Recent WatchTower article about Witch Hunting

by EverApostate 24 Replies latest jw friends

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

This is about an Article in May 2014 Awake that was published about Witch Hunting. It is a 2 page article on how evil the catholic and protestant Inquision was, how wickedly they killed the witches and so on.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102014166

The Irony is, the article never quotes Exodus 22: 18 which says” “You must not allow a sorceress to live”

I am pretty sure all the Witch Killings by Christians, was based on the above verse in the Bible.

Do you see how the Watchtower deliberately deceptively and dishonestly hides this Bible verse here, throwing all the blame on those catholic and Protestant Inquisitors, as if they did it on their own.

To a thinking person, there is nothing called a Witch. It’s all simple trickery. The people back then (Including the guy who wrote Exodus), were superstitious enough to think or duped that Witches had evil powers.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I'm pretty sure this, along with other similar passages in Leviticus, were speaking of followers of YHWH, and the rules of social responsibility within the group. This wasn't to infer that you should go around killing unbelievers who practiced sorcery/witchcraft. I don't see it as deliberately irresponsible to omit such a verse from a lesson. If anything it'd just be further fodder that the Catholics/Protestants deliberately misinterpreted the bible to wipe out a competing belief system.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The wtbts version of witches are called "apostates". If the wtbts had their way, the would surely deal with 'apostates' the same way the catholic church dealt with witches. Every religion has their way of interpreting the bible and the wtbts is a religion, even though they at one time preached proudly and loudly that "Religion is a snare and Racket!" 'O the times they are a changin'. -bob dylan circa 1965

just saying

eyeuse2badub

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

That article made me think of the "Witch-hunt" that I experienced. I applied the article to "apostasy" within the Borg. Torture is still in place in the form of shunning. The only difference is that the GB can't have you executed because the Governments do not allow it.

DD

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

wearewatchingyouman So, to whom is that Exodus 22: 18 verse applicable ? Can that be practiced today ? This verse, as I understand talks about common Withces and not about Witches in a certain group. If Catholics/Protestants deliberately misinterpreted the bible, what is the correct interpretation for this verse(atleast). Also, why didnt the WT mention about this verse and said it was misinterpreted.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I don't know why they didn't mention it. As already stated above the laws in Exodus were only applicable to the people of YHWH under the "Mosaic covenant". None of these laws/punishments are applicable to anyone in the "new covenant", or any of the "people of the nations" at any time in history. This was all "old covenant" stuff.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Kill 'em all and let god sort 'em out! Yep.

just saying

eyeuse2badub

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

"What does that ugly era teach us? One key lesson is this: When professed Christians began to substitute religious lies and superstition for the pure teachings of Jesus Christ, they opened the door to enormous evil." - Awake!, May, 2014, p. 13

It is a tragic irony that JWs can so easily see the evil in others, but are completely blind to it in themselves.

They even understand the cause of it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

wearewatchingyouman - "None of these laws/punishments are applicable to anyone in the 'new covenant', or any of the 'people of the nations' at any time in history.This was all 'old covenant' stuff."

Except, of course, the the "old covenant" stuff they like...

...it's why bigoted religious wingnuts can feel perfectly justified eating at Red Lobster, whilst waxing poetic about the "good ol' days" when gays stayed in the closet, for example.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

"... it's why bigoted religious wingnuts can feel perfectly justified eating at Red Lobster, whilst waxing poetic about the "good ol' days" when gays stayed in the closet, for example."

Yes, while shaving their side-locks and deciding which virgins they will take for themselves..

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit