Japanese Tea Ceremony

by jgnat 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

When pushed in a discussion this spring, about what I believe now, I likened spirituality to a Japanese Tea Ceremony. I believe a good part of our experience and knowing comes from a vast well of the inexpressible. Try and explain it with words is just not the same. To feel that spiritual connection one must experience it.

Ever since that discussion, I meant to attend such a ceremony and I finally did today, what should be in normal years, our spring. The gently falling snow put a chill on that idea. The tea ceremony was a feast for the senses, every ritualized movement rich with meaning. I was overwhelmed with feeling, and a perceptive hostess approached me and asked how I liked it. She suggested I attend one of the more intimate ceremonies next time.

https://plus.google.com/101031800144975623378/posts/Gt9umCvVxSX

• jgnat
    jgnat

*sigh*

Yes, obviously, a highly personal and inarticulate affair. I wish I could share it with more of you.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I really want to go to one. I would imagine it's beautiful.

Another thing that I really want to do is go to a Buddhist temple and I think I've found one in Keller, Texas that I'm going to check out.

Thanks for sharing jgnat.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It sounds interesting, Japanese culture has always interested me. They value things that aren't even talked about in Western culture, we don't even have the words.

• applehippie
    applehippie

A Japanese Tea ceremony is practically performance art with the emphasis on form and ritualised movements. It must have been a lovely experience. Thank you for sharing. Were those your photos? I particularly liked the floral arrangement.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Many years ago I walked into a tea ceremony at our local library. There was quite a turn out but it was an upscale town. I enjoyed seeing the preparation. The tea tasted dreadful to me and I smiled as though it was tasty. I believe I was the only one who did not like the tea. The woman had learned years earlier. It is considered a good social skill. She did not want tot take the course at the time but she was wonderful during the ceremony.

• zebagain
    zebagain

Thats sounds a great experience. I could not open the photos but i am familiar with the ceremony. Very refined culture.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Legend has it that the first Japanese Emperor to drink tea, was Emperor Saga, the 52nd, Emperor of Japan. He ruled from 809 AD - 823 AD.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful day with us.

LoisLane

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

There does seem to be something soothing about the ritual of making and drinking tea.

I like Sherlock Holmes favourite lap sang souchong or a good assam is nice too.

• zebagain
    zebagain

OK, Take a small 1 pint billy ( a small metal pot) now make sure its not a large 1 pint billy.

add water and place billy over low camp fire until the water boils, remove from fire and throw in a small (see above) hand ful of tea leaves.

Take billy by handle and swing it around several times. This will help the leaves to settle.

You now have outback billy tea. While the tea 'draws' place a green eucalypt twig with leaves over the billy.

when the temp is down enough to drink pour it into the drinking muggs that you have lined up. Add sugar if you like.

Ask any older Aussie about 'billy tea' it is nectar of the gods.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit