Jehovah's Witnesses's Matthew 24:14 Good News of the Kingdom.. A different Good News Galatians 1:9

by objectivetruth 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Ah, I see Des. I thought you meant Charlatan in the sense of a "Quack" who knows full well he is deceiving people, of course it has the meaning you give to it as well, and does apply to Paul, who mistakenly thought he had special knowledge.

With Freddie Franz I think he knew a lot of his stuff was pure wishful thinking, to be polite about it, and to that extent he was both a Chalatan and a Quack !

I can see too now, which I struggled to understand a few years ago, the appeal of Paul's message to Gentiles, it bypassed Rome's gods, and it freed them from the hegemony of their own local Priests too.

Of course, much more shedding of outdated ideas is needed to find the true freedom that comes from discovering a rational way of thinking and living.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

2 Thess. 1:8, 9: “Those who do not know God and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus . . . will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction.”

objectivetruth,

Notice the correlation through scripture of "Those who do not know God".

John 16:1-4

"I have spoken these things to YOU that YOU may not be stumbled. 2  Men will expel YOU from the synagogue. In fact, the hour is coming when everyone that kills YOU will imagine he has rendered a sacred service to God. 3  But they will do these things because they have not come to know either the Father or me. 4  Nevertheless, I have spoken these things to YOU that, when the hour for them arrives, YOU may remember I told them to YOU.

Are those who do not know God the ones being disfellowshipped?

or

Are they the ones doing the disfellowshipping?

BTW, the five English words; "expel YOU from the synagogue" are being used to translate one Greek word which, simply means excommunicated.

abe

• designs
    designs

I think Freddie was one of those persons who believe that god speaks to them, actually puts his brilliance into someone's mind. Which is dangerous on several levels. It gives these charlatans street creds, they have convinction when they speak and write just as Paul had.

Freddie was convinced of his 7000 year theory, thought it was from some higher power, and that transplated into how he wrote and spoke of pasages like Matthew 24.

• Fernando
    Fernando

The problem with Matt 24:14 and the Watchtower's reductionist interpretation of it, is that they end up with a one-ingredient gospel.

The whole gospel has at least 30 essential ingredients.

If a medicine had 30 essential ingredients, the one-ingredient version would be a dangerous counterfeit.

• designs
    designs

The association between extreme guilt and hallucinations was probably never connected in Paul's day as it is understood in modern psychology.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Dear Obtruth, I think you have a simplistic view of how "Christianity" developed in the 1st Century, it is evident that Paul had his Christology, and the Apostles in Jerusalem another, rather different one. Paul had little regard for their views if they clashed with his.

Phizzy - You're right, I have not studied the development of Christianity too much.. However regardless of who said what, when or how.. The fact is NOONE ever said.. "From the year 1914 onward, The Benefit of Salvation will have an added requisite. At this time you will need to associate yourselves with the Governing Body" It is only the Simplest and Purest of truth that can be understood. 1 Cor 2:14 NLT But people who aren't spiritual can't receive these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can't understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means.

Laika - See Russell's quote - "We reasoned that, if Christ's coming was to end probation and bring irrevocable ruin upon ninety nine of a hundred of mankind, then it could scarcely be considered desirable, neither could we pray with a proper spirit, "Come, Lord Jesus, Come quickly." (SUPPLEMENT TO ZION'S WATCH TOWER AND HERALD OF CHRIST'S PRESENCE Jun 1879) - Anyone JW who prays for the kingdom to come, now.. Is praying for 999 out of 1000 humans to be Destroyed.

Designs - Paul was an apostates just like Jesus, and all of his apostles

. Ablebodied - Are those who do not know God the ones being disfellowshipped?

Are they the ones doing the disfellowshipping?

Great Point!

Based on scripture, Every witness who teaches the Governing Body's good news should be Disfellowshipped.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

There is a book I think its the one you study to go over the baptism questions, anyway in this book they admit they have a different good news. I believe they believe that since 1914 the rules have changed and they now have a different mandate and therefore don't fall under Paul's curse. And of course as we know their good news is now "one must join the JW's or die at the big A.

• designs
    designs

CG- do you see the passage in Gal.1:9 as a precursor to later groups discouraging study and questioning (heretic hunting).

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Crazy.. Thanks for mentioning the book.. That will be very interesting to see, I'll look for it and try to quote it.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Is the Good News susceptible to "New Light"?

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/lv/r1/lp-e/0/14884

CAPABLE teachers pay attention not only to what they tell their students but also to how they tell it. As teachers of Bible truth, we do the same. We give attention to both the message we preach and the methods we use. Our message, the good news of God’s Kingdom, does not change, but we do adapt our methods. Why? To reach as many people as possible.

Hmm... Why has it changed so much then?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit