I'm postponing my JW elderette and her BS session again

by Faithful Witness 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I really do have more important things to do this week, so I am postponing my elderette again.

She has not yet contacted me for her "topic of discussion" for the week. I know she wants time to prepare her speech and presentation. She will likely ask me for a topic when I contact her.

I was going to talk about the Memorial, but have decided to ask her more about disfellowshipping, based on comments she has made. Both Miss K and Miss W have made interesting remarks about disfellowshipped people.

Miss K had a couple of stories, where she seemed frightened by the encounters she had experienced, running into DF'd ones in public. One was at a meeting or seminar with her, and she claimed that "since I did not know the details or story behind what had happened, I did say hello... But I am not going to go and have lunch with her or anything!" (Her husband is one of the top elders in the congregation. He really isn't telling her the gossip? How is she supposed to know how to behave? It seems there is still a part of her that wants to act reasonably, with forgiveness and compassion... Is that allowed with DF's ones? Is she deciding that she has the right to decide who to talk to... or is she just trying to get the gossip and be nosey?... that's how I felt when she confronted me in public with her "I don't know what happened and why you stopped coming to meetings. Is there anything I can do to help?")

Miss W made the remark at our meeting last week, "I know people who are currently disfellowshipped, and I KNOW FOR A FACT that they are not leading a clean life that pleases Jehovah!!" (What statement is she making about ALL DF'd people?)

I am concerned with the way my sister is treating me, with her decision to cut us off from her family. Her only valid reason, is that we decided not to become JW's. We weren't baptized and never agreed to their absurd rules about family vs. organization. What is the difference between me (a "nominal Christian") and my sister, a baptized JW?

What makes JW's so certain that they will be saved from destruction, and that they will get the privilege of watching the rest of the world get destroyed?

That is my question of the week... but I really need to get some work done around the house tomorrow.

I will have to put her (and her traveling show) on the shelf for another week.

• Gentledawn
    Gentledawn

With the indoctrinated black & white mentality of all JWs, you are not going to accomplish anything toward them. They will not/cannot break the indoctrination from the inside. Not without direct shock to their own systems. In order for that to happen, it would take a willingness to actually see and critically analyse what all the Watchtower leadership is doing wrong directly (how talks are structured around "persuasive speech" techniques; how many of their teachings are wrong/unscriptural/unnecessary burdens [can debate cross vs stake until cows come home and no one will ever be proven right or wrong on it]).

John 1:1 Greek wording is discussed here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/22bfpk/what_is_the_most_accurate_translation_of_the_bible/cgl8h0t

Perhaps you should assess what the actual goal is on your end of things.

Your sister is shunning you without cause. As a bible student, I made more than a few disasterous life decisions, and not a single witness deemed it necessary to shun me. Ever. Hindsight shows it was all part of the love bombing process, not anything superior in JW love at all. The sis who studied with me showed the difference between pre-covenant Israelites - eating birds without giving thanks to God first did not get them killed- versus after covenant situations that very much ended with people ending up corpses.

Pre-baptismal candidates = getting seduced by people already on the inside. You're special (drawn out by Jehovah Himself, no less!!1!!), brilliant, pretty, witty, showing a spirit of discernment and understanding... blather bloober bloop. All hogwash designed to flatter and ultimately seduce.

vs

After baptism = all the ugliness, pettiness and outrageousness coming to the fore. Personally, I didn't even know we were supposed to be bowing, scraping and general ass kissing to anything called a "governing body" until well after baptism. Also had to be corrected a few times when I used the reasoning that is put to people being proselytized to, instead of the separate rule set for people already on the inside. If you're female, you are dirt, garbage, cannot manage your own affairs and have to accept every nitpicky shitty piece of "counseling" (someone doesn't think your shoes or skirt are formal enough for field service? Yup, that's a'counseling) that comes down the pike.

-------------

Just to show odd wording differences between people being seduced (or goosed along if they are showing signs of weakness/struggling with concepts) verses people already under the hypnotic influence of the leadership (head-nodders):

Study edition November 2013
    17. What four conclusions can the elders draw from the account we have considered?

17 Elders who are reading this article can draw some useful conclusions from the account we have just considered: (1) The most practical step that we can take to prepare for the coming attack of “the Assyrian” is that of strengthening our faith in God and helping our brothers to do the same. (2) When “the Assyrian” attacks, the elders must be absolutely convinced that Jehovah will deliver us. (3) At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not. (4) Now is the time for any who may be putting their trust in secular education, material things, or human institutions to adjust their thinking. The elders must stand ready to help any who may now be wavering in their faith.

-----------

Simplified (public?) edition November 2013
    17. What four lessons can the elders learn from the account we have discussed?

17 Elders, you can learn some helpful lessons from what we have just discussed: (1) The best thing you can do to prepare for the future attack of “the Assyrian” is to strengthen your faith in God and help your brothers to do the same. (2) When “the Assyrian” attacks, you must be completely convinced that Jehovah will save us. (3) At that time, the direction that you receive from Jehovah’s organization may seem strange or unusual. But all of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether we agree with them or not, because obeying these instructions will save our lives. (4) If any are putting their trust in the education of this world, material things, or human organizations, they must change their way of thinking now. You must be ready to help any who may not be putting their complete trust in Jehovah.

• Heaven
    Heaven

FW said: I really do have more important things to do this week, so I am postponing my elderette again.

FW, I commend you for spending 3 hours with these people previously. I don't think I could have done 3 minutes. Life is way too busy for me.

Just curious here but what are your goals with these people?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Who the H*** is the Assyrian?? Did they ever say?? Is it any News Organization or Court that calls them on their BS???

FW, just ask Sister K what it means to be prejudiced? Ask her if she thinks she should be making blanket statements without really having the facts??

DD

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

You are gaining a lot of great experience Faithful Witness with your two elderettes so that you can eventually help your family to critically think for themselves. I'm proud of your progress and desire to help your JW family and other JWs to critically think for themselves.

Just remember:

1. That your emotional health and happiness, and your family's happiness and welfare come first!
    2. Learn how to control your emotions and adapt your plan(s) while listening to your elderettes like Steve Hassan says in his video Strategic Interactive Approach explained 2003 (1:23:23) .
    3. Learn how to listen compassionately to your elderettes' authentic personas, so that you can ask effective and simple questions to empower their authentic personas to critically think for themselves.
    4. Learn how to overcome thought-stopping platitudes and confront JWs about using generalities by asking them simple questions so that they question their cult personas' persepective.
    5. Relate your personal experience with your family to your elderettes and how you cannot understand how your sister treats you and your family and can say that she is a Chirstian, who follows the teachings and examples of Jesus Christ. Your opinions are valid. If your elderettes start talking down to you, try to get their authentic personas to see your prespective, ask them specific questions for them to justify their prespective using the teachings of Jesus Christ, and/or show them Steve Hassan's video How Big is the Phenomenon of Undue Influence? (2:01). It should be very difficult for your elderettes' authentic personas to justify prejudice and bigotry based on Christianity without bringing reproach on the WTBTS.
    6. Learn how to turn their cult personas on and off.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. I Corinthians 5:11

This is the scripture commonly used by the WTBTS to defend their disfellowshiping practices. It by no means justifies the following practices:

Forming secret judicial committees to determine guilt

Letting that committee determine if the repentant person is repentant enough.

Shunning people for choosing a different flavor of Christianity

Shunning people for one instance of sin (we all fall short, right?)

Shunning people for things not discussed in the bible, like celebrating Christ's birth, voting, celebrating birthdays, etc.

Shunning people for not shunning their family, if disfellowshipped.

Forcing a person to attend meetings for six months or more, before allowing them to be reinstated, while they cannot talk to anyone.

None of this is justified in the scriptures. The above scripture is clearly only talking about a known pattern of sin, where the person still claims to be a brother, there is no committee needed, each person could make that decision based on what they know about the person. The elders cannot forgive your sins. I was briefly disfellowshipped when I was young, for doing the stupid things people do when young. I had confessed in the hopes they could help me, but after only a few minutes of discussion I was promptly disfellowshipped. I was told that Jehovah would not hear my prayer. What hubris to think that they knew my heart more than God. I was cut off from my family at the time I needed them the most. The experience changed me, and not in a good way.

The prodigal son was not required to attend the temple for six months before his father forgave him, nor was any committee needed to determine that he was repentant. There are no judicial committee mentioned in the scripture, only a procedure if there was a dispute between two brothers to get assistance to resolve the dispute. I believe this policy has resulted in many broken families, much heartache and not a few suicides. It is evil, nothing could be more unChristian.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Robert, I agree that Miss K and Miss W are perfect practice subjects. They are both fully indoctrinated, and have that haughty, holier than thou attitude that makes normally polite people (like me) sort of shrink back and listen to what they have to say. I need to be quick and alert when they are with me, as they both have the tendency to come up with some doozy proclamations, and then act like they just stated a simple fact.

Miss K seems like she is on-guard with me, and that she thinks I am going to ambush her with some "apostate" information or an article that she can't defend. She is even afraid to discuss WT publications with me. Last week, as she was leaving, she asked me to come up with a topic of discussion for our next meeting. When I asked if we could talk about a specific WT article that I found confusing, she said, "Well, if we do that, then you aren't really going to be learning what the BIBLE says..." It didn't really hit me, until hours later, that she had just admitted to me that the Watchtower magazine isn't teaching you what it says in the Bible.

Gentledawn: I know exactly what you're talking about. I experienced the same treatment. When you're a BS, every favor they do for you, can be counted as field service time (if I'm not mistaken). They cleaned my house, watched my kids, even mowed our lawn once after our auto accident. I have been working in little seeds of thought regarding that very issue with my mom, now that she finally got baptized as a JW after studying for a few years and riding the fence. (I had told her! The perfect position to be, is Bible Student. I guess she didn't get the message, and the peer pressure got too strong for her). She was recently hospitalized and sick for weeks. I asked her how many JW's came over to check on her or called, or even visited her in the hospital. She said, "None. I told Dad not to tell them." Now, why they didn't notice her absence at meetings and in field service, I couldn't figure out. I know she feels guilty, and didn't want to be bothered when she was sick... but it DOES seem like you'd want to see your "real" friends, or at least 1 or 2 people have become worthy of your attention by now. She doesn't seem to have any friends at the KH, although they always have comical stories about "people from the hall."

The thing that really sickens me, is that even though they do not profess to have any real friends at the KH, I am pretty confident that my parents absolutely WILL follow " the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not." She denies it now, that she would actually "drink the kool-aid," but really... if everyone else in the KH or assembly hall is doing it, do you think you would have the backbone to speak up and admit you'd rather follow your human instinct for survival... When JEHOVAH is directing you to do something, no matter how inhumane?? Sadly, I don't think my mother would dare to speak up. The rest of my JW family is completely lost, and the children would just be forced to comply.

My mother admitted to me that she sometimes just reads the "simplified" version of the Watchtower. She claims it is easier to understand. I had never compared those 2 paragraphs before. Thanks for showing the difference, particularly in this bizarre and disturbing article.

Heaven: I don't have any specific goals with these 2 ladies. They were barely acquaintances when we did attend meetings. I don't know what their intentions are either, since I told Miss K upfront, "It is very unlikely that I will ever become a Jehovah's Witness." I have the same question of them, unless they just want easy hours, and to practice their arguments on a different level.

I guess I have to confess I am using them as practice subjects. When I ask questions to Miss K, it helps me to see what kind of answer I *might* get from my mom when I ask her the same. I have been taken off guard a few times by responses I have received from my family members and other JW's.

LisaRose: I'm not sure where I fit into this scenario. The worst "crime" I have committed from that list in 1Cor, has been to go to a real church. My sister did tell me her reasoning behind keeping her children away from my house, "to protect them." When I asked her what from, she replied, "You know. Idolatry. Apostasy." Since I was never a "brother," I don't even know if she should be applying this regulation to me and my family.

Since I was never a JW, I can only conclude that her decision is not a biblical or JW one, but just that she chooses not to communicate with me now, "because of recent encounters we have had, and their effect on my emotions." She has not replied to any of my questions about her last statement to me, so I can only assume that I make her doubt, or that she knows what she is doing is wrong. This battle she is waging isn't about me, but that she has decided to dedicate her life to this high-control organization, and to force her children to do the same.

I realize that any time I spend with Miss K and Miss W, are not going to have any impact on anyone but me. I am getting more confidence, and learning how to handle myself when they are using their bullying and manipulating tactics. They are great practice subjects, and hopefully will make it less likely for me to make such terrible errors with my parents in the future. The elderettes will also provide ME with "stories" from JW's, that I relay to my mom, and share my observations, without putting her on the defensive as much. She does not know these women.

DATA-DOG: I don't know if they identified the "assyrian." I know that the UN was brought up again, as well as the "disgusting thing that stands in the holy place." You could be right in your guess... The statements and warnings really make it seem like they have something specific planned. Articles since have hounded on the issue of being ready to "obey."

When I asked my mom if she thought the governing body spoke directly for God, she didn't even take a breath before she said, "Yes." I wonder if she surprised herself with that quick response... I know it threw me.

• Heaven
    Heaven

FW said: I guess I have to confess I am using them as practice subjects. When I ask questions to Miss K, it helps me to see what kind of answer I *might* get from my mom when I ask her the same. I have been taken off guard a few times by responses I have received from my family members and other JW's.

Ah, I understand. I hope you can help your family.

I used to point out the falisies to my parents. I tried to be kind about it. I don't know if it helped at the time. I also lived my life in direct contrast to what Botchtower says about 'worldly' people. So I was living proof that what they claimed was not true. When my Dad started having problems, he wanted my help. When I was helping him through his cataract surgery and post-surgery regimen, I asked him directly if he wanted the people from his congregation to help him.

He said "No. I want your help. You are supportive."

I was in shock. But I thought to myself I guess all these years of not crapping on my parents for their religious choices and continuing to maintain a relationship with them even though it had been difficult at times, was worth it.

Today, my Dad suffers from dementia. He is in a nursing home. All the staff say he is a happy and kind man. His former cult self has vanished. He does not mention the religion at all. He told me he doesn't want the people from his former congregation visiting either.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Faithful Witness - Miss K seems like she is on-guard with me, and that she thinks I am going to ambush her with some "apostate" information or an article that she can't defend. She is even afraid to discuss WT publications with me. Last week, as she was leaving, she asked me to come up with a topic of discussion for our next meeting. When I asked if we could talk about a specific WT article that I found confusing, she said, "Well, if we do that, then you aren't really going to be learning what the BIBLE says..." It didn't really hit me, until hours later, that she had just admitted to me that the Watchtower magazine isn't teaching you what it says in the Bible.

Hi Faithful Witness, Miss K said a "DOOZY". LOL.

The battle between a JW's cult and authentic persona is amazing and you should be prepared to take advantage of those opportunities all the time with innocent and simple questions! JWs don't need to read non-WTBTS approved information to have doubts about the WTBTS. They just need to hear their own contradictions by you repeating what they said and asking them why they feel that way or did you correctly hear what they said. Let them know that what they tell you privately is between you and them and no body else.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Enlightenment123
    Enlightenment123

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an elderette?

I am trying to speak to my family too. They're very deeply indoctrinated. Everything I've said thus far has had no effect that I can see. Except...now, if I mention something about the Bible, my mom becomes pretty hateful, and has taken to not answering my phone calls or texts. She's sick with bronchitis right now, been in bed for a few days. She actually asked me a question the other day that I answered. She didn't like the answer. She said, "Whatever." That doesn't sound rude, but you have to know my mom. It was meant to be rude. I asked if there was anything I could do for her, since she was sick. She blew me off and said she didn't need my help. This really hurts me. I have lots of family in the JWs. My grandpa is an elder, his son too. I've tried to talk to my Grandmother. At first, I thought she was at least a little receptive. I spoke to her and my grandpa both at the same time about a week ago. After that, they seem angry with me and I haven't spoken to them since then. I was calm and polite. I simply pointed out a few things in the Bible that contradict WT teachings. I've been looking for help. Is there a method I'm not aware of that can somehow get around the indoctrination? Is there a Tony Robbins phrase I can say? lol

This 11/15/13 WT you guys are talking about...it's sinister! It's threatening. It is really scary. I asked on another thread what people thought about it. If anyone else thought the WT has an endgame. I think they do. I think they are planning something big - Waco style. Hearing about the survival kits and this new place they're building...something is definitely up. I'm not sure which version of that mag is worse. I definitely think a "drink the Kool-Aid", take this "magic pill", or "it's time, Jehovah says murder the worldly people for him" thing is in the works. I absolutely believe we have to find a way to reach these people. We have to get them away from this dangerous group. It's wrong on so many different levels, I think it would take till Kingdom come to write it all down. Ugh.

Oh..I asked my mom if she would follow any directions she received no matter how crazy it was. She said yes without hesitation. She believes it's coming straight from Jehovah. They all do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit