Did Any Atheist/Agnostic Revert Back to Their Former Beliefs?

by Space Madness 56 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

You just can't beat Thor for a rock solid god.

• LV101
    LV101

jgnat - I didn't realize Bob Dylan had dismissed his Christian conversion - interesting.

An article was in our local newspaper within the past 6 yrs. about his son who mentioned how much he appreciated his father, Bob Dylan, teaching/instilling him with good moral values. I've heard a couple of radio ministers discuss Dylan being a Christian (born again - I think) and it saved his life from overdosing. The one seemed quite knowledgeable about Dylan - who knows.

I PM'd you - my friend (an ex-witness I hope doesn't return to the cult) is interested in attending a church and I'm hoping she finds a mainstream one - anything to keep her from jumping back to the JWs. She doesn't even have any family involved w/JWs but is in contact/works with other witnesses. Oh my!

Thanks.

LV

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

@galaxie

Assuming there is no God and all the positive results people experience are just a placebo effect, why exactly is that a problem? If belief in God makes me a better person, isn't that enough for me to justify my belief? Why get rid of something that's beneficial for me just because of the perceived evidence? It would be like someone stopping medication that's clearly working for them just because some people believe the evidence says it shouldn't work. There's no proof on whether God exist or not so I believe its logical to choose the one that yields the best results.

• startingover
    startingover

Regarding the OP, when I figured out my birth religion was faulty, I started looking into other beliefs, and next god came under scrutiny. When I could not find the necessary evidence, letting go of beliefs in the supernatural was the most liberating feeling I have ever experienced. Unlike you, it got rid of my depression. Guess I don't have a "god gene", my life is so much better without it.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, I guess I'm unusual on this forum as I don't really care whether anyone believes in God or not. Personally, I'm unable to; but I don't think belief in God is harmful- just the other baggage that goes with it- the us vs. them feeling, the idea that this life isn't important, the self-righteousness, the discrimination of minorities etc. etc which seem to be tied to a belief in a supernatural being. I really think it is best to live as if there is no god... then you will never be disappointed, lol.

• kaik
    kaik

I do not believe in Christianity anymore as I am surrounded by mostly Jewish people. Faith in God is not possible to verify; it is a personal matter of every individual. I do believe in His existence as the Creator of the universe, but I am lacking a vision of specific god of Christianity or Judaism. However, I do pray. I met people who are atheists as well and they do not believe in anything. I have not find atheist more depressed than believers. I find many believers more crazy than the atheists and have often worse behavior. Some people after WT turn either into atheist or even more crazy because they think and feel that JW organization is not religious enough.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Design that made me laugh!

Sparrow, I did the same! Unfortunately, with time everything changed. Like minded people all moved or went to other kh, and the doctrines changed.

It is a hard one but some day you might leave again realising that you out grew like minded folks.

In some odd way that is what we have in common with atheist. :-)

Anyhow, there is no such thing as a perfect religion so I wish you happiness and peace of mind.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Hi space, anything which makes someone a better person is ok in my book. If only it was the case for all believers, unfotubately its not always the case as history can confirm

Best wishes to you .

• galaxie
    galaxie

Oops spellcheck!!!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Galaxie, who said anything about belief in the supernatural? I said belief in God. I characterize it as not logical, but as part of my sets of feelings along with loyalty, affection and others.

Loyalty and affection are not logical but we consider them admirable qualities anyways.

An analogy I thought of overnight is the difference between picking a life-partner from a carefully crafted list, and being swept up in a rush of hormones. It might be argued that the emotional choice is superior. Why? Because all of those inexpressible compatibilities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit