Yahoo answers for the question: Why do Jehovah's Witnesses shun former members?

by DuvanMuvan 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Why do Jehovah's witnesses shun former members?

loads of jws answered on this one. Kind of old but thought people would still wanna see it.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Active JW's are in such denial over this lie. I can barely stand to read those comments. Ugh. Thanks for sharing the link.

Do they honestly believe what they are saying? My sister is shunning me, for the simple reason that I decided not to continue studying with the JW's!

They have been indoctrinated for so long, they don't even realize how unloving and unhappy they really are. Very sad!

• losingit
    losingit

I hate that they say that the person that is df'd is not repentant and that they are willfully disobeying Jehovah. I made it clear in my JC that I really was but that I needed support bc of the abusive situation I was in. No matter. They essentially abandoned me during the worst time of my life. None of my "friends" cared about my situation. Then they wonder why I didn't make the effort to get reinstated. They were COLD. They are COLD.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It's interesting...

...the JW responses seem to only go two ways; they either deny/downplay/excuse it so much they end up looking dishonest, or they embrace it full-on and justify it so much, they end up looking like assholes.

Honestly; sometimes, I swear the WTS is its own worst enemy.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Many of the responses on the site are verbatim quotes from Watchtower literature. It's as if they just cut and paste straight out of an article or the 'Keep Yourselves in God's Love' book. I think it's interesting to see so many of them blame the person being shunned--one person going so far as to say that the DF'd person is actually shunning JWs! Ha! Now that's delusional. What they do clearly goes above and beyond treating the former member as if he's a person of the nations, since JWs would still do business with and greet non-JWs. So they may as well not bother referencing 1 Corinthians 5 in the matter.

I tried responding to it, but for some reason it doesn't seem to have gone through. But I think enough informed people have posted thoughts on there. I hope.

--sd-7

• poppers
    poppers

Many of the responses on the site are verbatim quotes from Watchtower literature. It's as if they just cut and paste straight out of an article

sd-7, I noticed the same thing. Earlier today I happened to notice someone's response to a question about meditation that sounded so "scripted" that it reeked of WT drivel. So I looked at more of this person's posts. EACH ONE was obviously a cut and paste from WT sources, most times only tangentially related to the question being asked. There was not one post that read like a regular person would answer from their own experience and their own thinking.

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

These people are in denial. I think they've reached the point of even deceiving their ownselves. You can clearly see how they generalize the disfellowshipping situation, without even thinking outside the box. It's only what the watchtower tells them too. I find it interesting how the first answer immediately turns against those who decide to leave and claim they are shunning the organization when the organization tells members to shun them! It's a very narrow viewpoint

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

A.proclaimer - "I find it interesting how the first answer immediately turns against those who decide to leave and claim they are shunning the organization when the organization tells members to shun them!"

"Look what you made me do!!!"

Hmm; I just thought of something that hadn't occurred to me before.

A lot of people have compared the treatment of ex-members by the WTS as an abusive partner, right?

Since arguing doctrine and/or focusing on failed predictions doesn't typically work with most apocalyptic millennialists, what about demonstrating to rank-and-filers how the Watchtower Society doesn't really love them (despite what they may think), nor particularly has their best interests at heart?

• KateWild
    KateWild

It was nice to see that Yahoo also included answers from ex JWs as well that gave the full picture of this damaging practice. I wonder how Yahoo decides what the best answer is. That top answer was definately a deluded JW who believes that Dfing is right, and has no idea about how it really works.

Kate xx

• Zoos
    Zoos

Kate, YAHOO doesn't decide. The person asking the question can select the answer he/she likes best or leave it to be voted on by participants.

------------------------------

It seems most JWs have a clear disconnect when it comes to the disfellowshipping/shunning matter. When they hear "disfellowship/shun", their minds automatically go directly to "unrepentant fornication, adultery, theft, lying, etc..." There does not seem to be a mental pathway that allows them to hear, "doctrinal questions, conscientious objection or peaceful exit."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit