"The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth"

by suavojr 16 Replies latest jw friends

• suavojr
    suavojr

As current Witnesses, ex-JW's, believers, non believers. The topic of what truth is, has been the dominating thought and motivation to many of us here.

So, WHAT IS TRUTH?

A question that has lingered since the dawn of our consciousness and it will stay as long as the human race is around.

I remember a short story of a man who visited a store where he could buy any type of truths.

The seller asked him, what kind of truth did he want?

The buyer asked with a confused look, how can you ask me what kind of truth do I want? I WANT NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH! he exclaimed. How can you say you have different truths?

The seller explained that many people like to hold on to half truths, truths that make you feel happy, truths that can comfort you, but the REAL TRUTH nobody wanted it.
    Because the TRUTH is lonely, hard, difficult to accept, and tasteless. It truly does not discriminate. Do you still want it? He asked...

The buyer then thought for a moment... and then simply opted for half the truth, a truth that will not shatter his hopes and dreams completely.

So do you think is worth it to break away from your family when you stop believing in God, the WT or any other cult mentality? Don't forget that "the truth, and nothing but the truth" it is not comforting, nice or loving.

The truth about life is harsh but liberating. It is heart wrenching, but rewarding. It will cause you to lose it all, but gain everything.

What version of the truth will you select?

Is it science?
    Is it religion?
    Is it family?
    Is it prestige and power?

It is all on you...

• suavojr
    suavojr

I select the harsh truth of life! Even if it means losing everything I hold dearly.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread!

I'm going to print this out and use it when chatting with others....(or just leave copies around the hall! Edited to have only the story you have written of course...)

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

People that are absolutely honest at all times are hard to live with, sometimes you don't want to be told your bum looks big in those jeans.

On the other hand if you wanted motivation to lose weight you might appreciate the honesty.

Reality is'nt the baddie it's not dealing with it that is.

Having said that though, life is all about weighing up current belief against available facts, and modifying your belief accordingly.

Not everyone has the courage for that, but if you trust the process it will "set you free".

• designs
    designs

One ancient Rabbi, possibly Samuel bar Abba, was to have said: 'If a person tells God one honest thing in his entire life he is righteous'.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Along w the store selling truths of various kinds, it is based on the assumption that absolute truth is available in that store. Absolute truth is not available, anywhere. That excludes the scientists' laboratory, also. Absolute truth is not found there, either. Ntl, it is a good illustration.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Scientists have some truths, are on the path of truth(s); but have not arrived at absolute truth.

S

• Divergent
    Divergent

The dentist pulled out the tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth ;)

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Did he mention "current Truth".

I think that has something to do with New Light.

Doc

• belbab
    belbab

"The truth is a pathless land, "

Jiddu Krishnamerti

belbab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit