Suffering and Universal Sovereignty

by Trapped in JW land 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Laika
    Laika

Ugh... my sister's been trying to get me to go to the special talk tomorrow, I gave in on the memorial, no way am I sitting through another meeting that's twice as long. She said I was 'annoying' for persistently saying 'no'. Whatever.

The universal sovereignty issue is impossible to reconcile with Romans 8, for starters.

• Trapped in JW land
    Trapped in JW land

I'm actually in a foreign language congregation, and we have our meetings on Saturday

• Trapped in JW land
    Trapped in JW land

That's why I already heard it, stuck

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

A response could be, against the idea of human habitation of the other planets, that if such a thing was intended by God, why then did he create the laws of physics to make such a thing so insurmountable? Why did he limit the top possible speed of travel to be so inadequate for travel throughout the universe? Why are the stars created to only have a finite life span? And so on!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Yeah they pull that out of the book of Job but really the book of Job is more about man not knowing anything compared to god.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Another one that came to mind is that the average distance between all planets in the universe is increasing with the expansion of the universe, of which the speed is also increasing. If they believe God does everything for a reason then the message would seem to be clear that he doesn’t want humans to populate other planets. Of course this doesn’t affect local clusters but the finite life span of stars would still apply.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So, God allows suffering because of the 'universal sovereignty' issue???

Yer right WT...

If we are made in Gods image, and God is loving, and we dont like violence.....then how can he allow suffering for so long just cos of an argument in heaven??

Sounds like we humans are just insignificant pawns that can be used / abused however he sees fit?!

Loving...my ass....

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Seems to me that the reason for suffering must be linked with good not being able to exist without bad, and purpose without loss.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I don’t buy into the idea that the problem of evil dictates that God cannot exist

It doesn't mean he can't exist, it just makes him seem like a sadistic monster. Hardly anyone you could love as a father.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Well one couldn’t love without being able to hate anyway, just like good and bad being linked things. However it doesn’t mean he can exist and it doesn’t mean he can’t. It has no bearing on the issue of God or his existence because to say evil makes God seem like a sadistic monster also must mean that the good in the universe makes him out to be the complete opposite of a sadistic monster. If one combines a sadistic monster being with a compassionate saint being, the argument loses validity to the extent that no inference can be drawn about God or his existence or lack thereof.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit