Anyone have archives of talks like "stay alive till 75?"

by BU2B 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Raton
    Raton

I think 1975 is important to talk about. My wife never heard of it until I mentioned it to her only a couple months ago. She asked grandma about it and she gave the post 1975 excuse that it was a few members getting excited and they were kicked out for it. I then show her the articles and other proof that grandma is not telling the truth. Since then silence on the subject but now she knows. There are others that are just like her that still haven't heard.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

As one who was a young adult JW in 1975 I can speak to the excitement and anticipation throughout the whole organization. The written record is in the old publications and epic talks like Sinutco's and others are additional proof of the expectation of the end being BY or BEFORE '75. However, imo these don't adequately describe the atmosphere of the time. For example. we built a house in 1973. By doing that hubby didn't qualify to be a servant because he wasn't "living like the end is near". The book study spent weeks talking about how wicked the Isrealites were for "paneling their houses" A '73 Watchtower had a study article that said since we are so close to the end "not to pioneer if at all possible, is TANTIMOUNT to MURDER". Countless talks were given to postpone having children till after Armageddon, and to postpone marriage if at all possible. To even HINT that MAYBE the end wasn't imminent made you an unfit associate. Now..........................................................fast forward to the 80's and beyond. What gets me the most is that the WTBT$ BLAMED THE FLOCK for listening to them and making life changing decisions based on what THEY said. So the point is not so much being wrong about a date as it is NOT taking responsibllity for the DAMAGE to peoples lives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit