Is there a do not study list ??

by Clambake 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Clambake
    Clambake

So

When I started to date my wife, I started to study with one of the elders. I later found out he was an especially harsh elder that basically disfellowed an entire generation of young people. Joke is on him because his congregation had to merge with another one and basically has a medium age of maybe 60 years old but that is a whole different thread.

The first thing he said to me when we started to study was “do you think you have been deceived by Satan?. “ I laughed; I couldn’t believe how pompous this A-hole was. I was raised in a church and not very religious but I did know a thing or two.

As the study continued I started to explain to him how the bible was the story of god and the Jews and then then god and his church (the body of Christ). We discussed the plurality of god in the Old Testament, what the Israel of god was and what the new convanent really is? That the term Jehovah, Yahweh or LORD in the Old Testament was most likely a reference to Jesus and God together.

I explained that the bible isn’t Harry Potter and it is not some twisted complicated ever changing code being unravelled by seven magical men and how he seemed to be more interested in disproving the bible sometimes.

We went through some of his reasoning from the scriptures explanations and I explained why the verses he was quoting were either taken out of context or just completely irrelevant to what we were taking about.

Long story, She was marked. We got married. We moved away and eventually went to a new congregation and had the mark removed.

Funny thing is no one at the new congregation wanted to study with me. I approach some of the less fanatical elements ( never answers questions, maybe 50% attendance ) if they wanted to have some sincere talks about the bible and such. Even traded phone numbers and such. I thought it would be a better way of getting time in instead of door knocking, yet not a word.

I am wondering if there is a do not study list or something ?? Is the word out in the new congregation about me ??

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, when a Witness moves congregations, the originating elder body writes a letter to the receiving elder body. I bet there were some notes in there about you.

She can't have much status at the hall. Does she show any signs of getting tired of it all?

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

When I went to the 2 week 'elder indoctrination school'; 'elders school back in 1972 at Norco CA, we were told not to encourage the brothers (and sister) to refer to the older publications of ths 'society'. What Brother Russell Dixon, pur instructor, was referring to was the writings of Russell and Rutherford. Even he realized that both of those 'brothers' were full of it.

These were his 'do not study' list! lol

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I guess you're not baptized then. No JW is going to agree to "talk about the Bible" with a non-JW, especially if you're approaching people who aren't at half the meetings. That means they're not an elder or pioneer and not very zealous, so why would they want to talk about the Bible in their off-time when even getting to the meetings is an imposition for them? Keep in mind that you're dealing with the least religious religious people in the world. (That last sentence does not have any typos in it.) So the JWs can sense that you're marching to a different beat, and it scares them.

What do you think this is, Christianity? Private discussions of the Bible are discouraged among JWs. A study is of course different because it's a study of the literature with the Bible on the side, and it's conducted by an elder.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Good point Apognophos. The Witness sure to return your call is the hungry pioneer who swoops down on you at the meeting. They have a lot of hours to put in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit