BOE re:Adjusted Process to Accelerate Kingdom Hall Construction

by TTATTelder 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

That actually makes sense from a business prospective.

• antes8080
    antes8080

they will be billioners after may 31st, i was the KH maintance comitee Acct servant and the account has well over 75,000 a friends hall over 150k.

you could keep up too 5000 geez thanks, when the C.O comes and checks the Account they will make sure you dont have more then 5000dlls

we got turn in are slip in by this weekend on how much we can donate, ttatt elder did you put a low number or high?

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

My theory on what all this money is for is: advertisement. I think we will see the move into internet and tv advertisements. Why not? It will cost money but this is exactly what they will have very much of after may 31st. It's a new Kingdom century strategy an old century twist, Advertise! Advertise! Advertise!

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I suppose this is just part of tying up the loose ends.

The Organization has gradually become title holder of all property.

No more local autonomy on Kingdom Hall decisions other than minor repairs.

Corporate is the land owner, local congregations are renters, renters have no say in what happens to the rented facility ... but they will respectfully take into consideration their suggestions when making decisions.

No more lawsuits about selling, consolidating, moving etc. No property rights to the congregation.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Its interesting that they specify that the projects under 5,000 dollars are to be handled by the congregation. Most maintenance cost don't exceed this individually... I can envision something of the like happening:

In the same year: Sound system needs fixing: 1,000$. Furnace requires repairs: 4,500$. -- they already busted their 5,000 $ funds and anything else in that year, they will need to ask the branch.

Interesting... I guess it won't be as glamerous for many Elders to hold to their positions.

I can also see the scenario where a KH needs more than $5k in repairs (i.e. new sound system at $1k, new HVAC at $4k, new carpet at $2k for a total of $7K) and the LDC requires them to break it down into individual items, each under the $5k threshold and the congregations have to pay for it all on their own.

This way they can force congregations to send all their savings in, without ever actually having to give anything back except in the most extreem circumstances, which seems to be their MO up to this point.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

So after reading these several BOE letters about the new WT solicitaiton and financing arrangements-am I suppose to now disregard what has previously been said on the subject of religion and money?

“At the meetings of Jehovah’s Witnesses no collection plates are passed, and no solicitation of money is ever made. A contribution box is placed in the hall, and anyone desiring to help in defraying expenses may contribute as he sees fit.” (10/1/77 Awake pg 603)

“In this new and refreshing association with other grateful ones, it became our privilege to lend ourselves generously to the aims and activities of the group. As we enjoyed the conveniences of the Kingdom Hall we became conscious of the fact that it must cost something to maintain such places. There was no need for anyone to shake a collection plate under our nose or supply us with printed dues envelopes, as is the practice in many of Christendom’s religious houses. No one has to solicit funds to carry on the work of the great Owner of the universe, we learned. Yes, we came to realize that it is repugnant to true Christians to beg, cajole and pressurize people into giving contributions. Responsible men in the congregations, we noted, were fully aware that such solicitation is not in harmony with the spirit and principles of Christianity.” (5/15/73 W pg 298)

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

So it is no longer repugnant to true Christians to beg, cajole and pressurize people into giving contributions as the May 15, 1973 Watchtower on page 298 says and that solicitation is now in harmony with the spirit and principles of Christianity?

Is that what the GB of the WTBTS is now telling me?

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

So the local KH "rainy day fund" is no more. Congregation expenses for three months and MAYBE a 5K reserve. This is brilliant. Get rid of the DO's, make the CO's solely responsible. Tell the CO's to "remind" the congregations of the arrangement. Liquidate accounts and send to the ORG.

Pure genius!

Old timers who grew up with the "save for a rainy day" mentality will not like this. New ones will stop giving based on the announcement that the majority of the reserves were sent directly to the ORG. Me thinks this will backfire

SOP

• sir82
    sir82

Old timers who grew up with the "save for a rainy day" mentality will not like this. New ones will stop giving based on the announcement that the majority of the reserves were sent directly to the ORG. Me thinks this will backfire

I tend to agree.

Which makes me think this new arrangement is primarily a one-time money-grab, to get their hands on the $50,000, 100,000, 200,000 many congregations have saved up for their own proposed building projects.

• dozy
    dozy

I can foresee a lot of problems with this new system. One of the biggest sources of confrontation in the past was friction between elders and the RBC - this is only going to intensify now that the authority of the local body of elders has been taken away. What happens , for example , if a body of elders wants to build an extension or do a major renovation & the branch vetoes it? 5K hardly buys much these days - a new KH carpet would be more than that. So different now it is the "societies money" - he who pays the piper plays the tune - I can see the new RBC just saying " do you really need new chairs / carpet etc ".

It is just part of the growing centralisation and expanding of the authority of the Society. They have long coveted the funds being held in congregation bank accounts - it is just a cash grab by any other name.

I think the long term WTBTS corporate plan is to rationalise and sweat Kingdom Hall assets - close down and sell off any where congregations can be combined , reduce rebuilds and renovations and focus investment on the trophy assets of the major HQs in England , Germany & ( especially ) the USA.

Finally I had to laugh at the comment in the letter that " if the individual offers to donate the funds outright, that would be their decision and it must be made without any prompting. "

Our congregation used to have money deposited with the WTBTS - every year they would write to us confirming the amount and asking if we would prefer to donate the funds if we didn't require them. The CO also asked the question every time he met with us " don't you think you should really just donate the money , brothers? ". Eventually, by a majority vote ( I voted against ) we decided to convert the conditional donation to a donation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit