Is it common for Jehovah's Witnesses to turn to alcohol when they realize the Watchtower is a scam

by Watchtower-Free 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I'm sure it's fairly common. It didn't happen in my case, though. I started drinking long before then.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

Yeah, as other's have stated, in my experience, it's just common for JW's to turn to alcohol period. I like my whiskey, but almost all my JW family can easily drink me under the table.

• warehouse
    warehouse

I am a born-in and yes, I regularly get hammered, especially drinking beer by myself. Instead of hanging out with some cute girl and having a family, I usually just sit at home and drink beers and then add them to my beer list. Bleh.

Though, for some odd reason, I don't get fat, I stay thin.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I'm drinking more. Fancy a stout right now. Stuff it, going to have one....

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

There were several brothers we knew who were huge drunks. We knew of one couple, the husband was an elder wellthoughtof, and his wife kept telling the elders that he was blind drunk every night and abusing her verbally. They kept telling her not to talk about her husband that way. Finally she moved out and separated from him. She was disfellowshipped quicker than you can swat a skeeter. Because she spoke disparagingly about an elder!

Amazingly she went through all the crap you have to go through to get reinstated and jumped right back in, even though by that time her drunken booby of a husband had divorced her and found another dumb woman to victimize.

(Me to self: Tell me again WHY you stayed in that cowpie of an organization 30 years?!)

Marina

• warehouse
    warehouse

disposable hero wrote:

Fancy a stout right now. Stuff it, going to have one....

what kind?

• Comatose
    Comatose

I became an alcoholic my last two years in the org. I couldn't deal with the cognitive dissonance I was experiencing. It was horrible. I wasn't a drunk. I just drank everyday all day. Started in the morning and went till late at night. Somehow kept my job and marriage together and hid it from almost everyone. I used to keep bottles of bourbon and whiskey hidden in places so I could leave the room and take drinks without being seen as an alcoholic. Boxed wine was great too. No one knew when it would it be empty and I could just replace the box as if it never happened. I was spiraling down and suffering from depression that only drinking seemed to help.

Then I decided to get clean and confront my issues. I got some help with meds for the anxiety/depression and stopped drinking. I'm 15 months sober today. Getting out of the cult helped me quit drinking.

• jam
    jam

I stopped drinking after I left the cult.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

A MS in our hall used to give parts/talks drunk. People who knew him could tell he was blitzed.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I know I started drinking A LOT more after I had been an elder for a couple of years, and right through my personal crisis that led me to "step down" and eventually to TTATT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit