what to do when you have a crazy friend?

by losingit 30 Replies latest jw friends

• losingit
    losingit

It's hard for me to start this topic bc I feel like I'm being judgmental, a quality I don't like in others and one I try to stay away from as much as possible. I really do try to be an understanding, caring person. I essentially believe that all people are good and I am shocked to my core when I am betrayed. It is always unexpected even when I have a clue as to what's going on.

Having said that.... the path out of jw-dom, in terms of making friends outside of Kingdomville, has been alright. I've honestly been too busy with my girls, with establishing my career and my life, to really worry about making friends. Even though that's the case, I've managed to make 2-- a really lovely Japanese lady and another woman that is a mom from my daughters' former preschool. My concerns are about the second friend...

Hannah is just too much. (I've been friends with her for about 5 months now). She was in an abusive relationship for a very long time up until very recently, from which she had 2 sons (one is in preschool, the other in early elementary.) This man (let's call him "Matt) one day pulled a gun out on her, and she immediately sought shelter with friends in the area, staying an entire summer separated from him. She eventually moved back with Matt to a city far-removed from her supportive friends. He sold her car and continued his abusive, alchoholic ways in private and in front of their children. Matt eventually kicked out her out (which I considered to be a blessing, honestly) and she moved to her parents' house. Despite his abusive nature, Matt allows Hannah to visit the children and spend the weekends at their old home to be with the kids. He's bought her clothes for job interviews, and takes them all out to eat as a family when she's there with them. He's bad, yes, but he's trying to be good. That's how I see it.

I wish that was the end of the story, bc then I could be fully supportive of her without my concience tugging at me.

Hannah also got involved a year ago with a married man (Ted)-- someone she's known since she was 15. Normally, I don't judge that. Affairs happen for all sorts of reasons, and I understand that. Hannah and Ted meet up at restaurants, spend the night together at nearby hotels. Fine. Whatever. But usually he stands her up often, or makes her wait 2-3 hours at a restaurant until he shows up. He's told her since day one that he was leaving his wife, but instead in that year that they have been seeing each other Ted got his wife pregnant with their first-born daughter, renovated the bathroom with his wife, and goes to events with her. Clearly, he's with his wife and has no plans on leaving her. Of course, my friend Hannah is just so worked up over what's happening-- crying, saying she can't handle being in second place, one night she even said that she wanted to kill herself! I've given her tons of advice, even scolded her and got mad at her, but it makes no difference. Hannah continues to see Ted and believes that she is the love of his life.

I get tired of the drama, but I can handle it because I see that she is troubled, needs help getting on POSITIVE footing, and so I think maybe I can provide the type of insight and encouragement she needs to move forward from both her abusive relationship with the father of her children and from her relationship with Ted. Only thing is, I feel like Hannah really pushed it yesterday....

She visited Ted's wife and baby at Ted's home. I told her it was CRAZY!!!! She did it anyway. Hannah spent 3 hours with this woman that suspects absolutely NOTHING. Ted's wife was thrilled to meet her. Hannah played with the baby, and Ted's wife put a video of Hannah with the baby on her instagram page. Ted's wife gave her a tour of the house, chatted up a storm, and was "NICE... Like VERY VERY VERY NICE." (capitalization is Hannah's own).

I've got to be honest here-- back in my jw days, I would've backed out from a friendship with Hannah because she has such a difficult time creating positive movement in her life. She has interviews, and cancels them. The exit door is right in front of her, but she refuses to walk through it. It's frustrating to be friends with someone that creates their own stagnation.

But visiting Ted's wife, it's just too much for me!!! I feel that continuing to be her friend is condoning her behavior. Back in my jw days, this would not be a debate-- this woman would be out of my life!! I understand now that life is more complex than that black-and-white thinking. I spend so much time thinking about Hannah and her situation, trying to provide positive support... After finding out last night that she in fact did visit Ted's wife, I really just want to cut her off. Be done. The drama is too much. She took it too far.

I don't know. I hate being judgmental. But this move, for which she said she feels no moral sense of wrongdoing and gave her an adrenaline rush, is just too much. I feel conflicted. I want to be her friend. But I don't want to be friends with someone that goes that far.

Thoughts?

• ingimar
    ingimar

I doubt that Ted will be too pleased with his mistress visiting his wife. Hannah sounds like a crazy possibly dangerous woman. Stay away from her! Someone needs to inform Ted's wife.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Just don't let Hannah near any pet rabbits.

Seriously, she sounds unstable. I mean clinically so. She needs psychiatric help and soon before she does something stupid, like abducting the baby.

Has she any family or other friends you could talk to about her behaviour?? Do you know her doctor, maybe?

She is on a bad road, don't let her go any further down it.

You did the right thing posting here.

Hope it will work out okay.

• talesin
    talesin

People who are in trouble, with constant drama, need professional help. It will always be this way until that happens. You don't need that in your life, hey? It's something to watch out for when first getting to know someone. Often the brightest and most interesting people, will have these types of issues, and its good to realize you can't save them. One good, stable friend is better than three crazy-as-a-loon ones. :)

• losingit
    losingit

Her mother, according to Hannah, is an abusive alcoholic drug addict. She gets berated a lot by her dad. Her aunt lives in California. Although she is staying at her parents' house, they make it very clear that they want her out ASAP. She really doesn't have many healthy relationships in her life.

Talking to her does no good-- she simply does not reason. And, according to her, Ted told her it was ok to go to his house bc he wanted her to visit the baby. Crazy!!!

Shesays she's on anti-depressants, but who knows. I'm tempted to contact the wife to end the craziness but who am i to get involved ? It feels so volatile. Idk what the right thing to do is.

• losingit
    losingit

LOL Talesin--I'd like some peace in my life, not drama! A nice calm.friend that I can have tea with,someone i can learn from, would be nice.

• Mikado
    Mikado

What would be your motivation of contacting this poor wife? destroy her life? She's the only victim in all of this...

I would distance myself as much as possible and as kindly as possible from her, she is potentially very dangerous...

I would tend to disbelieve anything she told me..

Her life choices are her own business, but basicly she sounds that she may never be able to stand on her own two feet,and may go from one unsafe and inappropriate relationship to another...

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

This will only get worse. She hasn't taken any of your advice. She won't. Backing out of this relationship is the only way to go. Tell her the truth, that she's on a dead end road and she needs to get some professional help because you can't help her. I would tell her this asap, before her parents kick her out and she is knocking on your door.

• losingit
    losingit

Well, she has proven herself to be a liar time and time again. I asked her earlier today what Ted thought of her visit and she said she didn't care about what he thought so she didn't ask. She also said she didn't care what his wife thought of her either. She said, "I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about me." Frustrating.

Everyone here is right on the money. I just wanted to hear someone say the obvious. I have to cut her off.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Sometimes you have to cut ties so that you survive. It has happened to me. People at the bottom want to pull me down. Such people are not friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit