Give me some examples of 'good lawyers'.

by LogCon 20 Replies latest social humour

• LogCon
    LogCon

For some strange reason when I previously asked to give me examples of how evil attorneys are and then reworded to give me examples of evil lawyers, many misinterpreted that I was labeling all lawyers as evil. NO, NO, NO!!! I simply asked a question. I did not state or imply anything.

Now, without labeling all lawyers as good, what examples do you have of 'good lawyers'?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Well, the lawyers who work for the prosecution side of it are usually working for very little (compared to lawyers who are in the private sector), they are doing their best to make sure criminals are punished for their crimes. Even the public defenders serve a useful function, as our legal system has to make sure every one has legal representation. They too make less than in the private sector. Without these people we would not have a criminal justice system.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

When I was getting a divorce from my ex-wife, my lawyer's advice was "Give, Give, Give [possessions that were accumulated during marriage] until it hurts." It was good advice because by giving my ex-wife any possession that she wanted and we accumulated together she was more agreeable to not ask for allimony or drag out the divorce. My lawyer's objective was to help me cut financial obligations and emotional ties as soon as possible, get rid of things that might remind me of my ex-wife, defuse emotional triggars, and reduce legal fees.

It was strange how the strategy worked. Within a year of the divorce being final, my exwife even gave me somethings that she wanted while we were seperating.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• talesin
    talesin

I spoke on the other thread of a few 'good' lawyers I have known One of them is a close friend. He thought he could struggle through after law school, and make enough money by being a sole practioner and helping people. Well, 5 years later, he had to take a position as a prosecutor in order to pay off his student loans (costs a LOT of moolah to be a lawyer). He has stayed with the Crown, and is able to do some good deeds in that job, but continues his work as an activist in what spare time he has, and is also a loving husband and father. :))

The lawyer I had for my car accident case, was one of the best in town. Since I was receiving a small settlement, he only took 15% instead of the usual 30, which barely covered his costs. He said it was no biggie, he could make lots of money offf other settlements .... :))

And one of the public figures I have admired all my life, is this guy! Here's Wiki's summary ............ RIP William Kunstler, we lost a great man when you died.

William Moses Kunstler (July 7, 1919 – September 4, 1995) was an American self-described "radical lawyer" and civil rights activist, known for his violent clients. [1] Kunstler was a board member of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the co-founder of the Law Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR), the "leading gathering place for radical lawyers in the country". [2]

Kunstler's defense of the "Chicago Seven" from 1969–1970 led The New York Times to label him "the country's most controversial and, perhaps, its best-known lawyer ..." [2] Kunstler is also well known for defending members of the Catonsville Nine, Black Panther Party, Weather Underground Organization, the Attica Prison rioters, and the American Indian Movement. [2] He also won a de facto segregation case regarding the District of Columbia's public schools and "disinterred, singlehandedly" the concept of federal removal jurisdiction in the 1960s. [2] Kunstler refused to defend right-wing groups such as the Minutemen, on the grounds that: "I only defend those whose goals I share. I'm not a lawyer for hire. I only defend those I love." [2]

He was a polarizing figure; many on the right wished to see him disbarred, while many on the left admired him as a "symbol of a certain kind of radical lawyer." [2] Even some other civil rights lawyers regarded Kunstler as a "publicity hound and a hit-and-run lawyer" who "brings cases on Page 1 and wins them on Page 68." [2] Legal writer Sidney Zion quipped that Kunstler was "one of the few lawyers in town who knows how to talk to the press. His stories always check out and he's not afraid to talk to you, and he's got credibility—although you've got to ask sometimes, 'Bill, is it really true?'" [2]

tal

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

My step brother is a lawyer, so I guess I would have to give him the benefit of the doubt and class him in the "good" category (family loyalty and all that!)

Bill.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I was represented fairly and we settled on the best possible outcome. I was informed of the consequences of my decision. I received a vigorous defence.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Whether I agree with a lawyers personal belief system, or political leaning, I admire one that will only defend those he/she agrees with and believes in. That way he/she is honest, removing all doubt that he may not have given his/her all.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

What do you call 99 lawyers up to their necks in quicksand?

A good start.

Doc

• zebagain
    zebagain

A deaf mute guy was working for the mob he had been squirreling away money and the don caught up with him. He got the mobs lawyer who could sign language to demand, "Wheres the money!" and the don got out his gun.

The deaf and mute guy signed back "its in the kitchen behind a false panel."

"Well" said the don to the lawyer,"What did he say"

"Go the hell, you get nothing".

Lawyers dont you love 'em.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

A lawyer was surfing when a pack of sharks appeared next to him but the lawyer seemed unperturbed and after checking him out the sharks left him alone and swam off. When he got back to the shore, other surfers who had watched from the beach asked him why the sharks didn't attack him. The lawyer replied "Professional courtesy."

I am a lawyer who investigates and takes enforcement action against companies or individuals who engage in conduct that misleads investors or undermines the integrity of financial markets. This serves the function of protecting investors and increasing confidence in financial markets, which in turn encourages investment and stimulates the economy. I like to think that what I do is socially beneficial. I have an intense dislike of scumbag lawyers such as ambulance chasers; lawyers who take superfluos procedural points and deliberately delay and obfuscate; and many divorce lawyers (my ex's lawyer comes to mind) who get rich off other people's misery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit