strong increases in alpha activity. Alpha activity has also been connected to the ability to recall memories, lessened discomfort and pain, and reductions in stress and anxiety.

Theta 3hz - 8hz

Light sleep or extreme relaxation.

Theta is also a very receptive mental state that has proven useful for hypnotherapy, as well as self-hypnosis using recorded affirmations and suggestions.

Delta 0.2hz - 3hz Deep, dreamless sleep. Delta is the slowest band of brainwaves. When your dominant brainwave is delta, your body is healing itself and "resetting" its internal clocks. You do not dream in this state and are completely unconscious.
  • Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

As usual you are mischaracterising what I am saying.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

The title of this thread should have been:

If you accept the existence of the soul then you are an utter fool.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Seraphim this mechanism is very well understood. There are papers and research on the release of 5HT and cortisol and the effect thereof. It is reprodiycable in a lab!

But to give you credit and assume you did not know that, gaian how are you assigning a soul to someone experiencing odd things following trauma?

Drugs can evoke new experiences, not within the memory banks, again such as 5HT receptors with DMT.

Where on earth does your biblical soul fit in?

You appear to br grasping at straws and putting forward all the things you consider a mystery about the human mind as reasons for a soul. The problem is they are not a mystery for anyone who has pixked up a book on it.

I mean no offence, again, I am just being practical and honest.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

S&R

you consider a mystery about the human mind as reasons for a soul

Just because the ancients didn't know the working of the brain/mind

doesn't mean we don't know whats happening today.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Your all so wise!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

No seraphim you are wrong, we asked the exact same questions as you, but we didn't stop at asking, we looked at the answers...

You are asking all the right questions but I wonder if motive is holding you back?

Do you want to know the answers or do you want to find reason to believe in a soul?

Have a good evening xxx

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Thanks you, ill continue to look at all areas of knowledge as I always have done with an open mind.

• cofty
    cofty

Seraphim - I think you do have an open mind but it's also unfettered by facts.

I really think you would benefit from doing some intellectual hard work. Learn some basics about the myraid things that science is sure about. With a good foundation in reality you will be able to ask more reasonable questions about things we wish we knew.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Thanks , I think!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit