by blondie 44 Replies latest social current

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/3289653.htm

Posted on Sat, May. 18, 2002

Watchtower Society responds to issues raised in book

By Richard Scheinin
    Mercury News

David Semonian, a spokesman for the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, answered questions prompted by Diane Wilson's book on the Watchtower Society. (See cover story.) He spoke by phone from the organization's world headquarters in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Q Has the Watchtower ``zigzagged'' on doctrine?

A We've never claimed to be infallible, inspired or perfect as an organization. And so it's a fact that with increased knowledge, as we increase our study of the Bible and come to a better understanding, that from time to time we will make adjustments. We humbly do that.

Because we're students of the Bible, we've noted that Jesus continually reminds Christians to stay alert. He says, ``Stay awake,'' live in expectation of the great day to come. He spoke of events that would let you know that you're in the Last Days, such as earthquakes. So when we see such events, we say that indeed the great Day of Armageddon is close.

And if Armageddon is close, then paradise -- relief from sickness, disease and suffering -- is close. So it's not to scare someone. It's good news, that relief is coming. At times, we may have gotten a little anxious. And perhaps in our enthusiasm, we spoke of the possibility that it could come in a particular time period. But we never gave an exact date. We teach what Jesus spoke: ``No man knows the day or the hour.''

Q How is rape viewed?

A Any time a woman is sexually assaulted, we view it as a horrible crime. And we are there -- the elders, the congregation -- to support that person. We handle it with the utmost compassion.

Q Is the organization a direct channel between God and humanity?

A Again, our governing body has never claimed that our organization is inspired or infallible. Instead they, our governing body, study the Bible diligently and through prayer they make a request for his Holy Spirit to direct them and be upon them. And with his help, they come to decisions. So we believe this to be the channel that God is using today. But our governing body has said that it is not inspired or infallible.

Q Are close friendships tolerated with non-Witnesses?

A A person ultimately has the right to choose his friends. However, we've always encouraged members to use the Bible as a guide. Proverbs 13:20 says, ``He that is walking with wise persons will become wise. But he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly.'' Scripture such as that shows the wisdom of associating with a people who base their lives on God's standards.

Q What is ``disfellowshipping''?

A It involves someone who has committed a serious spiritual violation, such as adultery or stealing; the Bible directs that they receive a readjustment. They usually meet with three elders of the congregation, who will see if the alleged accusation is true, because sometimes it's not. And the elders will see whether the person confesses or whether there are witnesses to the act.

And if it is true, the Scriptures say to readjust the person, help them come to their senses that what they did was wrong, to show them that Jehovah God is very merciful if they change their course. So it's a very loving arrangement. The aim is to keep the person in good standing with God and the congregation.

Now if the person blatantly refuses to be helped, even after several meetings, then the Bible says in First Corinthians, ``Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that . . .,'' and then it mentions a variety of serious sins. It mentions a fornicator, an idolator, a drunkard.

This is only after they blatantly refuse the help. Then the Bible says to quit mixing with them, or the term we use is ``disfellowship.'' Other churches say ``excommunicate.''

Now, why is that loving? Because the rest of the congregation knows that they are among clean worshipers of Jehovah. They are protected against serious, wrong violators of Bible principles. The shunning has also impressed, upon the one who refuses, the need to come back to the loving congregation. It may help him come back to his senses.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Here's the link to the main article this interview is based on:

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/3289656.htm

Sorry if this didn't hyperlink. Forum code says it's supposed to.

S4 (It did!!)

• waiting
    waiting

Ahhhhhhh yes, just like when the Catholic Cardinals talk about their humble position within the Holy Church.......all the while tapping his gold-ring-encrusted fingers together in a High Steeple position - showing his true attitude.

" Any time a woman is sexually assaulted, we view it as a horrible crime. And we are there -- the elders, the congregation -- to support that person. We handle it with the utmost compassion."

Perhaps sometimes. But there's a young blond woman in Georgia who wasn't treated with "utmost compassion." She accepted a ride home from a fellow student in college (she still lived at home - freshman). He pinned her down and raped her in his truck - no drinking/drugs involved - just brute force and fear. This happened 4 years ago.

Being a decent (not perfect - just like the elders) girl, she told her parents & her elder father went with her to the elders. He resigned as an elder so that he could sit in on the meetings......he knew what they would do to her. He refused to let her go in there alone with 3 men.

Naturally, to get at her "true motive" - they questioned her repeatedly on what she was wearing, what sexual position the rape was, her motive for accepting a ride home after dark. The elders compassionately tore her apart, declared her "partaking in the sin of fornication" and disfellowshipped her. They declared her fear of death to be insufficient - as all true christians should be willing to scream and die for Jehovah - thus the old "scream" argument is still alive and disfellowshipping victims.

Btw, she explained that there was no one around to hear her scream - so it wouldn't have made any difference anyway. Obviously - she missed the real point.........common sense has nothing to do with scream/don't scream, and the consequential disfellowshipping.

I know all this because her father knew of my background & we're in the same business. At a business meeting, he approached my husband & me in the parking lot.....and we all stood there cursing the elders and crying.

"And we are there -- the elders, the congregation -- to support that person. We handle it with the utmost compassion."

And sometimes the elders are lying, hypocritical, "get-even with father agenda" minded, and just sons of bitches.

waiting

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002
    A: We've never claimed to be infallible, inspired or perfect as an organization.
    A: Again, our governing body has never claimed that our organization is inspired or infallible.

Perhaps you should have directed the interviewer to WTS literature which says otherwise:

*** Watchtower 1972 April 1 p.197
    'They Shall Know that a Prophet Was Among Them' ***

People today can view the creative works. They have at hand the Bible, but it is little read or understood. So, does Jehovah have a prophet to help them, to warn them of dangers and to declare things to come?

IDENTIFYING THE "PROPHET"

These questions can be answered in the affirmative. Who is this prophet? ... This "prophet" was not one man, but was a body of men and women. It was the small group of footstep followers of Jesus Christ, known at that time as International Bible Students. Today they are known as Jehovah's Christian witnesses. ... Of course, it is easy to say that this group acts as a "prophet" of God. It is another thing to prove it. The only way that this can be done is to review the record.

*** Watchtower 1959 January 15 pp.39-41
    'Down with the Old-Up with the New! ***

... but, Who will be Jehovah's prophet to the nations, to speak to them everything that He should command? Who will be the modern Jeremiah? ... So who will prophesy with his message in this time of the end of the nations of this world? ... How was the question answered? ... The fact that decides the answer to the question is, not, Do all the clergy of Roman Catholicism and of Protestantism agree that Jehovah's witnesses have been and are God's prophet to the nations? but, Who discerned the divine will for Christians in this time of the world's end and offered themselves to do it? Who have undertaken God's foreordained work for this day of judgment of the nations? Who have answered the call to the work and have done it down till this year 1958? Whom has God actually used as his prophet?

14 By the historical facts of the case Christendom is beaten back in defeat. Jehovah's witnesses are deeply grateful today that the plain facts show that God has been pleased to use them. ... It has been because Jehovah thrust out his hand of power and touched their lips and put his words in their mouths...

*** Watchtower 1964 October 1 p.601 Pay Attention to Prophecy ***

... for God has on earth today a prophetlike organization, ... Jehovah's anointed witnesses on earth.

*** Awake! 1986 June 8 p.9 "Would That All Were Prophets!" ***

You will be interested to learn that God has on earth a people, all of whom are prophets, or witnesses for God. In fact, they are known throughout the world as Jehovah's Witnesses.

*** Watchtower 1967 October 1 p.590
    'Finding Freedom with Jehovah's Visible Organization ***

Jehovah poured out his spirit upon them and assigned them the responsibility of serving as his sole visible channel, through whom alone spiritual instruction was to come. Those who recognize Jehovah's visible theocratic organization, therefore, must recognize and accept this appointment of the "faithful and discreet slave" and be submissive to it.

*** Watchtower 1981 December 1 p.27
    'The Path of the Righteous Does Keep Getting Brighter ***

Jehovah God has also provided his visible organization, his "faithful and discreet slave," made up of spirit-anointed ones ... Unless we are in touch with this channel of communication that God is using, we will not progress along the road to life, no matter how much Bible reading we do.

*** You Can live Forever (1982, 1990) p.255 ***
    Do not conclude that there are different roads, or ways, that you can follow to gain life in God's new system. There is only one. There was just one ark that survived the Flood, not a number of boats. And there will be only one organization--God's visible organization -- that will survive the fast-approaching "great tribulation." It is simply not true that all religions lead to the same goal . . . . You must be part of Jehovah's organization, doing God's will, in order to receive his blessing of everlasting life...

I would have bitch-slapped

David Semonian, a spokesman for the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, answered questions prompted by Diane Wilson's book on the Watchtower Society. (See cover story.) He spoke by phone from the organization's world headquarters in Brooklyn, N.Y.
    LIES, LIES, and MORE LIES.

JW Viewpoint on Discipline of Children
    --------------------------------------
    "Blows that wound cleanse away evil; strokes make clean the innermost parts." WT 1/15/1954 pgs. 54-62

• Will Power
    Will Power

Excellent,
    all answers to the likes of that WT defender should be in the form of Reborns.

The quotes are unlimited for every situation. and should be used. I purpose 5 meetings a week so that we can all memorize the answers.
    LOL

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

When rape occurs "...We handle it with the utmost compassion."

Oh, PLEAse! Some of us handle it with compassion would be a more accurate statement. My siblings and I are still waiting for our "sympathy hugs"...!

And Waiting, I could just scream at the concept of screaming during a rape! Everyone is different. I still haven't screamed during, over, and since my experience. Would they give me a break!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    with increased knowledge, as we increase our study of the Bible and come to a better understanding, that from time to time we will make adjustments. We humbly do that.

Actually, the biggest lie in this quotation is the word "humbly". The Watchtower does not make adjustments humbly. It does so very arrogantly, deceptively and authoritatively, and disfellowships anyone who disagrees with the change. Frequently, they do not even acknowledge that a change has been made but try to make it appear as if the new teaching had been in place all along. In what sense of the word can this sort of action be referred to as "humble"?

Tom

"Gentlemen, he said, I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes, I've moved your mountains and marked your cards. But Eden is burning"
    --Bob Dylan
  • SYN
    SYN

That has to be the biggest, steaming load I've seen eminating from Brooklyn in some time. Damn, but it smells bad!

"Vaccination has never saved a human life. It does not prevent smallpox." The Golden Age, Feb 4 1931 p. 293-4 - The Sacredness of Human Blood (Reasons why vaccination is unscriptural)

• Prisca
    Prisca

How can these guys lie with a straight face? I never could.

• larc
    larc

Yes,

and they never gave a date. What a lie that is. I would list them all, but all you folks aleady know all of these dates.

They might fool the general public who doesn't know the religion, but they can't fool us.

No wonder they refuse to have debates anymore. Their history is so sorry, there is no way they could defend it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit