I was a door-to-door magazine salesman...but I didn’t know it!

by Londo111 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

I remember in high school, somebody asked me what I said to people at the door and so I gave my presentation, including the Watchtower and Awake for 50 cents. The kid asked me why I charged money for the magazines and I had no good answer.

The Watchtower has been a money-centered business since 1879.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

What about the stacks of unplaced "back issues" everyone had laying around their house but were too conscientious about them to throw them away ?

They used to "encourage" every member to have their own magazine subscription and of course there was the door to door subscription campaigns, as if any non JW would want a years subscription of the magazines. I never could bring myself to ask anyone if they wanted one.

I remember how you were supposed to put any left over "assembly meal tickets" back in the contribution box, rather than save them for the next assembly.

They not only made profit on the food you ate and made money on food you didn't even get.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Ah, yes, I forgot about the subscriptions. I'm not sure if I ever offered one at the door or not.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I will never forget when the donation arrangement came into affect. I was a newly married and my husband had been asked to move where the need was great. We both pioneered and were trying to live on $200.00 a month which did not work but anywho my husband was busying doing his elder thing after the meeting and he asked me to go and get the magazines for the next day in service. I did not have any money as I got paid on Fridays, and it was only a donation right. Well that had just started and the brother behind the counter asked me for money, I said it is the donation arrangement now. He pullled the magazines out of my hand and LOUDLY said until I see money from you I will not give you one magazine. He was shaking with anger at me.

I was so morrified I just wanted to crawl away. My husband of course did not believe me as this bother was just too nice to be so nasty, I had to be making it up. I will never forget how horrible I felt that day.

LITS

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

nd I know of a congregation that had its credit with the Society cancelled because the numbers didn't match up.

If this doesn't show the true face of the Watchtower org, then i don't know what does. What happened to the concept of "giving what you can"?. So if the brothers in one specific congo didn't have a lot of money and couldn't come up with the right number, they would be penalized by not receiving "proper food"? How is this fair? And how it is fair that the homeowners living in that congo's territory should also be penalized by this?

What is interesting is that organizational nuances are not really known by the congregation. The elders keeps these issues hidden from the brothers, as to not make these flaws evident.

• Londo111
    Londo111

It is my understanding that magazines were still sold in third world countries where governments were more lax. I'm not sure if that still goes on, or if it stopped, when.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Yep, LOL. "I'll be happy to leave this set of magazine's for just 50 cents." (I think I remember them being 15 cents each at one time)

No, we're not peddler's of the good news.

Phae

• Londo111
    Londo111

Not at all! LOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit