GB started when???

by johnamos 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• johnamos
    johnamos

Does anybody know when the WTS started having a governing body??? What year???

• blondie
    blondie

The Capital G, Capital B, governing body? 1971

• steve2
    steve2

I think it was around the time of the introduction of the congregational "elder" arrangement which would be early 1970s.

• johnamos
    johnamos

Blondie,

All I can say is WOW. :) It is unbelievable that you replied to my post stating it the way you did about having a capital G and B. LOL!!! The whole reason I asked in the first place is because on anther post the following was posted:

“To hold to the headship of Christ, it is therefore necessary to obey the organization that he is personally directing. Doing what the organization says is to do what he says. Resisting the organization is to resist him.”

Well I looked up that WT and read more and I saw the following:

“The whole body under the direction of the head moves and acts as a beautifully co-ordinated unit, perfectly organized. In the same way Christ, the Head, employs the organization that is his body to carry out his assigned work. His orders reach the whole of the organization on earth through the governing body, and on down through the Branches to the congregations.—1 Cor. 12:12-18; Matt. 24:45-47.”

Two things caught my attention:

1. This WT was written in 59 and I had in the back of my mind that there wasn’t a GB until sometime in the 70’s.

2. I noticed that “governing body” was written with a lower case g and b.

Until I read this WT I had never seen lower case g’s and b’s unless they were referring to the so-called first century “governing body”. When they refer to themselves it is always with capital G’s and B’s… i.e.

10-1-02 WT- In the first century, when the issue of circumcision arose in 49 C.E., the governing body of that early slave class prayerfully considered the matter and came to a Scriptural conclusion. When they announced their decision by letter, the congregations obeyed the direction given and enjoyed God’s rich blessing. (Acts 15:6-15, 22-29; 16:4, 5) Likewise in modern times, the faithful slave through its Governing Body has clarified such important issues as Christian neutrality, the sanctity of blood, and the use of drugs and tobacco.

10-15-02 WT- After his third missionary tour, Paul gave a report to the first-century governing body on the conversion of the nations. At that time, thousands of Christian Jews were “all zealous for the Law.” (Acts 21:20) This was years after the governing body had ruled that the Gentile Christians did not have to be circumcised. Issues related to observing the Law had been causing strife in the congregation.

11-1-02 WT- During the past year, many among God’s people have given such support, and the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses would like to use this opportunity to express their deep gratitude to all whose heart impelled them to share in this voluntary giving

1-15-01 WT- In the first century, a group of older men in Jerusalem made up a governing body that had oversight of the congregations and of the Kingdom-preaching activity in general. The same pattern is followed within Jehovah’s organization today. Kingdom interests on the earth have been entrusted to “the faithful and discreet slave,” which is represented by the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. (Matthew 24:45-47) The Governing Body is primarily concerned with providing spiritual instruction and direction for the Christian congregation.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

GB came into existence in 1971.

Powers handed over from the President in 1976.

It's interesting to think how this arrangement undermines last years claim, that the FDS (aka the GB) has been in existence since 1919...

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Hello ? The phrase or term "Governing Body" is nowhere to be found

in the Bible anywhere. If you read Acts 15 ,as written, without the WT

inserting its bizzare interpretation of these events, you will see how this was

a general debate involving the whole congregation, including believing Pharisees

who were still Pharisees. The point about going to Jersusalem is about the fact there

were living Apostles, James, and Peter namely.

Peter makes the case he was sent to the Gentiles by God,

James says everyone is equal.

Act 15 is not about 'centralized authority' or any 'governing body'

(as the WT presents this scripture), its about individual freedoms

and the open discussion within the whole church.

This is about whether Gentiles should be

circumcised according to the Law of Moses. Acts 15:

4 When they came to Jerusalem, they were welcomed by the church

and the apostles and the elders, and they declared all that God had done with them.

5 But some believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees rose up and said,

“It is necessary to circumcise them and to order them to keep the law of Moses.”

11 But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will.”

12 And all the assembly fell silent, and they listened to Barnabas and Paul

as they related what signs and wonders God had done through them among the Gentiles.

13 After they finished speaking, James replied, “Brothers, listen to me.

22 Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church,

to choose men from among them and send them to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas.

Then they wrote a short one paragraph letter . But ask yourself, if the model of the

WT Governing Body was taken from this scripture, there is no valid comparison,

if such a goverening body existed to 'dispense spiritual food' as the GB claims is its

position; then where are any other letters written by this body ? That was the only

letter they ever wrote. Because there was no governing body in Jerusalem,

there were Apostles and a church, a mixed group of people having a debate.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

December 15, 1971 WT is the first to use upper case "Governing Body" instead of "governing body." (our Bethel elder CoBE made this a trivia question a few months ago)

• steve2
    steve2

I like that a bunch of old white men not only appointed themselves as a " governing body" as early as the 1950s but also then saw fit to promote themselves as "the Governing Body" in 1971. Such confidence, such narcissistic vision, such throat-choking hubris. Welcome to the not-humble world of JWs. A mere stones throw from the hubristic churches of Christendom.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The adoration of the GB is still increasing; any prayer you hear at a kingdom hall mentions the GB.

They keep moving themselves further down the cult continuum; they are moving to a remote area, making donations less voluntary and are elevating the status of the men at the top of the organization.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

And all based upon cliams that do not stand scrutiny, and which they can support in no way with satisfactory proof.

Self-appointed shysters is all they are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit