Coping with becoming an atheist?

by Crazyguy 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Just wonder how you did it? Its been a very eye opening experience for me to find out that the god of the bible is as real as Thor or Ra. I still believe a higher power created life but can see now how it doesn't really care about us. So with this in mind realizing one has only 70-80 years to live and that may be just it, is very stunning.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Agree with you. Stunning is right.

Pavlovs monkeys.

An analogy. Man needs to build a chair. He had wood, saw and hammer. Figure it out. He did.

Like you, I believe in a creator. He has gven us the means to extend life. Find a cure for diseases. Defeat death!

Intelligence.

Man's mind and Science will figure it out some day.

Till then.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

If that is what you believe then you are not an atheist

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Lol, confusedandalone - "like"

Hairtrigger, I finally started checking off my bucket list and not taking one day for granted.

There are days where it would be lovely to step back in the bubble and delusionally believe again. For me, that's just not going to happen, so I'm focused on learning, experiencing and giving back to my community.

Carpe Diem!

• Satanus
    Satanus

'I still believe a higher power created life but can see now how it doesn't really care about us.'

'If that is what you believe then you are not an atheist'

That depends. It depends on what he believes the higher power is. If he sees it as a god, then you are correct. There are many possibilities. Perhaps, its not really a higher power. Perhaps, its not very smart, or very aware. Perhaps, it might be indescribable. Its something to argue about uselessly.

Perhaps, you have an aversion to beliefs which aren't 100% materialist.

S

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

God is someone you worship, thank, be grateful he/she/it created you etc. etc.

I used the word "creator. Requiring no worship or acknowledgement.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Satanus -you beat me to it

Thanks for the elucidation.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

my mind is starting to wonder in that direction. I never gave much thought to it before but the more i researcj, the more questions i have about the bible. i know i absolutely dont beloeve the wt, but now i am questioning more and more aboit the bible and religion in general.

I have considered myself a nondenominashional christian, believing God loves good people...and doesnt expect perfection...saw many examples of jesus showing love to sinners. now i wonder...about everything.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Actually it is more then stunning. I was an agnostic at first then took the athiest stance and while I haven't offiaclailly joined a religion I am spritual as in I belive in Chi etc and study Buddist texts .. even Proverbs in the bible is useful.

As an athiest I have more respect for the bible as a text then a beliver ever does of it as scripture.

As for life after death. I believe int he mutliverse and if you read recent threads they that explained many of my beliefs in life after death so I need not comment. However.. just in case... if life ends in nothingnes... how is it bad.. you won't know it lol

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

My mind is all over the place with this stuff but I really cannot believe in god anymore.

Are there higher powers or aliens or whatever? I do not in honesty know. All I know is they don't seem to help at all.

At my age I had hoped to be settled by now but life keeps throwing crap at me constantly, one thing after another.

I try to cope with life first before I ponder the impossible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit