Putting on the NEW "New Personality"

by stuckinarut2 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We have often heard about the need to "put on the 'new personality'" as a JW...

BUT I have realised something in these last few years of awakening to the TTATT...I dont like what I had become as a 'good' JW!

I realised that being a 'good' JW made me very:

Critical of my fellow man,

Judgemental and suspicious of 'worldly' people...most of whom wish nothing but the best for their fellow man,

Judgemental of even 'fellow beleivers'...yes those we should be close to, as I imitated the orgs view of looking for the faults in every cong member, and their failings...

Always on edge waiting for the big A...which equals stress...

Looking at everything in the world's system as 'Bad', instead of being thankful for what I do have

etc...

Once I realised this, I was truely able to "put on a new personality"...one that is positive, and relaxed. One that is truely kind and genuine...

I'm sure there is always more to improve on, but I am on the right path finally...

Anyone else gone through this sort of thing?

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Thanks for starting this thread! I was never a JW, but can really relate to your comments, as I have seen my parents and sister's personalities change dramatically.

My dad is a salesman by trade. He loves to talk to people. About 2 years ago, he sent out an email to all 6 of his adult children, stating that "My first priority in life now, is to BE A GOOD JEHOVAH'S WITNESS. I hope you have noticed positive changes in me."

Changes I've noticed: 1. You never answer emails or phone calls. 2. You no longer acknowledge or participate in family gatherings. 3. You act like you are made out of stone, when you do show up. 4. You repeat platitudes about yourself and your beliefs, when talking to me and other family members... most notably, "They are smarter than me!" 5. You are embarrassed to be bold about your religion, which really sends the message that you are more concerned about avoiding your own family, so you can go out and knock on the doors to try to "save" strangers.

My mom used to be much funnier, and loved to have fun. She strains to tell a joke now, and since she doesn't have any good material now, her jokes fall flat most of the time, and her frustration is very evident (at least to me). She is ashamed that some of her coworkers do not know she is a JW, and made the statement last week, "Everyone should know you are a JW." My mom, for as long as I can remember growing up, always had 1 or 2 girlfriends or best friends that she would talk to and have fun with. She used to go on little weekend trips, or have weekly chin-wags to let off steam. There was some pretty heavy mischief going on at times, but she always valued her friendships. On her recent visit, I asked her who she "hangs out" with now. She doesn't have anyone now! How sad... all those people at the Kingdom Hall, who love you so much? I thought the people in Jehovah's Org were the happiest people on earth...

My sister has never had a backbone, and pretty much went from leaving home at 18, to getting married at 20 (pregnant). Her husband has always controlled her, so I'm not sure she has had the chance to really develop her own natural personality. She was baptized into the JW's about 4 years ago, and she has become completely detached from family, and really just seems unhappy. She brings a dark cloud with her, even when she is trying to put on her fake smile for us. It is very sad. If she ever were to leave the organization, she would have some real difficulty adjusting.

My elderette told me a story on our first bible study appointment. Her daughter works for a minor city in Michigan. It started out as her giving me an update on her children, but she actually made the statement that her daughter had to have her "work personality" and her "Kingdom Hall personality." I found that interesting, but didn't acknowlege it at the time. There are times when everyone has to adapt to their situation.

---------------

The fact that the JW's are being warned to put absolutely everything in their life in 2nd place, in order to work for the fulfillment of the Kingdom, is not normal human behavior. Jesus instructed us to LOVE. Love God above all others, AND Love your neighbor as yourself. They don't love their own families, they don't love other JW's, and they definitely don't love their neighbors.

All they can do is remind each other to WORK harder and persevere past all the "persecution" they face. Remind each other that you are better than everyone else, and that someday soon you will be rewarded with Jehovah's revenge on all those around you, who just didn't make the grade.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Stuck, I look back on who I became as a jw pioneer and it makes me sick. I am embarrassed to have labeled and avoided good people. I am embarrassed that I ever tried to start studies in the crazy jw books. Mostly i am sad that I raised my kids in the cult.

But...I am much nicer now! So happy to be away from the nonsense. Gets better every day!

(((hugs)))

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The "new personality" per JW dogma is to give up everything, to a certain degree, for the Collective. Do you have a dream? Forget about it. Do you have a talent or passion? Squelch it before your pride consumes you as it did King Saul. Do have questions about life and what is out there? Cast them from your mind. You may become like Eve. Would you like to make more money? Shame on you for being materialistic.

As WT Wizard often says, Jwism is Communism. You are an expendable locust/pawn and your should ONLY aspire to achieve greatness within the parameters of the Collective. That means being a "lesser one", which means being ever more submissive to a corporation.

SCREW THAT.

DD

• clarity
    clarity

Ditto ......screw that!

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

We have a new saying in our house - "If you're a Jehovah's Witness, you can't be a Christian".

When I was examining the religion I was raised in, a realization came over me - Jehovah's Witnesses ignore the basic tenets that the 1st century Christians followed : sincere love and compassion for others, having only TWO laws and accepting Christ as one's savior (not the Watchtower organization or the Governing Body).

Jehovah's Witnesses behave like the individuals that Jesus faulted - using the congregation as a money generator, building 'treasures' on earth, being hypocritical in professed beliefs/everyday actions, acting as judges of other humans, looking for faults in other humans, an outward display of piety, praying for the distruction of one's 'enemies', burdening the 'flock' with regulations and rules, adding to the scriptures, etc.

ginger

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I wasn't stressed by the impending Armageddon. What stressed me was having to 'perform' on the Org's constant hamster wheel of expectations to do things that weren't 'me' and block off things that I would have liked to have done ('theocratic' time constraints or disapproved of or viewed as frivolous - after all, there's eternity to do that). It was stressful being among warped ideas and attitudes, even while still mentally in the JW paradigm.

I didn't like being 'on the clock' all the time, seeing 'worldly' people as either prospective converts (on the lookout for opportunities to make my sales pitch but usually letting those opportunities pass, then feeling guilty) or as people to keep at arm's length.

The perpetual state of 'alert' and judgmentalism that the Org keeps whipping up does nothing for anybody's long-term mental health.

Over the years, as I've let go, it's meant that I feel like I'm actually living life now rather than treading water till the New World. I'm generally more confident and relaxed (I still have a long way to go, however, but that's due to going the fade route) and I'm increasingly seeing people as fellows of my community instead of 'outsiders' to be wary of or to recruit.

I bumped into a JW acquaintance recently who complimented me on how well I looked and asked if we were still on 'sabbatical.' I said, "Yes ... and we're happier for it ... as strange as that sounds." I could see that it didn't compute.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Stuck,

Great reflection. As a raised-in, I never knew what my "original personality" was (or did it even really develop?), and so when I left the JWs in my late-20s I was very confused about where they ended and I began. How do you know who you ARE when you don't know anything else except what you've been programmed with during your formative years in the JW world?

Along with some of the things you've mentioned, I suspect some of the unwanted traits that I've been afflicted with (and ernestly working through and healing from) have been greatly influenced/caused by growing up in the JW culture:

• social phobia
    • perfectionism
    • neuroticism
    • depression
    • irrational fear
    • not-good-enough-ism
    • fatalism
    • codependant

A far cry from the fruitage of the spirit.

Phae

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

This is what I need to study tootry to understand my born in - then decades long inactive, now trying to be baptised husband

Along with some of the things you've mentioned, I suspect some of the unwanted traits that I've been afflicted with (and ernestly working through and healing from) have been greatly influenced/caused by growing up in the JW culture:

• social phobia
    • perfectionism
    • neuroticism
    • depression
    • irrational fear
    • not-good-enough-ism
    • fatalism
    • codependant

A far cry from the fruitage of the spirit.

Phae

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Faithful Witness you have nailed it on what happens. I saw this with my parents as a child. It lead to a very lonely life. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit