What do you do when your job makes you wanna puke your face off?

by Julia Orwell 35 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I saw your art, very, very nice. I would love to get a portrait of my cat Lizzie. She is a tortiseshell dilute (faded color) with white, and she has a split face, half is grey, the other half is orange tabby. Sent me a PM with your rates.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

The aboriginal style art is amazing and I think it is very special.

When you start hating wht you do, stop doing it. Especially when it is teaching. Your students don't deserve that teacher. And not flattering you, your artwork looks like you love it. Why are you hurting your soul and your students by tutoring? You all deserve better. I remember the years I had teachers who hated their jobs (1st grade, 5th grade and quite a few in jr. high) Those are not happy years in my memory.

• Bells
    Bells

Julia,

I know EXACTLY how you feel. 6 or so years ago, I would come home every day in tears, I just hated my job so much! I didn't think I had any choice though - we had a mortgage, and anyway - I didn't know what else I wanted to do, a physical disability prevents me from just going and getting a physical job like waitressing, but I felt like my sould was being sucked dry in the job I was in.

One day, I came home for lunch - in tears again, and my husband was home. He just said 'enough is enough' - we will figure it out, just quit - today! So I did, I gave notice - everyone thought I was insane because I didn't have another job to go to. For the next year or 2, we tightened our belts a bit, and I did work that I actually enjoyed - even though I wasn't making much money. I worked with a photographer, did some volunteer work at the local animal shelter and that sort of thing. I made just enough to pay the mortgage each month and it was honestly the best thing I could have done. After a year or so, I was in a much better position mentally and was then able to go and get myself another full time job.

It's the worst being in a job that you hate and I feel for you:(

I like your drawings of pets though - could you please message me with your email address and I can email you some photos of my pets that I'd be interested in getting a quote for you to draw..??

Bells

• kaik
    kaik

Good for you Bells. When I moved, I had accepted good job with excellent salary; but horrible, sadistic, semi-literate boss who could not understand why he cannot divide by zero and smashed calculator to mean team that bullied anyone who was too young or too old. I was miserable. I find a job that payed less and I quit, walked away whistling and smiling. Years later, the company closed office and when I drive by, I see for SALE sign. I continue smiling.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Julia, go with your passion. You have the talent and you like it. Maybe you were never really cut out to be a teacher (or involved in education system) to begin with. I had a friend who left teaching english in public schools (in Poland) because of the lack of interest on student's part and went to strictly private lessons. She is very happy now. All her students are there, because they want to be. Probably once, long ago teaching was really rewarding. I've done a lot of professional training and it can be rewarding - just depends on the audience.

But back to the art. Don't give up on that. Part of the problem with being a JW is that all of our passions and interests were forced to the back burner to put kingdom interests first. You would have time for that later. Right... We sacrificed careers and passions for the borg. What a shame. You are still young, so you have time to pursue 'your' interests. It sounds like your husband is supportive, and if you are willing to do seasonal work to help out, go for it.

Nice work on your FB page. Don't give up.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

If I had have developed my art like my non-Jw dad kept telling me too...ah, life's too short for regrets.

I've just landed a job in entertainment and I'm very happy with that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit