As a parent, did you ever have a swimming pool and invite neighbor kids?

by 4thgen 17 Replies latest social family

• finally awake
    finally awake

I would not permit kids to swim without an adult at home, even teenagers. We had neighbors who had a pool, they went somewhere and the teen son had friends over. They got the brilliant idea to jump off the garage roof into the pool. One kid missed, and was paralyzed. They got sued and lost, of course, because it was their duty to supervise.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Very sad.....thx for the warning

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Do check your homeowner's policy, we were threatened with cancellation unless we took down our small above-ground pool. The neighbors must have had a better policy as they got to keep theirs up...

• twice shy
    twice shy

We have a pool and my children have been swimming for about 7 years now. My youngest is 11. They always looked forward to having friends over and thus far we only had one incident where a child lied about their swimming abilities. Since the kid was old enough to be truthful about water I took their word. Long story short...I ended up giving swimming lessons that evening.

Now, unless they've been here before and already shown themselves as capable swimmers; THEY MUST BE ABLE TO SWIM THE FULL LENGTH OF OUR POOL AND BACK.

Our other pool rules which are ingrained in their skulls is:

1. Two people must be outside or inside the pool swimming at all times. NO LONE SWIMMERS

2. You must be able to hold your breath under water for atleast 30 seconds.

3. You must have floaties or a life jacket if you can't swim.

4. Absolutely no running around the pool deck.

5. No eating or drinking near the pool.

6. Everyone needs to bring their own towels and dry clothes. You'll be surprised at how many of the teenage boys will show up in just their trunks.

* TIP- if you live in an area that is susceptible to wind even when it's a million degrees outside then swim caps will go a long ways. Also, for the young ones as they tend to get cold quicker because the water can be a bit cold. It can be 120 degrees outside, but if that water is 70 or colder; that water will be cold and they won't stay in long.

Having said all that, the kids have a wonderful time. When we BBQ the parents don't have a problem keeping an eye on the younger swimmers if someone needs to run in the house. We've had more than 10 kids swimming at one time that were all decent swimmers (but, that's regulated by your comfort level). Everyone can't wait for swimming season to start at the end of Mar/early April.

It will be some great memories at any age. They really love to invite friends over and feel free. I don't mean to impose, but swim safety is a must.

Enjoy. Hope this helps.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

TWICE SHY: Thank you very much. It helps a bunch! Excellent advise. Thanks for taking the time to post. 4thgen

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

We had a swimming pool in our back yard. The rules were if you went out in service in the morning, you were invited over for the afternoon.

We had lots of fun, lots of BBQ's, lots of parties. The only part I didn't like, was when I was a little girl, and people would come over and walk around the pool and gaze into the water and say, "But how safe is the water for children?" I never clicked in that this was my mom's cue she was waiting for to push me into the deep end, even in winter, unheated water, fully clothed, with leather shoes on. I would struggle to the top and make my way out, smiling of course, anything else was not acceptable. I guess the part I didn't hear was her probably telling the parents, as I was trying not to drown in sometimes freezing water, "Always make sure your children know how to swim... "

My 8th grade class was invited over. My dad helped the boys to make old fashioned crank style , ice cream.

I don't know how long your outdoor swimming season is but I wish you joy, fun and lots of happy memories.

I would definitely vote yes for a swimming pool.

LoisLane

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have heard of people who have a flag that is raised to signal that the pool is open to visitors. That way the family can enjoy the pool without constantly fielding requests from the neighbors, or feeling like the bad guy for saying no.

• twice shy
    twice shy

4thgen- You're so very berry welcome.

@Lois- great story.

I was having a great laugh reading your story while thinking of when the pool guy fell into the pool in mid winter.

Hey, thanks for the reminder about the deep end. We also do a tread water test which is sort of a game for the deep.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit