Did the WT ever unofficially ban Kal-El?

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

A few years ago Avatar was 'demonized' by the WT. In reality their argument had an extreme ignorance of Hinduism and a poor knowledge of modern langauge (Avatar means something else nowadays.... )

But anyway when i was growing up my parents recorded the 4 supermen movies on to video tape as they were played on TV.

Nowadays I have them all on one DVD however I noted a few points:

In the first movie Lois calls superman metaporically 'a god' in their cloud scene.

In the second movie superman fights 3 demigods etc.

The third movie was loony and off the rocker so it need not be mentioned here.

The fourth movie had totally personified Satan as Solar man.

Through all this we must remember Supermans name is Kal-El.

El is a hebrew word that in post exilic times was used for God. (In Pre-Exilic times it was a deity seperate from yahweh.) Thus all through the bible would find names that start or end with El.

I was born 1978 thus by the time I started watching Superman on TV they were already reruns.

Did the WT ever demonize Superman like they did with Avatar?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I never heard them do this but again they were probably to stupid to connect the dots.

• blondie
    blondie

No, the WTS avoided mentioning specific movies because it always got them into hot water. Many "faithful" jws avoided seeing any "worldly" movies at all unless they rented/purchased a video/DVD and watched them at home. There was always someone in the congregation that only felt jw movies should be watched.

Long ago, and far away they mentioned Star Wars and ET.

I can remember as CO ranting from the platform at an assembly about the movie Scream and how some teenagers had gone into a different county to see it hoping no one would see them...I wonder why those other jws were there, only small towns around with one movie showing.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Hang on , we demonised avatar ? That must've slipped by me. . .

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Yeah the CO a few years ago said an avatar is a manifestation of a Hindu deity... while this is partially correct he fails to mention how many Hindus today believe this...

He said the movie-makers said that an avatar was a Hindu diety.... A flat out LIE!

He then showed every one a picture in the Search Book of a Blue avatar lookalike and said "SEE!". It was of course a picture of Shiva... not an avatar.

He mentioned in the movie is a place called Hallujah Mountain and said that was blasphemous..... Okay I guess the city of Corpus Christie is a blasphemous place... all the California cities with San before them are too

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I forgot to mention in the second movie after Zod takes over America and storms the white house he makes the president bow to him. The president says something like "dear god.." General Zod quickly corrects him and says: "ZOD!" lol

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

titanic was banned

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Ah I forgot about Titanic... It was an older brother (Born in 1920) that gave that part and said he had no idea why anyone wanted to watch a movie where you know the ending lol.... Of course this same brother condemned brothers for wearing blue jeans at home saying they should "look good for Jehovah and wear a suit ALL THE TIME!"

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

Decades ago, Joseph Campbell identified the Monomyth Cycle, also known as “The Hero's Journey” as a noted narrative in story telling. The majority of tales from Jesus Christ to James Bond uses this progression (in some variation) starting from an unlikely beginning, call to adventure, etc. etc. until they are dead (or we think they are dead), return, redemption, atonement, and finally freedom.

So when movies started to get more “symbolic” in their meaning (i.e. taking the monomyth and applying it to other aspects of fantasy) then yes... to any Christian fundamentalist the story of E.T. The Extraterrestrial seemed uncomfortable in its familiarity and the Star War's use of THE FORCE put literalism to the concept of the holy spirit. So the WTBTS mentioned these movies in Watchtower articles as there was such a ruckus about them. JWs are in no way unique in this as many Christian fundamentalists thought this way. I cannot stress how typical the WTBTS is at times.

But here is the flaw in this: EVERY story using the monomyth could be a metaphor for Jesus... mainly because the story of Jesus isn't that original in concept. Just in 1982 we had Annie, Blade Runner, An Officer and a Gentlemen, Tron, and Ghandhi that all had this theme.

So the WTBTS crated a bit of a problem for themselves: By mentioning specific movies, the purposefully inept and gullible masses were conflicted. E.T. and Star Wars are not allowed, but what about Superman – and OBVIOUS “Jesus” symbol, but honestly just a cartoon character that has been family-oriented since 1938. He has the philosophy of Jesus, the grace of Jesus, the mercy of Jesus, superhuman powers like Jesus, BUT no one thinks of him as Jesus even though there is such a warm Jesusy feel to the story. So it was confusing because everything from Ben-Hur to Tootsie follows a similar narrative pattern. WHAT ARE THEY TO DO?? And so people argued amongst themselves about what was appropriate and what was not. The Dark Crystal was not okay because it was sorcery, but the Secret of NIMH was okay because it was cartoon... and if that was fantasy that used A FORCE and okay why wasn't Star Wars which is obviously fantasy not okay? Etc. etc.

From then the WTBTS broke from their Adventist roots and Baptist brethren and stopped naming specific movies and characters to give only sweeping generalities toward the dangers from the entertainment industry by writing that viewing is left up to the publisher's discretion. Of course, this still meant that the elders could to judge someone if the publisher didn't make the “right” decision, but at least this way the WTBTS wouldn't get blamed.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

E.G. Marshall calls out to the human god to save us. I still recall the scene. My gf lived in the same dorm as Chris Reeve. Time for superman. Is there no place for fiction?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit