Opposing opinions

by GoUnion 10 Replies latest jw friends

• GoUnion
    GoUnion

any current or ex jw knows there is a lot of counsel against association with nice people that do not share your faith. I think this is very damaging for personal growth, we never really can challenge our convictions, we become stunted in ability to reason and make personal decisions. this is also why the organization has fought against "higher education" so hard.

Im im not a college graduate myself but for most of my life I have always been friends with some staunch athiests and we have had some heated debates, but we have always remained close friends and I know we respect each other. Since I have left the organization I think I am just now starting to see how isolated and controlled witnesses are.

any thoughts on friends that you disagree with religiously, socially, politically?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I disagree with lots of my friends on many different subjects. They are of course wrong and will eventually see things my way.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

since leaving i have tryed to avoid social talk on both religion and politics, but if it crops up i would describe it as honest open and friendly conversation.I think i am certainly more open to other peoples point of view and i like to thing i am right 75% of the time, but its probobly more likely i am now 50%. At least iam no longer 100% always right in my views. ( i mean the organisations view point which infact made me 100%wrong and a fanatic) Hope that makes sence?

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Part of the humiliation in learning TTATT is acknowledging that you used to TOTALLY believe that you had a monopoly on truth, and that it was your God-given duty to waken people up to that fact and show them how wrong THEIR thinking was!

Now I'm of the opinion that I have so much to un-learn, and still so much to learn, that I will only present my views as my personally acquired understanding, nothing more!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I think this is very damaging for personal growth, we never really can challenge our convictions, we become stunted in ability to reason and make personal decisions. this is also why the organization has fought against "higher education" so hard.

Typical of a cult!

• caroline77
    caroline77

I have lots of friends, both religious and not. Listen to what they say and analyse it carefully. Some are right and some wrong. Sometimes we both accept the same thing but don't realise it as we misunderstand what the other is saying. It all goes to make life more interesting.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

cantleave LOL but you forgot to add that if they don't come around to your way of thinking they deserve to die an imminent horrible painful death

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

cantleave "I disagree with lots of my friends on many different subjects.

They are of course wrong and will eventually see things my way."

DITTO I try to explain to people I am never, ever, wrong, but they

are just too thick to get it.

• steve2
    steve2

The organization follows closely the principle espoused by Oscar Wilde when he wrote "Give me my way in absolutely everything - and you'll never find a more pleasant person". As adapted by the Witnesses, it reads, "Surround me in absolutely everyhting with my fellow believers - and I'll pleasantly avoid ever having to endure my beliefs being questioned".

• Fernando
    Fernando

I find that I have become much more inclusive and can now tolerate almost anything and anyone bar rabid (apostate Watchtower) religion/ists (and their secret yet prolific aberrant behaviour including fraud, rape and incest).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit