What do you like about K Halls?

by philo 23 Replies latest jw friends

• philo
    philo

Hi folks

What do you like about Kingdom Halls?
    I am not talking about the software i.e., the people, the pure language, the music, the smell of lavender as the toilet door swings to, or the obedient rustle of bible pages. I mean the buildings themselves, designs, locations, furnishings, security etc.
    And what do these things say about the organisation itself?
    To start this off, here's a couple of things about Khalls in the UK.
    They have no windows and very low ceilings
    The non-windows thing is horrible to see from outside. The point however is security. Khalls are always being torched by unhappy shunned family members and unstable people from the local territory who decide they don't like their bible studies any more. Well JWs WILL be persecuted - that's life. No windows combined with low ceilings means that the air gets dead fuggy during meetings unless you buy an air handling system (which can be a disproportionate part of the budget). That's the cost of making enemies by shunning, and of attracting the disaffected members of society in the first place.
    We were told that our hall would be having no windows because it would keep the cost down, and then we would not be tempted to look outside. As the hall was built on an industrial estate next to a cemetery I don’t think this was REALLY the reason. Who would want to look out the windows anyway? The place was dead.
    I wonder if there isn't something religious in it too. The only real light in a kingdom hall comes from the lights, especially from the platform lights (which can cook an egg on the PO's non-stick dome). No light comes from the 'outside world' at all. Many anglican/catholic churches have few or no windows. And those they do have are stained glass picturing saints or biblical impressions. Hence, you can have a little light, but it has to come through the filter of church understanding. More interesting, but it's not so different from the platform lights at the Kingdom hall.

philo

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Hey Philo,

Bummers that your hall was like that! All the halls I've been to here in the US were actually quite lovely. They had very large windows and I used to daydream my way through many a talk <Don't get me wrong, as you can tell if you have read my posts I'm VERY disillusioned with the JWs.>

Eyes

"One Persons Heresy Is Anothers Truth"

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hi philo,

good questions. when i was young, my kh was comfortable. we did have windows but they were higher up so when sitting during the meeting you couldn't see out the window but thankfully, the outside light was able to come in. one thing i hated was the old folding chairs we used to have to sit on. no arm rests to aid you in sleeping..hehehe. finally they got new chairs in with arm rests..YAY! i also loved the mural that was painted on the wall behind the podium. that you could certainly get lost in daydreaming.

after i left the jws, i only came back for the memorials. one memorial i almost lost it when i walked into the newly redecorated hall. it looked like someone puked pink and green up all over the walls!! it was horrendous (sp?) even the chairs were pink! and the woman's bathroom...pink explosion in there! it hurt the eyes. i asked my mom about the color choice...she just rolled her eyes and said "well, it wasn't my idea" obviously, someone with more clout then my mom was on the redecorating committee.

anyway--thanks for this question...got me chuckling at work today :)

love harmony

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

I also wanted to share...in a college composition class we had an assignment to write about a place that had or has great influence in our life. I wrote about the KH. then we had to read the essay out loud in class...i was slightly embarrassed but got through the essay and it sparked up a lot of conversation about jws in general.

h

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

...and a fine witness was given, right sister? ;)

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

six,

indeed

h

• philo
    philo

Hi OE

When my dad was getting his pilot licence in the states, he told me that all the KHs had their own piano. He said they didn't use them. They were sort of decoration.

Now that sort of decoration would not go amiss in the UK. There's just too much protestantism over there.

There's a ton more I can say about KHs -- latrer maybe

Thanks for your comments

philo

• philo
    philo

As for sisters on the decorating committee.. HuH

We had a wonderful farce. The elders made a point of gathering sisters opinions on the decorations. But when the decision came down they opted for choice 'No 2'. There were 3 choices from the RBC! These were entire colour schemes for the hall. Oh what a rukus. Give sisters a sniff at decision making and they will get the wrong idea. they will start to think they matter.

It was pathetic. The elders goofed big time.

philo

• alias
    alias

Is it just in the U.S. that KH color schemes/redecorations are all pre-packaged "society approved" carpet and color choices, or is it worldwide?

LOL, so each KH has either paint color/carpret schemes 1, 2, or 3.

I remember one of the KH's I attended had ugly orange/brown colors from the 70's. When they installed all the new fresh color mauve and green it was great. But then all the new or redecorated KH's had the same look and feel and so it lost it's novelty.

• alias
    alias

oops

Edited by - alias on 19 February 2001 23:37:48

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit