Why are you looking forward to 1872? Er, 1873? Um...1874? Oh, I mean 1975?

by AndDontCallMeShirley 34 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

In January of 1968, WT saw Armageddon as probably "a few years" away:

"The immediate future is certain to be filled with climatic events, for this old system is nearing its complete end. Within a few years at most the final parts of Bible prophecy relative to these last days will undergo fulfilment resulting in the liberation of surviving mankind into Christ's glorious 1000 year reign!" (Watchtower, 1/5/1968)

By August 1968, Armageddon was just a few "weeks or months" away:

"Adam Created At Close Of 'Sixth Day' Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then ? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man's existence coincides with the Sabbath-like thousand-year reign of Christ....It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years.' (Watchtower, Aug. 15, 1968, p499)

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" The only way changes can get made is for one or more GB members to engage in WT-defined "apostacy"

I told the last Elder who called me the very same thing. I said ," Without someone wondering if the current "truth" was true, there would be no nu-light? How can studying and questioning be "apostasy", especially when you are right and the old view was wrong??" Crickets...and no more phone calls..

DD

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

AndDontCallMeShirley

Thanks for all the many references.

Take Care

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

All I can say is pooey on youey, Jehovah's people are not to think they are here to Listen Obey and then be Bless(thinking not allowed) in some type of imaginary way by our favorite Deity, who is like no other so what ever he says goes no questioned asked because he is alway right and never wrong we picked the winning side for a happy outcome in the imaginary future post armageddon.

That is why this council is so important now because we are closer than yesterday for these things to all take place so patients is a virtue and blessing.

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w20140715/jehovahs-people-renounce-unrighteousness/

9. How did “foolish and ignorant debates” affect the early Christian congregation?

9 God’s Word gives specific advice concerning the types of unrighteousness that Christians must renounce or reject. For instance, in the immediate context of 2 Timothy 2:19, we find that Paul tells Timothy “not to fight about words” and to “reject empty speeches.”(Read 2 Timothy 2:14,16,23.) Some members of the congregation were promoting apostate teachings. Also, it appears that others were introducing controversial ideas. Even if the latter were not directly unscriptural, they were divisive. They resulted in bickering and arguing over words, creating a spiritually unhealthy atmosphere. Hence, Paul stressed the need to “reject foolish and ignorant debates.”

10. How should we respond when confronted with apostasy?

10 Today, Jehovah’s people are not often confronted with apostasy within the congregation. Still, when exposed to unscriptural teachings, regardless of the source, we must decisively reject them. It would be unwise to engage in debates with apostates, whether in person, by responding to their blogs, or by any other form of communication. Even when the intention is to help the individual, such conversation would be contrary to the Scriptural direction we just considered. Rather, as Jehovah’s people, we completely avoid, yes reject, apostasy.

Doubting Thomases no doubt do not have God's blessing,they need to beleive in the Faithful and Discreet Slave of God and reject imposters who try to steal the sheaps for themselves,, to have orgys, and Satanic ritual, and "Doing What Thou Willist" being the battle cry till armageddon extingishes them all!!!!

Yes Jehovah happy people are on antidepressants, that how they stay happy fighting off all that cognitive Dissonance that keeps trying to befelt but denied. So the man on the outside is wasting away but the man on the inside is being renewed from day to day with the same encouraging words heard over and over again, "be loyal to the Watchtower Corporation and listen and obey the Governing Body in everything they say because God appointed them over you, therefore you can not go wrong listening to these men because they are a godsend.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

corrected WT issue for the above quote. It should read:

In May of 1968, WT saw Armageddon as probably "a few years" away:

"The immediate future is certain to be filled with climatic events, for this old system is nearing its complete end. Within a few years at most the final parts of Bible prophecy relative to these last days will undergo fulfilment resulting in the liberation of surviving mankind into Christ's glorious 1000 year reign!" (Watchtower, 5/1/1968, p.272)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Data-Dog - "...Crickets...and no more phone calls."

Way to go, doofus; you broke his brain.

• Brother Mike
    Brother Mike

My thought is the Watchtower didn't say the world would end in 1975, they pretty much said wouldn't it be interesting if it did.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The biggest and most damaging thing the WTS. does is encourage people to accept fictional mythology as if it is reality, when it quite apparently not.

The 6000 year dating calculation is imposable by using the bible as a chronological source or what ever .

Just good old fashion bullshit to inflame the emotions of the gullible naive.

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

AndDontCallMeShirley Thanks for all the references. Far too many sincere well-meaning ordinary families were hurt by all this hype and buildup around this year. Selling homes, quitting good jobs etc.

I remember a brother, a friend of mine telling me when he was a kid, his father bought a new house in mid-1974. The response from the congregation including the PO was caustic, along the lines, “Are you crazy? Aren’t you listening to the talks and counsel coming from the organization? You’ll never live in that house it’s only going to be a distraction, where’s your faith my brother? A few short years later that chastised “faithless” brother became the new Congregation Overseer, raising his kids in a nice new home. The original PO who was involved in the ridiculing fell away due to the 1975 fiasco.

Others brothers used this special “insider information” about 1975 to their self-righteous benefit. They arranged for a “balloon payment” to be made on a loan or mortgage for after 1975. These thought they would take advantage of the coming “end” to banks and loan obligations & outsmart this wicked dying old world. What a shock when the financial system was still around in 1976, 77,78,79…...asking for their money back.

• glenster

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit