Anyone recall asemblies actually being fun?

by tim hooper 56 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was there at that Assembly on the vid...the old Twickenham Stadium before it was rebuilt modern : Sleeping in a large marquee tent on a camp bed that disintigrated : eating sloppy food from those trays ,probably having a hand in preparing it & washing up : late night sessions....

But it was FUN ..admittedly we were young then of course but the atmosphere was joyful , not being "told off " all the time as dubs feel these days

• noolite
    noolite

Nothing fun about it when I was a kid, i.e. Rose Bowl in '63. Being all of six years old, it was just something to be endured. Ditto for Atlanta in July of '69. However, by the time I was a teenager, it was good for one thing: scoping out "hot" sisters from congs unknown...I had an excuse to use my high-powered binoculars (supposedly for looking at the stage and watching 'dramas') instead being trained with intensity into the crowds of people hoping for a glimpse of panty or a lean-over. And yes, it happened once in a while, sure made things more interesting and bearable.

My cousin and I would take turns with the binocs and move closer and closer when we found a 'target'. Then we'd both chicken out when it came to possibly following said target and chatting her up. Sometimes we'd walk past and try to get a look at her name badge and make plans to visit her cong...of course this never happened but it was fun to plan (JW version of stalking, but harmless). Why did our cong have nothing but old crows, and all the ones from cities or states away had all the hot young sisters? Such questions would never be answered.

I often thought to myself, I wonder if any of those hot sisters ever had any inkling that they were being watched obsessively by horny young bro's for hours during the long, boring sermons that went in one ear and out the other? Did any of these sisters use their binoculars to check out the guys? Perhaps...

No one I knew listened to even one word coming from the stage - it was just endless droning and waiting for the break so we could get something to eat at the concession stand and walk around and enjoy the 'view'.

• tank
    tank

Assemblies are boring, I knew it was all lies,

When I was 16 (1976ish) I took the bus home at lunch time. My parents car was full as they had to give a rides to others in our congregation, so I decided to leave early. They never found out.

• sir82
    sir82

I was in Prague 1991 on Strahov stadium which had over 100,000 JWs.

I was there too.

If you are a full-bore believer, as I was then, big events like that are very enjoyable.

• designs
    designs

sir82- Did they serve Beer

• sir82
    sir82

No beer, but I recall hearing stories of assemblies in, where - maybe Germany? - which had beer. Not sure what years though.

• kaik
    kaik

Strahov 1991 was fun into certain degree. It was also the most ethustiastic time for me in JW organization. However, it was too long, too hot, elders constantly monitored with whom we talked to and way. I got reprimented for taking my shirt off and was there in white t-short. I was sweating. Lines into WC were long, etc. One day event would be just fine. Three days sitting on stadium...it was painfull (at least to me).

Yeah and no beer served. But evening we used to go to pub to get some beer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit