The Spirits of God

by Stephen Levi 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Stephen Levi
    Stephen Levi

Revelation, Chapter 1, 4: John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Revelation, Chapter 3, 1: And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Revelation, Chapter 4, 5: And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God. Revelation, Chapter 5, 6: And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Yes, it all makes perfect sense now, the seven spirits will make their way through all the earth. Not quite there yet though, drink more!

• Stephen Levi
    Stephen Levi

Romans, Chapter 8, 2: For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. Revelation, Chapter 11, 11: And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them. The Seven Spirits of God 1. The Spirit of Life

• Perry
    Perry

Please go on Stephen.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Although I do not really believe in god anymore I will admit these are beautiful and poetic words.

If only this verse said: Revelation, Chapter 3, 1: And unto the angel of the church in TARDIS.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

I'm with Perry. My curiosity is piqued but I'm not sure what direction this is going.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Supposing that the intent is to contrast the "seven spirits" of Revelation with the singular "spirit" mentioned elsewhere, here is a little from the BECNT-Revelation (Grant R. Osborne, p.61):

The second source, "the seven spirits that are before his [God's] throne," is also debated. While many think the Πνευμάτων (pneumaton, spirits) are angels (see additional notes for details), it is better to see this in light of Isa. 11:2 LXX (which adds a seventh virtue, "godliness," to the six in the MT) and Zech 4:2, 10 (with seven lamps as "the eyes of the LORD, which range throughout the earth") as referring to the "sevenfold Holy Spirit," with seven emphasizing the Spirit's perfect work (so also De Smidt 1994: 241). The key is Zech. 4:6, where the "LORD Almighty" defines this action as "not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit." As Baukham (1993a: 110-11) brings out, the Spirit then is the means by which God will destroy the might and power of the dragon and the beast. Three other texts mention "the seven spirits": in Rev 3:1 Christ "holds the seven spirits of God," showing that he is the Spirit of Christ; in 4:5 seven lamps are blazing before the throne of God, and in 5:6 the "sevenfold Spirit" is characterized even more closely with Zechariah, as the Lamb is described as having "seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth, building on the "seven lamps . . . sent out" in Zech 4:2. The sevenfold Spirit is both "of God" (3:1; 4:5) and of the Lamb (5:6). Swete (1911: 6) believes that the sevenfold nature of the Spirit here is also due to the fact that he ministers to the seven churches of Asia, where the Spirit is the basis of the message and the key to their understanding and obedience ("hear what the Spirit says to the churches").

[End quote]

• KateWild
    KateWild

Stephen,

Welcome to JWN, a support site for JWs and exJWs. Thank you for quoting some scriptures. What is your point? I am keen to know why you posted. I look forward to your next post.

Kate xx

• Stephen Levi
    Stephen Levi

"What is your point? I am keen to know why you posted."

Ask me this question, if you still need to, after the thread has run it's course.

• Perry
    Perry

Isaiah Chapter 11 names the Spirits:

And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: And the (1) spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the (2) spirit of wisdom and (3) understanding, the (4) spirit of counsel and (5) might, the (6) spirit of knowledge and of the (7) fear of the LORD;

And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:

But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit