the green mile?

by sparrowdown 57 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Just wondering.

Do you agree/disagree with capital punishment?

Are there any circumstances that would justify it?

Or is taking any human life unacceptable, regardless of the crime?

I

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Depends on who it is. The gut they botched the execution on ?

He shot a girl and then buried her ALIVE , he took 45 minutes to die

that was merciful, they should have just buried him alive.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yeah, villagegirl-

Saw that on the news, but the report never mentioned what his crime was or how the execution

had been botched apart from it being lethal injection. Horrible.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

I'm anti capital punishment.

Not because of sympathy for the condemned. I just believe that if you give a government the power to kill it's own citizens then you end up with a draconian penal system.

• talesin
    talesin

^^^ What he said.

violent criminals? sociopaths? paedophiles? Put them on an island, guarded by technology, to protect society from them. They can live out their lives, farming their land, whatever they choose to do. Banishment is good enough for me.

tal

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Capital punishment, inprisionment, waterboarding, and other forms of torture etc...are one day in the future going to all be viewed as barbaric and right along with the bible's eye for and eye as just punishment to be imposed by the official city gate judges. It really doesn't make completely good sense to beleive in an imaginary superior justice system, it is not real and based on culture and to a equal extent religious beleifs or non religious beleifs that are full of bias and subjectivity. IOW there is no absolute justice "out there somewhere" calling the shots, instead it is all very subjective, and base on a human value system at the time. So I would say everything will evolve and if we don't go extinct in the process, we will have come up with a better solution to the problems or crimes of our time.

One day thru genetics or other means we will have better remedies for such rare offenses, maybe an injection or implant to modify behavior and bring the offending party to a better condition through a better understanding of human nature, and psychology.

• cofty
    cofty

I agree with Frankie - WOW!

• Zoos
    Zoos

One day thru genetics or other means we will have better remedies for such rare offenses, maybe an injection or implant to modify behavior and bring the offending party to a better condition through a better understanding of human nature

If some creep came into your home, raped your wife and daughters, slit their throats and left with a grin on his face, would behavior modification satisfy your sense of justice? (Feel free to call it revenge.)

I have no problem with the death penalty.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

@ tim hooper - "if you give a government the power to kill it's own citizens".

Governments TAKE that power for themselves when they want to, as is seen in many "civilized" countries whenever there is civil unrest against a government decision.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I agree with Frankie - WOW!

Yes Mr. WOO WOO himself and you agree with him???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit