So Spill the Beans, Brothers: Were There More or Fewer At this Year's Bore-Fest

by steve2 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• smiddy
    smiddy

Whats the big deal about how many attended the memmorial celebration? Anywhere between a 1/3 to a 1/2 will not attend another meeting for another year , so what does the number of attendees this year prove? Absolutely nothing.

smiddy

• 88JM
    88JM

71 here (small congregation) - most they've ever had here, but only by a few.

Again, I would echo the sentiment that the tract campaign was pretty innefective. 4000 tracts were ordered, and about 3800 were placed.

Most of the visitors who were there were already bible studies or return visits - I can only think of one person that came off the back of the tract campaign alone.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Just because 20 million attend the memorial doesn't mean there are 20 million JW's as our speaker implied.

How many actual JW's are there now?

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

In my congregation there were about twice as many people and there are two congregations that use this particular hall. A lot of them were family/friends of some people that came over from spain recently

• nugget
    nugget

Since the number of casual lies told by the society are so many I seriously doubt that there has been an accurate memorial figure published for years and this year will be no different.

• dozy
    dozy

I doubt it will be over 20 million. The biggest attendances tend to be on weekend evenings.

I also agree that they aren't attracting educated , reasonably mental stable people now - in fact , I honestly can't remember the last person of that description who was baptised - mainly just kids of JWs. In fact , I've noticed that even the losers here that JWs used to attract are being picked up by the evangelicals or Mormons who offer a much better social & love bombing experience.

When I was growing up , for years my father had a route call with an elderly alcoholic & we dragged him every year to the Memorial - it was the only meeting he attended. He would sit there in his smelly clothes and we would try to ensure he didn't take a swig of the wine when it came around. He would go out half way through the meeting for a cigarette - I used to accompany him so my Memorial memories growing up are dominated by standing outside in the Kingdom Hall car park , usually in the rain , with an old man smoking a roll up! It just seemed totally pointless , other than maybe giving the old boy some company. Multiply guys like him by thousands , add the once a year UBMs and "spiritual submarines" who have long since faded and you get the picture of most of the "interested ones" who make up the attendance.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Well they will be one less this year, as for the first time in my life I was absent.

• Zoos
    Zoos

the imagined experience of being at several thousand consecutive kingdom halls

My GawD! What a horrifying thought. And you fell asleep to it?

While I didn't attend, I usually get wind of the invitation activity. As I mentioned in another thread, I live in a frequently worked territory and have always received an invitation in my door. Not this year. Also, the guys at work all know about my JW past and ALWAYS come tell me about their JW visitors, including invitations left in the door.

This year, nada.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

FAR less people at mine this year. Last year both back schools were completely full. This year the auditorium had lots of room, one back school contained the DFed ones.

And wow, was it ever boring. And how happified we were to have a regular meeting the night after! I think I've had my fill of meetings for a few weeks at least.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

In Latin America and I am sure Africa, memorial attendance IS at least twice if not three or more times the usual attendance. So that's where the numbers are big.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit