From a Non JW Critic Post Memorial: Your Religion is Changing

by kneehighmiah 18 Replies latest jw friends

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

A non Jw relative who is a staunch critic of the WT attends the memorial with us every year, but just because she enjoys worshiping with her relatives. She fought against my parents becoming witnesses before I was born. She owns the book 30 years a WT slave and suggested I read it. Anyways after attending the memorial this year we finally talked last night. She's older so she doesn't use the internet much, so these ideas are her own. She said she took note that we didnt mention how many partook last year. She said during our don't partake portion of the speech, we usually compare the number of attendees to the number of par takers to reinforce the point to not partake. i hadn't even noticed that. She then says "you guys must have reached past 144,000 and are afraid to admit it because that all you guys used to talk about. The number of this and the number of that. Always a bunch of numbers." Then she went on a rant about 1914. I told her that this teaching is being fully exposed as a lie. "your parents have to know by know that something isn't right," she says. I told her that I'm sure they notice. But they're not gonna leave their social network behind. She the let me know that she can see our religion changing teachings again and that she doesn't see how they can keep doing this and saying its truth. We also discussed how the speaker used a WT that misrepresented her born again beliefs based on John 3. She was upset how badly the belief was misrepresented to make the JWs appear correct. Finally she added that any religion that puts down or attacks other religions to make themselves look good is usually insecure or hiding something. Interesting thoughts.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

It's a shame she's not on the internet, her points are well made! Great read, thanks.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Very astute observation!

• baltar447
    baltar447

Thanks for sharing that. She's a sharp old cookie!

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

"Finally she added that any religion that puts down or attacks other religions to make themselves look good is usually insecure or hiding something." - excellent point - I have poionted out to my wife many times how they tear others down (unfairly) to build themselves up and that if it really was the Truth they wouldn't need to do this!

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Ooh I picked up on that in our talk too, the misrepresentation of the born again standpoint. Did she mean where we said that the born again crowd decide for themselves that they're saved, but that they're clearly wrong cos some scripture or other says that it comes from ABOVE, it's not from ourselves..? cos I always understood that they gave themselves to Christ then at some future point they felt something to that end..

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

kneehighmiah:

That was a very sharp observation from somebody who is not on the internet and who has not been influenced by other people's opinions. We all know what is happening and it is nice to hear from somebody with a fresh perspective.

Yes, the JW religion is changing for the worse (IMO) at a rapid pace right before everybody's eyes! They have made an about-face on many different things and I am sure many long-time members are shocked, depressed and disillusioned, even if they keep this to themselves. I know I would be if I were still there.

Because of desperation for money (to keep all their classes supported in the style they would like to become accustomed to), the religion is becoming very strident in asking for money....We spectators will all stay tuned for their next move.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The God of peace and order has confused the hell out of me, so I give up. Guess I'll die at the big A.

DD

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

good point. Our Memorial speaker didn't harp too much about studying and associating with the JWs like they did a few years ago.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Wow! She probably has paid more attention than many jw's over the years! Very observant, sharp woman!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit