Bible Atrocities

by Trapped in JW land 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Man
    Black Man

bookmarked

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

I agree...some of the stories in the bible are horrendously appalling. Since we have begun reading the bible again from Genesis and my mind is now clearly seeing ttatt, it just bothers me. And we have family study led by my husband 3 days a week - one of those is for the bible reading, which we read with our 10 year old son. I have told my husband that I dont think the content is okay for a child...his response "Its the bible!"

I am not going to win that argument yet...but I am working on it.

Also, thanks for sharing the Old Testament - Lewis Black Heaven. That was awesome.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Cold steel:

You, the Bible and many religious leaders are pathetic.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Just ignore the nasty stuff in the Old Testament, and focus on the warm and fuzzy stuff about Jesus.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Lets not forget the Mideonites were not the only ones slaughtered, and imagine being a soldier in the army having to kill children and woman when jah could of easily had an angel kill them all while they were a sleep.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The scripture is mistranslated and it was not little children who mocked Elisha, but mature teenagers.

So it's bad to kill children, but OK for "mature teenagers" to be slaughtered for making fun of a person? First of all the term "mature teenagers" is an oxymoron. In spite of the fact that your religion calls teenagers "elders", the fact is the brain of an adolescent boy is not fully developed. The areas that control judgement are just not the same as an adult. Would you feel it necessary to murder your child because he was mouthing off to you? You excuse God for it, shame on you.

As for the Midianites that Moses ordered slain, by the Lord's command, note that he spared only virgins and that he killed the boys. Why would God do this? Because the Midianites were a horribly wicked culture with sexual depravity intertwined with their religious worship. Boys were drawn into it at an early age and were devoted to it for a number of reasons. They certainly would not constrain themselves, but introduce these pagan rites to the Israelites. The same for the women who had engaged in these ritualistic orgies. Only virgins

Ok, so the Middianites were supposedly wicked. Well, who knows, since that was being determined by an opposing nation. It's common when at war to demonized the opposing force to make it easier to kill them. Look what people said about the Japanese people during World War II. So even if some had orgies, it's a stretch to say that it deserves a death sentence, the only countries that do that currently are certain Muslim countries where Sharia laws are in force, we generally consider murder for kinky sex backwards, at least in more rational countries.

What is interesting is they didn't stop to to see who had actually had orgies, any man and any woman who had ever had sex was slaughtered, I am assuming that included the elderly. No effort was made to find out what was guilty and who was innocent, so of course innocent people were slaughtered. And what happened to the virgins? They were given to the Israelites, to do what they wanted with them. I doubt they had a choice, it's usually called rape when that happens. Of course that is so much more moral than kinky sex, right?

So your God allows the murder of innocent people, and allows rape, as long as it's his people doing the raping. I am sorry, but that is just plain wrong.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

What was their method of determining if a girl was a virgin?

Did the hairy armed Israelites have to man handle the young girls?

Dreadful experience for the poor girls.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Cold Steel. Even Hitler Provided explanation for his atrocities, just like you did.

• steve2
    steve2

The Bible requires skillful interpretation: It simultaneously condemns evil in others and relishes in its own.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The Bible should also come with a rating, by rating guidelines it's probably no less than X.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit