question for JW's

by JohnZogby 16 Replies latest jw friends

• JohnZogby
    JohnZogby

Hello, i am new here. I have a question that hopefully some of you can help answer for me. Over the past couple years i have become very close friends with a JW. He is an awesome friend, and an awesome person. My question is, i have read and heard some contradicting statements about frienships between JW's and non-JW's. I have read on certain occasions that JW's should not be good friends with non-JW's unless they are trying to convert them. Is this true? Im sorry if i sound naive, i am young. Thank you for your help.

• TheStar
    TheStar

No problem John. Welcome to the board and yes your understanding of the matter is correct.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Unless your friend is seeking an exit from teh Watchtower, watch them closely and be on your guard. They very subtely suck young people in and before you know it, you are ensnared. To a JW, fololowing the Watchtower, elders and such is more important than friends, family or anything. And, the Watchtower teaches them to trap any and all they can, any way they can.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Welcome JZ, could you tell me more about your 'awesome' friend and this 'awesome' person? More often than not their out to win you over.

Guest 77

• cellomould
    cellomould

I always had "wordly" friends when I was growing up. I didn't start spending quality time with them until high school, unfortunately.

If your friend is an intelligent one, he will not give you grief or try to force you to convert so that he can 'have your friendship'.

It was easy for me to see that many of my schoolmates, besides being talented individuals, were better 'associates' than the JW youth.

cellomould

"You're crying 'why am I the victim?' when the culprit is YOU" Stevie Wonder

• JohnZogby
    JohnZogby

Thanks to everyone that has responded. Well, for those of you asking about more info on my friend, we are both 17 and have known eachother for the past 3 years. He has never once pressured me or confronted me about converting. He seemingly has 2 groups of friends, his JW friends, which he goes out with and hangs out with, and then his non-JW friends (me, and a couple guys from his old school) which he seems to talk to more candidly and honestly. My friend has always been honest with me, and when we first became good friends he told me that at some point he would probably have to end our friendship, but lately he says thats not gonna happen. He is also candid with me about the fact that his JW friends would not approve of his non-JW friends. From what i can tell, and from what he has told me, he is very commited to the religion, but he and his family are also very liberal in a lot of their interpretations. Thanks Again, anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

For an official Watchtower Society response to your question,
    check question 3.

http:www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/3289653.htm

• JohnZogby
    JohnZogby

i cant get that link to work, would some one mind posting the answer on here? thanks

• LB
    LB

Here ya go John...

Are close friendships tolerated with non-Witnesses?

A A person ultimately has the right to choose his friends. However, we've always encouraged members to use the Bible as a guide. Proverbs 13:20 says, ``He that is walking with wise persons will become wise. But he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly.'' Scripture such as that shows the wisdom of associating with a people who base their lives on God's standards.

So you see the watchtower discourages "worldly" friends as yourself. When my son was 17 and in highschool he was the only witness there. He made friends with a morman and they have stayed friends. They agreed to never discuss religion as they felt it could cause troubles between them. Sounds good enough doesn't it? The elders cornered my son and talked to him again and again about bad association.

He was regular in service and meeting attendance yet he didn't get privledges. He didn't care fortunatly.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• JohnZogby
    JohnZogby

thanks a lot for the info

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit