Luke 12:45 - Does that mean the F&D can go "bad"?

by thedepressedsoul 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

The more I read the gospels the more I get the feeling that Jesus warns about organized religion or those that overbear on your faith telling you completely how to worship god.

Let's say Luke chapter 12 is talking about the F&S. Does vs 45 on mean that the F&S can turn bad so to speak? When it talks about beating its servants could that mean requiring money, being overbearing on their faith etc...?

Scripture I always wondered about since they base the F&S off of that scripture, they can't just ignore part 45 since it shows that they can tech be doing wrong and pay for it when Jesus comes.

Thoughts?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Well...yes and no. The answer is "yes" if you believe the bible is God's word. The answer is "no" if you listen to the self-appointed WTBTS FDS. They say that the "evil slave" is merely hypothetical and could NEVER apply to them! Since when does a discreet Christian ever exalt themselves to the point where they cannot fail???

Of course these are the same watchtards that claim the FDS cannot be all anointed because it is a singular term. Then they say it can't be one guy, but a collective. So it's a singular-collective that just so happens to be the Governing Body of the Watchtower Corporation! How convenient! "We are the FDS because we say so, and it is impossible for us to ever turn bad!"

Talk about the epitome of hubris!!

DD

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

thedepressedsoul - "The more I read the gospels the more I get the feeling that Jesus warns about organized religion or those that overbear on your faith telling you completely how to worship god."

You're not the first person to get that impression, and you probably won't be the last, either.

You might want to read Jesus For the Non-Religious by John Shelby Spong.

thedepressedsoul - "Does vs 45 on mean that the F&S can turn bad so to speak? When it talks about beating its servants could that mean requiring money, being overbearing on their faith etc...?"

If it does, I'm certain that that insight has gone completely over the GB's collective head.

The irony certainly isn't lost on us, though.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Data-Dog - "...they claim the FDS cannot be all anointed because it is a singular term. Then they say it can't be one guy, but a collective. So it's a singular-collective..."

Gosh, where have we heard that before?

Oh yeah, the Trinity.

Or Voltron.

• Londo111
  • sporece
    sporece

Good luck on finding out anything about the bible and its interpretation.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, the account's wording, "if that servant", indicates that it's the same slave as the one who is faithful and wise. It's a parable with two potential outcomes.

The Society used to claim that the evil slave was a separate "class" represented today by apostates. They changed this interpretation in the July 15, 2013 WT, acknowledging that the evil slave is a potential outcome for the slave that is appointed over the domestics. However, they are confident that this could not possibly happen to them.

I can't help but wonder if the Society is going to regret this change in the years to come, as it has opened them up to accusations of "becoming corrupted" which could lead to offshoot religions if they institute any changes that are too controversial.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Mt. 24:48 reads "if THAT slave".

To me the explanation given in 2013 has given a lot of pause for thought.

There is ZERO discussion as to whether or not the slave, the GB, has acted evilly, beating his fellow slaves. (Should we start the list and risk crashing this website and maybe even the internet with overload?)

Instead, it is argued that the slave has not stopped giving food.

Which then makes the slave "hypothetical."

The word hypothetical is used ONCE in the whole WT Library when talking about an illustration or parable.

• twice shy
    twice shy

It's so sad that they think only good thing in the bible apply to the faithful and discreet slave or governing body. How all the condemnation and guidelines apply only to Christendom and not to all the religions.

They love keeping their blinders on.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

You are right when you say the gospels seem to indicate not being part of an organization, Jesus was the temple the high priest the mediator, the sacrafice so all that was needed was him. So anyway going to a religion especially one that inserts itself in bewteen Jesus and Man is Idolaltry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit