WHO..decided the Bible canon?

by gumby 65 Replies latest jw friends

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

if u were god, and wanting to tell your followers what to do, would you issue an instruction book in the bible format?

if you wanted to tell the israelites how to live - would you tell moses to write most of the shit he wrote ???

• gumby
    gumby

So from what a lot of the comments have said so far is this:

Stories in the Old Testement were made up or at least much of what is in it is fabricated stories .......LIES; eg. THE NEPHILIM, SAMSON, NOAH, THE FLOOD, etc.

The New Testement, according to some, also has some truths...but has....the trumphed up story of Jesus the God-Man, who in reality was a normal fleshly self proclaimed prophet, or he NEVER EXISTED.

Did all these writers Lie, just to believe in something, if there were really this many writers? Or...Did men write their own books of what they wanted people to believe, and claimed these were the writings of earlier eye witnesses ...and they just copied them?

The last thing I just said is what I could use some help with.

Is there a way of KNOWING WHO'S STORY IS TRUTH?

Will personal research bring us to a conclusion we can feel comfortable with, or will we wonder all the time........"what if I'm wrong"?

I wish the hell I knew cuz it's really bugg'in me!

• seedy3
    seedy3

In my studies, what I have learned is that the Bible as we know it today was started to be put together shortly after the Council of Nicea, the main charicter in the assembly of the books was a bishop named Irenious. It was not fully assembled as one book until somewhere in the 400's ad. At that time it contained some of the books that are now considered gnostic, these were dropped somewhere areound the 1400's. The catholic bible still contains books that the protestant bible does not.

Now an interesting note is that Irenious was a Trinitarian, and the person that was called the Church Historian, Eusebius, was an Arian. Consitintine was actually nutral in the matter of the trinity, but was influenced greatly by Eusebius. Constintine wanted to settle the infighting in the new belief and so called the council of Nicea. He at this time became under the influence of Irenious and accepted the trinity, and as well Eusebius accepted the trintiy, although he was said to be one of the last to accept it. Irenious did most of the work on assembling the Bible, Now he as stated before was a trinitarian. The interestnig part is that the JW's and a few other sects of christainity try and use a book that was assembled (and some possibly written) by a trintarian to show that the trinity is not true.

Seedy

• barry
    barry

Seedy,
    The first list of the books of the bible that we have now was made by St Athaniasiaus in 369ad. St Athaniasiaus saw the Arian doctrine as a heracy that would destroy christianity and he fought against it with all is might. There are 3 great creeds used in the churches and the creed of Athaniasiaus is still used occasionally it has been dropped from some churches but talks about the trinity and the incarnation.

barry

• barry
    barry

The canon was confirmed by pope damasis in 372 ad at the second ecumenical council.
    Barry

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

That is one helluva question.. LOL Not sure anyone could ever answer that one.

-Rick

• Satanus
    Satanus

The wt attempts, without any proof, to float the concept that the canon was closed after john wrote his gospel and his drug trip. And so, whatever happened with regard to the nt canon during apastolic times, it all passed into the hands of the catholic church, and remained there for over a thousand yrs. The conclusion is that the christianity we know today, including protestantism, was largely created, preserved and conveyed to the modern world by the roman empire. It follows then, that all who left the catholic (universal) church were apostates.

William penn

Great synopsis.

SS

• gumby
    gumby

Either I am braindead...(and that's a real possibility) or nobody has anwered one thing...............

These books of the bible that were put together by the church.....................WHO wrote the books????????????

Were they REALLY Followers of Jesus who wrote them?
    Where did the church get these copies from the original writers?

William Pennwell's post contained this quote: "The New Testament as a collection of texts is a product of the second century, as the church figured out which books are sacred, which books are authoritative and which ones are not"

So this is saying....there REALLY were books written by followers of Jesus that were written BEFORE 100 AD and "John's" was the last book?

There were many writers who wrote of Jesus yet only SOME of these writings were decided to be included in the Bible..... right?

In view of this.....if there were many writers who wrote about Jesus......dosen't this confirm he TRUELY existed???....or

DID ALL THESE WRITERS LIE
    ABOUT SUCH A MAN?

I'm sorry if I'm not making my point clear but I hope this makes my original post more clear.

• gumby
    gumby

I want to thank all who helped out with the answer to this question.
    I know it takes some work for many of these posts and I appreciate it.
    Hopefully someone can direct me with my post above this one.

• gumby
    gumby

Sorry to bring this to the top again folks butt.........nobody answered my last questions in my above post. Any takers?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit