Coping with becoming an atheist?

by Crazyguy 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

So what you’re telling me Viviane is that a conclusion here is not truth but a tool! That’s fine with me as long as a conclusion isn’t turned into truth, because an even better theory may come along in the future which is even more accurate. Of course that won’t be `the truth` either but just a better refined tool which itself will become out-dated. Theists have tools as well but for different jobs.

• xchange
    xchange

In becoming an atheist, I found that I had to cope with certain people closest to me and their disdain for my new found unbelief. I had to put up with a multiple of strawmen arguments concerning atheism - the very thing we see here on JWN by some posters.

For me, it was a stunning breath of fresh air in becoming an atheist. It game me a fantastic perspective on this life. Bottom line is, I didn't have to cope with being liberated from ridiculous archaic writings that are promulgated today, despite the fact we live in an age of modernity and human advancements. I mean, when was the last time you saw a Fred Flinstone 'foot' car on the streets.

• Viviane
    Viviane

So what you’re telling me Viviane is that a conclusion here is not truth but a tool

That's not at all what I wrote.

That’s fine with me as long as a conclusion isn’t turned into truth, because an even better theory may come along in the future which is even more accurate.

Of course a better theory is the the whole point of doing science. Science doesn't find the "truth", whatever that is. It finds the highest quality of information possible and new questions and ways to improve the quality of information.

Of course that won’t be `the truth` either but just a better refined tool which itself will become out-dated.

Yep. You got it. Better information, better tools, better questions.

Theists have tools as well but for different jobs.

"Making stuff up" is only a useful tool when someone can't admit they don't know the answer and have no way to find out.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Making stuff up isn’t a tool and also not what I said, but I won’t debate the pitfalls of paradigm shift with you. If atheism works for you than good on ya.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Making stuff up isn’t a tool and also not what I said, but I won’t debate the pitfalls of paradigm shift with you.

It most certainly is a tool. I know you didn't say it, it's the one I chose to comments on. I could have picked guilt, repression, fear, shunning, manipulation, etc.

You tried to execute a paradigm shift, but I noticed it and corrected the incorrect ideas about science you were posting. I am here to help.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I was kind of referring to Immanuel Kant but oh well.

• Viviane
    Viviane

If you want to talk about Kant, just say so. I can't read your mind.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Not really.

• Viviane
    Viviane

So you were referring to something you don't want to talk about? OK....

• Giordano
    Giordano

Personally I don't care if a god exists or not. I am a gentle cynic who rejected my parents religions (both in the christian tradition). I think that everyone needs to take a hard look at their religion as an adult.

A hand me down religion, like hand me down clothes, may not be a good fit......... in fact it could be a terrible fit.

I prefer to be called a non-believer. 'Non's, are people who don't identify with any religion, they are now the third largest group in the world in religious survey's. The internet and the advancement of science, has helped to fill in the gaps that religion once did.

To be fair most of the non's are not atheists or even agnostics. Most have not thought about it or care about it enough to even entertain the notion of belief or non belief in a god. It is just not that important to them.

In my personel opinion I think non's are the largest group in the world because while many still claim their religious traditon in a survey most don't follow the religon of their parents or grandparents. They are like the 'memorial' witness who shows up once a year. Personally that's a good thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit