Fred Franz Personal Experiences

by Bob_NC 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

There is so little to be found about the personal side of Fred Franz. It's as if he was an enigma except for his appearances to give District Convention speeches years ago. There is, of course, Ray Franz' take on his uncle in his book COC.

Please share you first-hand, or second-hand reliable, experiences. Later year experiences would be great too.

• mann377
    mann377

I sat at his table for a short time in '73 in the Squibb building. Lets see: green tie (bright) with red plaid shirt and brown wool pants. Some times talked to his shoes. Liked to listen to the bongo's played by a brother named Willy (he was in the press room with me). Liked his wine, a lot. When you talked to him you got the impression he was not listening but was in his own world. Never and I mean NEVER argue with him, I saw what happened to someone else. Very few people could talk to him so as to make a "point", one was Charlie Feckle (my old friend).

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

I went to visit him in the infirmary with my brother, mother and father back in the early 90's as a teen.

He was definitely a rockstar to most of the witnesses of my parents age group. I will admit whenm I first got there and he was babbling on and on about the glorious blah blah blah I wanted to leave. However he started speaking different languages and reaching out to touch people and have real conversation. He was blind so that was kind of creepy but he did genuinely want to spend time with people. I know he talked to his shoes etc... but he was a very very intelligent man that led many people down a deadly course but I do not believe that his intention was to genuinely cause peopple pain.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I heard he believed that wearing blue jeans were an indication of homosexuality.

And didn't he used to invite select young bethel guys to hang out with him in the sauna?

Or was it the hot tub?

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Some times talked to his shoes.

I know he talked to his shoes

Franz talked to his shoes. Russell got inspiration from the Pyramid. Rutherford was influenced by "spirits". Now it makes perfect sense why the Governing Body is changing the JW beliefs & doctrines so often.

• designs
    designs

'Franz talked to his shoes' lol

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

mann377 - "I sat at his table for a short time in '73 ... Some times talked to his shoes.

Cool. Dinner and a show.

mann377 - "Lets see: green tie (bright) with red plaid shirt and brown wool pants."

Herb Tarleck would have been proud.

• forest heathen
    forest heathen

He gave the dedication talk at the new KH in Harlingen TX in 1983. My husband and I were studying then. At first, I had no idea who this tiny elderly man from WT HQ was. Then one of the elders spelled it out for us and we understood what all the excitement was about.

I remember being told he spoke eight languages and was a Rhodes Scholar.

After the meeting the person who conducted our bible studies took us to meet him. He was just a friendly elderly man. We greeted him, he greeted us, we shook hands, said we enjoyed his talk, he said thank you. And that was about it.

Nothing extraordinary.

More interesting than him was an elder in a congregation we were in later, in San Antonio TX. Rudolf Graichen was a holocaust survivor. I believe he is still alive and in the area. I remember he always wore a bow tie to the meetings.

~ Forest Heathen

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Met him at a special talk he gave in our area in the late 70's. Kind. Distant. Automatic. He was like a tape recorder. You press play and he would come to life like some kind of wind up toy. He was viewed as an oracle. Everyone was in awe in his presence. The ORG had created an idol and look what it caused, 1975, the blood doctrine, and who knows how many other idiotic things.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I , of course never met him, but having listened to him speak, and read much, if not most, of his printed output, I believe Ray's estimate of him that he was Autistic to some degree was right.

He was not of course a Rhodes scholar, his command of languages was limited, especially of the ancient languages of the Bible, and all his beliefs were coloured by his contact with other W.T believers.

Because he was unable to really relate to people, and empathise with them, he was ideal as someone who could serve as an "Oracle" for the W.T, he would say in life, and in print, what he felt was best for the advancement of the W.T.

He cared not, or rather to be fair, was incapable of caring, what terrible effects his doctrines and pronouncements had on the lives of the average J.W.

Probably more to be pitied than denigrated, he was one of life's mis-fits.

But he did have a baleful effect on the lives of so many, mine included.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit